• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Can you be prescribed suboxone if you're prescribed klonopin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Mambo

Bluelighter
I recently got off vivitrol, I didn't like it so now I'm thinking of getting on sub's but I have been prescribed klonopin for years. I didn't know if that'd be a problem or not

I believe it depends on the doctor, dose, how serious the doctor thinks u r, and if you are a heavy ex user

Back when I was getting clean from my opiate(mainly heroin) addiction, I was going to a methadone clinic(I've NEVER been on methadone maintenance EVER) because they prescribed me suboxone pills there...Which worked much better for me since I only had to go once a month. At the same time, I was seeing a psychiatrist who was prescribing me clonazepam and temazepam(for reasons unrelated to drug addiction treatment). All doctors involved knew all medications I was taking, and I noticed NO problems with taking the benzos while on suboxone.
BUT...everyone is different, and ALWAYS make sure you are as safe as possible and talk to your doctor about possible options as well as any concerns/questions you may have about mixing these two medications together. Suboxone(or rather buprenorphine) is an extremely potent drug, especially to opiate naive people, so you need to make sure everything has been approved by your dr(s).

The vivitrol injection didn't help my cravings plus I had to do an Iop program (ten hours of counseling a week) I moved and can't go to those classes. I wouldn't say heavy ex user but I've been an addict for four years. I'm hoping the Dr will understand

Overall I'm pretty serious about it. I don't want to go back to heroin and I think suboxone is a better alternative than the former despite the flack suboxone gets

The cravings aren't really going to go away. That's a common misconception. A lot of people believe that taking a drug(a non full agonist opiate) that prevents you from being able to get high off of heroin or whatever will also prevent them from having cravings. While suboxone, for example, will prevent you from going thru WD's, it will not take away the craving to get high that you feel, which is much more of a psychological issue than it is a physical one.
The only real "cure" for cravings is TIME and a healthy lifestyle filled with positive distractions. If you work hard and wait long enough, eventually you will wake up one day and realize you don't feel the need(craving) to get high. Although there will always be triggers for the rest of your life that "remind" you of how good getting high feels. Like for me, every time I listen to a certain song by Deltron 3030, it reminds me of how FUCKING AMAZING it felt to do coke for the first time as that was the song I was listening to when I did my first line(even though coke was never my DOC).

jB

Haha that's a good song. I've heard people say sub's should only be used to get people through withdrawal. I took sub's everyday for six months and had no desire to go find an opiate. After that messed up i went back to h. I'm just willing to give it a shot.

Yea I don't believe in long term use of suboxone(bupe) unless it's a unique circumstance. I was only on Suboxone for a fairly short period of time(I forget exactly how long since it was 7 years ago), but in the short time i was taking sub I had no WD's and and I was able to get off of it without ANY problems at all.
Although, to be completely honest, I was prescribed like 16 mgs/day, yet I only took about 0.5 mgs twice a day. Taking any dose of sub UNDER 4 mgs(preferably under 1 or 2) works best IMO. There has been TONS of discussion on this subject of "less is more" when it comes to suboxone on BL so if you search for it you can find it.
Taking these tiny doses of sub works better for me(and others) because buprenorphine's metabolite norbuprenorphine is a FULL AGONIST like heroin or oxy and as a result it can actually make you feel somewhat buzzed when you take low enough doses(i know, it sounds odd). This happens because bupe has a stronger affinity to your brains receptors than pretty much all other opiates, including its full agonist metabolite norbupe, so when you take a prescribed dose like 8mgs, 16mgs, 32mgs, etc. it fills all your brains receptors with bupe, which, because of its high binding affinity, prevents the norbupe metabolite from binding to any recetors...preventing you from benefiting from any of the norbupes full agonist effects.
BUT....if you only take like 0.2 - 2 mgs of sub, you are leaving room in your brain for the norbupe to bind to your opiate receptors, which can(and DOES in my experience) give you a nice little buzz that's not too intense and can help stave off cravings. Although, keep in mind, if you are already taking a higher dose(8mg +) of suboxone, you will need to lower your dose down to a much lower level and then stay at that level for at least a week or so before you can potentially benefit from the full agonist capabilities of norbupe. This is a result of the LONG half life of bupe and the RIDICULOUSLY LARGE doses of sub people are constantly being prescribed.
I just simply never told my sub doc that I was only taking tiny amounts of sub in order to maximize its benefits in this way. Another good reason for taking such low doses of sub is that it makes it SOOOOO much easier and faster to get off of suboxone once it is time.

jB

Sorry, but this is impossible to answer, as laws differ in every state etc.
Just ask your doctor..

My docs (past 2 sub docs) have had no issues prescribing both meds to me, except I now get subutex instead of suboxone, 8mg a day.. and 3mg of kpin a day with a few extras... My current doc also started me on Adderall as well, like a year ago.. Now the previous doc I had for subs, who was a good doc, just too far away from where I moved to when I moved a couple years back he would ONLY prescribe suboxone, no matter what, unless you were a pregnant female, and while that pissed me off, having to pay out of pocket for suboxone (the generic white tabs) which were way more expensive without insurance than subutex... He was very liberal about prescribing me benzos with the subs.. he was the original doc to prescribe me klonopin in the first place, 5 years or so ago.. he also had me on 5mg a day of them, while my current doc, will not go over like 3-4mg a day, wont just give me 4mg even though I really should be on 5mg at least, but she is cool in different ways... had no problem with switching me to subutex, when I told her I had no insurance... and also didn't mind at all putting me on Adderall when I asked, after being diagnosed with ADHD, after living my whole life without any knowledge I really had it.. My old doc prob would have done the same.. but I never asked.. My current doc even knew I was an ex-cocaine user, for failing multiple random UAs when I started going there... she still gave me Adderall IRs off the bat, even knowing I used to abuse stimulants which REALLY surprised me!

Now, sorry I went a little off topic with the whole Adderall thing, as I know your question has nothing to do with that.. My point is, some doctors are much more laid back about prescribing benzos with subs.. some aren't.. My first ever sub doc, who knew I had crippling social/general anxiety wouldn't even THINK about putting me on benzos.. he told me I had a death wish asking to be prescribed something other than SSRIs, which I tried tons of different meds of that class for anxiety.. and none helped! He also gave me no option of maintenance or a taper with the suboxone he had me on, and tried to cut me off in like 2 months entirely.. starting me at like 16mg or some stupid high dose, and cutting my dose in half each visit every 2 weeks.. until I was at 2mg a day, it didn't help.. I tried telling him it wasn't curbing my cravings like 8mg was, and he didn't listen.. that resulted in me relapsing on oxy, even worse than I was before going to see him.. worst sub doc ever! He had all 1 star/F ratings on google when I typed his name in..

So look up sub docs in your area on google, or on whatever search engine your prefer... and see if they have any ratings, which one has the best, and also isn't too expensive.. My current doc is one of the cheapest sub docs in my area, and is an all around great doc in my opinion.. not solely because of what she prescribes me, because she actually knows who I am and gives a fuck about me... my other doctors, including the previous one who started me on kpins, just saw me as patient #50 (or whatever it was that day) of the day... not really interested in my life at all.. just asked how I was, gave me scripts, and I was out in 10 mins.. I didn't really love that tbh. So yeah.. before just going to any sub doctor, look into them first.. trust me! Also, klienerkiffer is correct, a lot of this question you asked, has to do with what state your in.. I live in FL.. its really kind of random here... some of my friends go to sub docs who wouldn't think of ever putting them on both suboxone and any benzo.. some will only give them like 0.5mg of kpin a day, even though they feel they need at least 2-3mg a day.. some don't mind at all mixing the two, like mine now, and will gladly give you what ever it takes to keep you off the streets and off dope/opiates.

Good luck to you!

Sorry, but this is impossible to answer, as laws differ in every state etc.
Just ask your doctor..

This is certainly true. But I can also relay my own experience that I never had a problem getting both drugs (subs and klonopin) at the same time.

Actually I'm currently prescribed 60 MG's of adderall so that part was helpful as well. Thanks!

The rehab I was at, everyone there for Heroin/Strong opiates got a Rx for Suboxone and Klonopin.

including me. lol

Yeah if it keeps me from going back on heroin I'll get on sub's. I don't want to be strung out again.

Yeah if it keeps me from going back on heroin I'll get on sub's. I don't want to be strung out again.

GREAT choice. IMO suboxone is a FAR better medication to take to get clean than methadone(MMT is basically the only other "real" option). Not only does suboxone not get you high if you are already an opiate abuser with a high tolerance, but it also isn't a full agonist like methadone. And as we all know, a TON of people on MMT simply use the treatment to "supplement" their opiate habit...and they tend to stay on MMT for years and years. I have often read reports on BL from people who have been on MMT for over 2 decades. That is unacceptable. That is not treatment, but rather "replacing one drug for another"(as people say) in the truest sense of the phrase.

jB

^ No doubt, I never got take homes at clinic, I didn't stop dope until I switched to sub, because sub actually blocks dope.

My doctor was skeptical about sub and k's since he believed the anti-anxiety properties of the suboxone was enough. I described my bad social anxiety so he cut me some slack and prescribed them both to me. He would ask me to bring in K bottle every visit to make sure of no abuse, but he never checked.

Subs have never taken away MY anxiety... may work for some people? I am not sure.. but I need anti-anxiety meds, benzodiazepines specifically to do anything for my anxiety... subs do make me feel happy when I am feeling down and angry.. for sure, they have some anti-depressant effects.. but as far as anxiety goes... you would have to be either really sensitive to bupe, or entirely naïve to opioids/opiates for it to take away anxiety.. Some sub docs really need to get all their facts in order! There are some really bad, and very wrong sub doctors out there, prescribing this medication... that should have never been able to! I have been to them, and most of the time they have NO idea what they are talking about... there are also tons of wonderful doctors out there, who actually DO know what they are talking about...

My first sub doc, was so fucking stupid... how he ever was allowed to prescribe them.. I will never know! Hated that fucking idiot, he did NOTHING to help me.. and basically put me on subs and took me off WAY too quick for my comfort, then I relapsed... like I wanted to do the entire 1 month I went to him and went from 16mg(too much!) to less than 1mg in a month, while actually trying to get off oxy... and actually taking the sub.. then he got me down to way too low a dose, way too soon, thus causing me to run straight to the old plug, and pick up a shit load of oxy IR 30s and relapse! Then he kicked me out.. and tbh, I am SO glad he did.. I had no idea, at that time.. that there were really good sub docs out there, who actually care about the feelings/thoughts/wellbeing of their patients!

So.. Again, I will say... please, look into sub doctors before going to them... if you have multiple docs in your area! if not, I hope you have a good doctor! good luck OP, and really anyone reading this thread considering getting on sub... check the doctors out on google, see what kind of ratings they have.. my first doc, had an F rating.. lol.

Personally if I had a loved one addicted to opioids id rather them take suboxone for the rest of their life hell id even drive if that helps them not go back to getting them off the street. If they can go off all opiates that is great. But I think a big thing the abstaince type thinking I saw at rehabs is the harm from long term pharmaceutical grade theraputic doses of suboxone does not carry the two risks i saw with my opiate user friends I met and relatives injecting fentanyl and dying and getting hiv or something

Wanted to add that it's not just methadone programs where ppl use heroin/opiates along with their meds. As a matter of fact where I live it is much more common for someone on suboxone/subutex prescribed by private drs to actually sell their scripts and use that $$ to buy heroin & other narcotics. Or if using subutex rather than suboxone they are able to get high fromantic other opiates being there is no blocker in Subutex. I think this is due more you the strict regulations that are placed on Methadone clinics that are not placed on suboxone/subutex. Methadone clinics are heavily regulated and really it is us the clients that pay for this & jump through hoops for treatment. On the other hand although there are of course regulations on suboxone/subutex they are nothing like that of Methadone. Our clinic offers the choice of suboxone and subutex but you get take homes from the start whereas with Methadone you have to come daily for 3+months before being allowed just 2 take home doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.