• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Acamprosate Calcium and NMDA antagonism

I'm surprised chlormethiazole is the drug of last resort. It is wonderful stuff IMO. I don't take for alcohol related reasons, I rarely drink enough to get drunk.

I take it off-license for seizure prophylaxis and also, I get a secondary script of the same drug, for use when a seizure threatens or just beginning and I can still do something about it. A couple of those wee ethereal-fermenting overripe apple/metallic-smelling plastic-attacking eggs and bang, seizure stopped, as if hit with a .50 caliber raufoss round to the back of the head. Efficient in the extreme, and after several years of daily use as a preventative, even if I stop for several days abruptly, I am only back where I started, without seizure prophylaxis etc. No withdrawal syndrome. And it is SO fast acting. As soon as them wee grey eggs burst open in my throat (one can feel it, as a kinda warming, pleasant burn sensation, as well as when it comes on, a tingling in the back of the bridge of one's nose) then moments later, easily as fast as a shot of spirit alcohol or a spoonful of oral diethyl or diisopropyl ether, its active, and easily able to stop my seizures dead in their tracks, as if shot down.

Librium/chlordiazepoxide, yeah agreed, its possibly the most weak, shittiest benzo on the books. At least here, it is in the UK, that or the awful, awful oxazepam (I don't like benzos that produce a significant amount of oxazepam as a metabolite as the stuff is prone to causing me paradoxical reactions which are quite uncomfortable.

Ironically, reading this, I'm on 4 of those chlormethiazole gelcaps, And I'd say they are more a slightly brownish grey rather than grey. Very nice stuff. A barbiturate binding site allosteric positive modulator at GABAa, but without the memory and headfucking antiglutamatergic effects of barbs. Duration-intermediate, short-medium end of intermediate. About right, really. And as long as it isn't in overdose (and it shouldn't be consumed with any more alcohol, than a low dose combined with a beer, maybe two if your used to it and know your limits well, and are not using it for alcoholism treatment.)

Unfortunately its somewhat hard to get in the UK (I mean, if a doctor has printed you out and signed a script for it, actually translating the script into a glass bottle or pot full of heminevrin capsules can be difficult, as a lot of pharmacies do not seem to stock it. One near me tells me their supplier doesn't carry chlormethiazole, so I have to go up out of my ways to a further away pharmacy to get my scripts for chlormethiazole, morphine, oxy and nitrazepam at the same place, plus my stomach meds and tizanidine (muscle relaxer I take for nerve damage-induced muscle spasm in one leg that is really severe at times without) and clonidine (that I take to stop me getting overloads, and it does help protect me against overloading nicely too)

(the nitrazepam I only use occasionally, its having been accidentally put on a repeat, indefinite prescription after I told my doc I needed some anxiolytic, preferably nitraz, for a specific set period of time, during which I was facing some rather nasty potential events, of a kind that have left me traumatized in the past and had to do some psychedelic-catalyzed self work on PTSD a a result. It got put on repeat by accident it seems, and I've collected it ever since, but I only use it when my pain meds run low (I'm a chronic pain patient), and take about 70mg over two days or the entire 70mg over a day and night, to TRY and get a bit of sleep, what with my hips hurting as badly as they do, when the IM morphine and the oxy wear thin the night before a refill, to avoid becoming benzo dependent)

Got to say, if given the choice between a benzo and chlormethiazole, chlormethiazole beats the everloving screaming shit out of any benzo, ever, gives a nice clear headed high if used (CAREFULLY) recreationally, no morning after brainfog, kills my seizures stone fucking dead..does need storing in a glass container though. Oh and never leave the 'eggs' out on plastic either, enough vapor comes out of them if they aren't kept cold to burn holes in oh, say, computer keyboards that look just like small chlormethiazole caps, and you need to gouge out the capsule, plastic and all, cut away the plastic with a scapel if you are to save that dosage unit.

What is the experience with campral/acamprosate subjectively like? pleasant? neutral? unpleasant? Been curious about it for a while. For say glutamatergic insult, does it seem like it might be helpful?

The reasons are it's toxic in overdose or mixed with other CNS depressants and barb-like in the dependence liability stakes. I knew a couple of guys who got hooked on it as far back as the 70s. They were engineers and when installing new kit in a Swedish coal mine, they realized they were going to run out. 220km each way to the nearest place they could obtain them from a crooked pharmacist. Ironically, they initially took to them to get off Tuinal. I have to say barbs are a fast way to AAT (assume ambient temperature). I was around in Manchester and saw the barb fiends 'flitting from tree to tree'. It's unwholesome stuff and for me it was kill or cure. Now it is basically used WHEN the only option is kill or cure. A couple of beers on top of a couple of eggs is enough...

The only plus side is that they are legal worldwide. Don't all rush out and try them. If your alcoholism is killing you, find out more and make an informed choice. I spent almost the whole time asleep but taking two, forgetting you took them and taking two more is a CLASSIC way to pull a blue.

In my experience, although I'm aware of the toxicity in overdose of chlormethiazole, I have found it more forgiving than any other GABAergic, unless one were to count really really mild GAT inhibitors and the like such as in lemon balm tea. Seriously, it shocked the crap out of me too. Bearing in mind that I am not taking them whilst already dependent on anything, but as seizure monotherapy (I take it as a regular dose, 3xdaily, every day, to prevent them, and should I suffer a breakthrough one, as I did earlier today, then I get an extra bottle to serve as a 'rescue pack' so I don't have to dip into my prophylaxis dose to treat a breakthrough.)

They DO happen still, but far, far far less often, and the times I've been forced to do several days off before the damn doctors acceded to my request for a small amount extra so I could respond to breakthrough seizures and not be left without because I had to use my prevention dosing schedule script to kill the fuckers, even then, I didn't suffer GABAergic withdrawals.

If used recreationally, it has to be dosed really carefully, and don't drink unless your really used to chlormethiazole, and if you do drink AT ALL, then keep it really, really low. Preferably not at all, unless maybe supping a pint over an hour etc. or limiting it to just a very low dose of chlormethiazole and one beer.

That said I seem to be pretty hard to put down. Its a nuisance, so probably better not follow any of my examples. Shit, I remember making 'vodka' of a sort, using a fruit juice to dilute azeotropic EtOH down to 70-80% whilst on the same meds, plus pain meds and nitrazepam. Just because someone can survive it doesn't mean anyone else ever should try it. And I'm definitely not the example anybody ought to follow in that respect. Anything else, sure, I'm perfect afterall, but that one, fuck no=D

Recreationally, out of everything I've ever tried by way of GABAergic depressants, chlormethiazole is in my top three, along with barbs and in 3rd place, muscimol. The tolerance (or rather lack of it) from chlormethiazole though, that really does surprise me big time. I don't know of any other GABAa depressant that I could take for years several times a day and not end up dependent on the stuff. Can't say as I exactly like the look of the terminal alkyl chloride, much, especially considering I might be on the stuff for the duration, so to speak. But, at least its been very forgiving with respect to dependency not happening, its damn fast acting and effective for bringing me out of a breakthrough seizure. Great stuff.

I believe it was produced in Spain. The livery had stickers in English on the box and a (computer) printed PII (patient information insert). He did find them helpful but the benefit wained. That is when he was given the drug of last resort - clomethiazole.

Believe it nor not, 20 years ago I was drinking 2 bottles of vodka per day (1.5l) and the doctor gave me chlorodiazepoxide (Librium) and it was USELESS. I ordered 90 Heminevrin from Austria (if memory serves) and spent 16 days reducing the dose. I didn't touch alcohol for 7 years and even now it is at the 1 beer per week level. That I had to use such a risky drug meant I leaped at the chance to do the QSAR work on the pyridinyl benzodiazepines. I see pyrazolam appeared after the paper was published but it was the alcohol replacement we were seeking. In the end, QI-II-66 is possibly the best agent known to science to help people dry out. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the '2 chloro derivative would be even longer lived thus less euphoric (open to abuse) and really save lives.

I send my heartfelt wishes that you get where you want to be. People don't realize that alcohol is worse than opioids but I know it's hard... but if you want things to change, they will. If you crack one day, don't give up. Never give up giving up.

what is QI-II-66?? some experimental drug?
i agree with both of you about librium, useless crap. i got some recently, i just gave them away, what a crap. ive never tried clomethiazole so that one is the best choice in your opinions?? reading a bit about it, makes me feel uncomfy that is barb, and mixing it with alcohol can be deadly since i dont really have good self control. it happened when i was prescribed baclofen for alcohol withdrawal, only ending up drinking on it and experiencing near death experience. but if thats the only real good choice, i might have to take it :s

200px-QH-II-66.svg.png

QH-II-66 is an experimental benzodiazepine which is more selective for alpha5 subunits of the GABA receptor than other subunits where less selective benzos bind.

170px-Clomethiazole_structure.svg.png

Clomethiazole isn't actually a barb, chemically speaking, but it works in a very similar fashion as a drug.

I believe that like barbs, carbamates, piperidinediones, quinazolinones and the variously substituted branch-chained haloalcohols, clomethiozole's action is mediated by the picrotoxin receptor site. I may be wrong.

Strangely, one of the most interesting is chloral hydrate. While the full profile of activity isn't known, it appears to work more like the inhalational anesthetics. I've had so many surgical operations that I can actually remember the times when I was a kid and how much better things have got over the many decades. What surprised me was that said anesthetics are abused. Chloral hydrate with it's long and documented history can tell us a lot about who,when and why people took/take the stuff for other than hypnotic reasons. It just strikes me as the only such drug to widely reach the public thus the sample size is vast.

Well, Limpet_Chicken, I'm glad it works for you. Unusual choice (I take a stack of clobazam and clonazepam to prevent seizures). The thing is, tonic-clonic seizures look awful to someone seeing it but it doesn't hurt per se. Waking up with a tongue that hurts like the worst pizza burn you can imagine is what I get. Bruises as well, but where there is no sense there is no pain ;-)

Yeah its a barbiturate/picrotoxin site agonist. Why do you say unusual choice? if I had been taking clonazepam/clobazam for 4-5 years or thereabouts, daily, what do you reckon the odds would be of me being able to walk away without withdrawal symptoms if circumstance forces it to happen, like say, a closure of pharmacies due to holidays etc. that a surgery didn't take care of or some other such crap? I'd say pretty damn microscopic that it wouldn't cause seizure in somebody who was taking them at such a therapeutic dose and frequency, and they'd certainly feel pretty fucking shitty as a result)

But why unusual choice? IMO its a pretty good one at least in my experience. And for a rescue remedy IMO its without par, for something that could be stuck up someone's ass etc. if put up in suitable delivery tubes (like diastat) for a carer to use. Albeit teflon lined ones, what with the habit of chlormethiazole to eat plastic for breakfast). It works (orally) REALLY fucking quickly and it packs a mighty hefty punch when called on to do so. And for a barb-like ligand not causing me any physical dependency, thats pretty much unthinkable for a GABAa agonist as a generality. And it lacks the antiglutamatergic effects of barbs (they block AMPA type glutamate receptors, not sure if they are silent antagonists or negative modulators, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if thats why barbs are so messy and have that way that they do of really leave one really squirrely after taking barbs (most experience I've had is with barbital, orally, either as the free acid or its sodium salt, one of the longer acting ones, although an awful lot better than phenobarb, and quite recreational, unlike pheno which is just a chemical big stick aimed at the back of one's head by a mighty big hand)...kind of an inverse nootropic though, the antithesis of an AMPAkine.

IIRC chloral hydrate is unusual, in being one of the very few, if not only GABAa-ergics that doesn't suppress epileptiform discharges on an EEG. Can't remember where I read that, but apparently so.

Could you provide any more info on chloral hydrate and its similarity to inhalational anaesthetics? chloral isn't really one I've studied in great detail. I've more use for it ex-vivo than in, as a component of Melzer's reagent (a mixture of chemicals including iodine and chloral hydrate, used for testing spore samples of fungi for colorimetric assistance in identification of fungi, since I'm rather an enthusiastic muncher of mushrooms, and always quick to pounce on a wild delicacy, sprouting its way out of the leaf litter or a moldering tree-trunk somewhere out in the woods, take back a tray full of exotic fungal treats to fry up, roast, or whatever else is best or needed to cook what I find with a nice juicy couple of slabs of steak and a frosty pint of ale, the Melzer's is helpful in that it can narrow things down by giving one of three different colorimetric reactions with fungal spore scrapings)

My seizures usually don't hurt after, since they usually are atonic, or atonic with myoclonic parts rather than full tonic-clonic so there isn't usually any physical battering taken. But it has happened. Have gone down the stairs arse over tit before. Or even THROUGH the stairs, more than once. Replaced the top bannister support rods with a solid wooden board to create a walkway after there were so few of the things left that it was the safer option, even for someone perfectly healthy.

Chloral though...ugh. Its awful on the stomach. And my insides don't like me very much (I'm on cimetidine, hyoscine butylbromide, cyclizine, gaviscon......*list goes on* Bromal hydrate..that one should just be avoided. I shudder to think what the iodinated homolog would be like. (found out only too late, that even in the 1700s they didn't like bromal hydrate and that according to some old medical tomes from back then 'there is nothing whatsoever to justify its use' along with comments about its being nasty on the GI tract.)

Most surprising however, considering the duration that chloral hydrate has been known and used, that its mode of action has been insufficiently elucidated.

As for chlormethiazole, think of it as as a barb/picrotoxin site agonist, its structurally rather unique, although I am told the corresponding oxazole analog is active, and I know that 'bromethiazole' (same as the chlorinated thiazole compound, only with Br replacing Cl, is active enough) but otherwise I have not fully explored the potential for chlormethiazole analogs. I'd be curious to see what a replacing the 2-chloroethyl with a 2,2,2-trifluoroethyl group might turn out though, although unfortunately that would rule out using thiamine/vitamin B1 as a starting point.

(chlormethiazole and similar can be made from cleavage of thiamine as a start point, but the purification of the two fragments must be done with great care, as the byproduct, a substituted pyrimidine is a powerful convulsant neurotoxin, known as 'toxopyrimidine', because it is a potent vitamin B6 antagonist, thankfully toxopyrimidine is, IIRC the fraction soluble in H2O, whilst the other fragment is of lesser solubility, and they can be separated via, ideally, careful vacuum distillation and shock-freezing out the fractions before the vac distillation. Of course, analyses of the intermediates ought to be done with great care, considering the potentially lethal nature of toxopyrimidine, and the fact that no hospital doctor would be expecting a convulsant of that nature, and realize to administer not only ordinary anticonvulsant agents but to administer B6 as the active vitamer along with vitamin B2 and niacin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxopyrimidine Really quite unpleasant stuff.

Last edited:
And Asecin, if you mean a choice between the use of chlordiazepoxide and chlormethiazole, then chlormethiazole every time, just remember the restrictions against alcohol. IIRC it inhibits alcohol dehydrogenase, leading to delayed catabolism of, and thus systemic buildup in alcohol levels, the result being that a small quantity of ethanol taken can pack a motherfucker of a punch, that can and will knock the shit out of you.

thanks for the information guys.

QH-II-66 is just another benzo then. im not sure how much progress is really done here if people just create more benzos. i honestly think they are much worse than alcohol alone and cause lots more problems down the lane after constant use.
i was hoping someone came up with something more interesting and novel by this time, after decades of alcohol abuse, someone should have!

so, what about this one i have been reading about, MEAI?? it says it can safely replace alcohol! i have a lot of hope about this one, but its impossible to get at least here in US.

and clubcard, limpet_chicken, sorry to hear this about the seizures. ill get them too when i overdose on certain drugs and alcohol. mind if i ask you this guys, was your condition caused by excessive drug and alcohol use or just born with it?

Last edited:
Its a lot easier to get into trouble with benzos, but their problems are pretty limited to the GABA system, while alcohol causes a whole slew of health problems not directly related to its action as a sedative.

They began in me later in life, but they are spontaneous, last major time it just happened, right in the middle of watching startrek TNG, and ALL that I'd taken non-rx was a dose of dextromethorphan for a cough (my chest is a bit irritable especially in winter since over time, its been exposed accidentally to a few things that are not meant to be breathed in), other than that, just my pain meds, some cimetidine and other stomach meds as well as my usual dose of chlormethiazole.

what, you got swiss made campral?? wow, the stuff i got is from india and i noticed that from my other medications, all pill generics i have taken from india, dont really work as well.
now, i cant really compare it to anything else since all the stuff i got is from india, but since it didnt really help me much i suspect it could just be bad batch from a country that has very horrible controls when it comes to food and drugs. also i checked the inactives, it contains dozen of shitty things like sodium laureth sulfate and all kinds of colorants and additives that you only see in products not intended for consumption!
now, how did you find the swiss version and im curious to check that one myself

I have an RX and I use a canadian company. Called [no sourcing]. When you hit acomprosate, they offer the stuff they make in Canada, regulated by their version of the FDA, in addition to some cheaper versions made in other countries. I ordered a slightly cheaper version from the United Kingdom. I may have been incorrect with saying it was Swiss. In any case, it is exactly what they have in the drugstores here. It is true that some drugs processed through turkey and india are not as highly regulated and can be "bad", however, I talked at length with a pharmacist who said "go for it" All the stuff we get here comes half the time form Turkey or the UK. In other words, each pharmacy chain is making their own deals with drug companies and as long (I'm guessing this part) as the company applies the required FDA standards to the drug making, then they can be purchased for sale in the US at pharmacies.

In short, I got an RX from the canadian company I mentioned and purchased the Campral made in the UK.

It is not a very strong drug, it has not been heavily researched, and it is very subtle. I do think it helps a little bit at cutting down on drinking; although ideally you use it once you've stopped to help your brain quickly get back to whatever the status quo was in terms of neurotransmitter release you had prior to your heavier alcohol use.

All I can report is that is gentle, I noticed no side effects, and at first I felt is was somewhat calming. I also felt that the fact you had to take a dose 3x a day was a reinforcing commitment to not drinking in addition to replacing one habit with another (in a good way). So if you can afford it, go for it. But the most promising studies with it have involved its use AFTER stopping. The psychiatrist that prescribed it for me felt that many of his patients reported it slowed down binge drinking for them. Also, that psychiatrists, like most psychiatrists I know, did hesitate to use it with multiple other psychiatric meds - like SSRIs, SNRI, etc. I think someone asked about that earlier.

Lastly, you can get it for even cheaper if you use this fantastic website [no sourcing]. It also has an app. You just put in what ever drug you have an RX for, and it will give you the discounts that different pharmacies in your area are offering. I found it to frequently offer drugs at half the price I would have paid with my insurance. I cannot say enough good things about the [no sourcing]

Lastly, when comparing generics, no matter what country they come from, there will always be some slightly different salts and other compounds within them that can effect the way the work - how strong they are, how you absorb them, etc. Also, this effects each person individually. For example, there are a lot of different kinds of ambien generic pills out there, and I can say without doubt that they each vary in effect (for me). The tiny round ones just suck. Anything elliptical is good. I have found that smaller independent pharmacies tend to sell the better generic ambien. But it is irrelevant.

Acomprasate is so new that I'm fairly certain all US pharmacies are carrying the same stock. So if you want to try it, but it in the US and use the [no sourcing] coupon. Good luck!

Last edited:
we don't allow talking about sites to buy drugs from, legitimate or not.

asecin said:
QH-II-66 is just another benzo then.[...]
so, what about this one i have been reading about, MEAI?? it says it can safely replace alcohol! i have a lot of hope about this one,

QH-II-66 is not just any benzo, it's designed to be more selective for the alcohol-type intoxicating effects and have less amnesia, muscle tone inhibition and the like.

MEAI is not a GABAergic, instead it's a selective serotonin releaser, it's related to MDAI, 2-aminoindane and 5-IAI because it's an indane (ring-constrained phenethylamine). David Nutt came up with it as a potential MDxx/alcohol replacement but I don't think it ever took off in the RC scene.

In fact I recall a long history of fake batches of MDAI, maybe thats why people dont bother with the class of drugs like MEAI and friends.

Last edited:
LC - just experience that when benzos fail, phenobarbitone is usually offered before clomethiazole. The slow onset and long duration of that barbiturate means less abuse potential. Maybe I wasn't clear. I DO have to take meds everywhere but unlike street drugs and the money element, it's heavy i.e. monkey on back. If your meds are free (as mine are) then it's like a big empty cardboard box. Most of the time not a problem but fitting through proverbial doors and corridors makes it more difficult. I'm glad to hear you aren't taking a regular pasting. I'm on crutches (14 years and counting) so myoclonic jerks are an utter no, hence the belt-and-braces 1,4 & 1,5 benzo mix. I think I posted the patent to the oxazole analogue but the synthesis sucks. I wouldn't be too keen on larger halogens as they tend to be alkylating agents. A pseudohalogen is likely to work and an alkyne would be interesting, clomethiazole is cheap, has a long history so we know the risks and other than histamine release, is usually tolerated by most people.

I don't know much about inhalational anaesthetics. I know the MAC (Minimum alveolar concentration) value is a guide to potency but of course the blood/gas partition coefficient is also important. Before sevoflurane and desflurane, the gases were mostly excreted by the lungs. In the early 1970s I had several operations and remember slowly coming round and feeling sick and confused for many hours. Now it's fentanyl pre-op, (fos)propofol for induction and the modern gases. I was awake within 10 minutes last time (4 years ago). Unfortunately my GPs notes were ignored and so they kept upping morphine doses for analgesia. Morphine is not analgesic to me. It seems ALL of the phenolic opioids are rapidly excreted. It took a grueling 12 hours before the registrar listened to me and gave me the methadone I asked for in the first place. Even then opioids aren't that good at any dose. I toyed with asking for Diconal but I didn't want to put someone in the situation where they would have to say no.

Don't get me wrong, I get mild euphoria if I smoke a gram of H but frankly, ?50 for 4 hours is not worth the money. U-44770 is actually quite effective but as we have seen, the therapeutic index is too low. If only I have happened upon Brady's Reagent. Would have taken a different direction.

In my case it wasn't really so much that benzos and pheno were offered, tried and found wanting. I straight up asked my doctor for a chlormethiazole script, and he agreed. It isn't even licensed here in the UK for seizures in the BNF (although my copy is more recent than the script, although it is a few years old, and cosmetically, well it looks its age too, being the recipient of a great gout of PI3 and I2 vapors, which of course, stained the crap out of it, and being a book, giving it a once-over with thiosulfate solution isn't practical)

Reason I asked, is that I'd had it before, both RX'd and synthed, the latter of course, regarding the toxic properties of the toxopyrimidine produced as a cleavage fragment when starting via the readily available thiamine, with a lot of care taken in the process, toxopyrimidine being a convulsant poison that works by antagonism of vitamin B6 and thus GABA biosynthesis, similar to gyromitrin, from the poisonous false morel fungi, although of course, something that unlike false morel consumption no doctor is ever going to look for toxopyrimidine without very specific information that it is the course of a poisoning) given that is such an obscure poison.

And I knew it to be a lot more effective than benzos, and also, that it lacks the AMPAr antagonism of barbs, whilst still being able to induce chloride flux and direct ion channel opening via binding the barbiturate/picrotoxin site on GABAa receptors.

I've had a longstanding issue with memory formation/retention and learning, not inborn, but its made things difficult for me, along with some nasty impact on executive functioning since several IIRC early 2Ks. And I don't want in effect, the inverse properties of an AMPAkine nootropic in my seizure med if I can at all avoid it. So, that was reason enough for me not to want pheno, I've had other barbs (barbital itself) and know how massively different that fr.ex pheno and veronal are in terms of memory effects compared to a purely barbiturate binding site agonist at GABAa sans the AMPA glutamatergic blockade from barbs. HUGE difference. I find chlormethiazole to be far, far more clear-headed than barbs and than any benzo, Z-drug (unless maybe you count zaleplon, and thats only because in my experience even a months rx of zaleplon in a single plugged dose didn't do a fucking thing to help me sleep, no tolerance at the time, it just didn't DO anything, absolutely bugger all than turn some bog roll blue the next time I wiped my arse)

And vs benzos, again, chlormethiazole shoots and scores, twice. Once in terms of efficiency, and again with regards to tolerance induction. Been on it years, several times daily (192mg TDS, plus an additional 10-12 of those punchy little funky smelling, plastic-munching grey eggs per week for 'rescue-pack' separate top-up script to allow me to respond to breakthrough seizures (I'm trying to avoid even mentioning the very word 'nitrazepam', although I could use it if needs be for that and on occasion do, but generally I'll just break that script in half and use it twice a week (its for 10mg/d. So it gets used as 2x70mg, usually, with just the occasional deviation from that with respect to slightly more frequent dosing, and then only if I need to treat a seizure-prone day with a longer acting drug to make it safe to sleep)

Because I was given the nitrazepam originally for temporary anxiolysis, with my already having an end in sight planned for it, but what did the docs clinic do? changed it from on an acute as-requested but often repeated, already knowing that it was meant to be so for a specific time, then taper and dump it, to repeat with every script of other meds. Guidance being to take it 10mg a day as 5mg BD.

Of course decided bugger that for a lark, that is a dependency I just don't want forming; it'd be protracted, nasty and generally hell-spawned sadistic generally even the taper. So I only ever used PRN. I've had a taste, a small taste, of what benzo physical WD is like, when I decided I'd had enough of a lorazepam script used again, temporarily, that to help me sleep properly during the day (I'm really, really NOT a day person, I'm pretty much nocturnal :p ) and that was hell on earth, and I ended up having a seizure right in the doctor's office.

So I decided that I was going to go with the option that both kicks a metric fuck-ton of arses and has proved itself very benign as far as tolerance/dependency profiling goes, at least with me personally. Having seizures at all is bad enough, without provoking them as well, or heaping withdrawal hell on top of them too. Ergo, chlormethiazole to the rescue again. And hey, just because the stuff seems to like to show off to me how multiply talented it is, throw effective sleep assistance, effective breakthrough seizure-stomping and to boot I seem to recall something about neuroprotective effects. And hey, from a recreational POV, it also happens to be one of my absolute favourite GABAa ligands.

I can't say as I'm exactly a fan of the alkyl halide functionality, but at least it hasn't got some infamous reputation as a carcinogen or for leading to three-eyed babies with tentacles where their ears should be and ears in the back of all eight legs. I'd not take the corresponding bromo analog other than the testing done, and I never did produce the iodinated or fluorinated derivatives (iodide being too good a leaving group, and fluoroethyl? fluoroacetate as a potential byproduct, and in something already targeted at the CNS? no fucking thanks.) Nitro, cyano or di/trifluoroethyl, cyanomethyl, pentafluorosulfanyl, or other chain extensions and electronegative substituents perhaps, but given the nature of the drug, everything with great care and slow workups etc of course.

And of course, the oxazoles, but before any of those get worked on, I'm wanting to finish up and metaphorically speaking
lick the plate clean when it comes to the thiazoles given that, once the toxopyrimidine byproduct is removed, its a one-step reaction for at least the halides, a fast one at that, followed by a careful vac distillation both to preserve the product intact and exclude any halogenated toxopyrimidine derivatives that might follow through in levels that I currently can't exclude via TLC, since I can't afford a GC-MS or NMR unit, although as soon as I can spare the money, IR and UV-VIS spec are on the table as viable options, and if I could manage the building of one, MAYBE, just maybe, FT-ICR.....I have after all, already wanted to build myself my own cyclotron. Why? the answer to that one would be better put 'why not?' and FT-ICR would be an even more practically useful than a modest particle accelerator, at least for heavy/complex ion acceleration, doesn't mean I don't still have desires for a proton/deuteron/triton accelerator and betatron just for some learning material; but thats more for experimentation and helping me teach myself more about particle physics and have a good time doing it than the hope of ever discovering something hitherto unknown, not at the energies available from a home power supply and perhaps supplementation from capacitor banks, flywheels, diesel generators, mixtures of the above etc. And the chances of my getting planning permission to adapt large portions of the home into a big bugger of a collider and hook directly up to the national grid....would be less than 'bugger off' IF they even took such an application seriously in the first place (whilst I don't see WHY anyone wouldn't want their own personal step up from the LHC, it seems that it isn't particularly a common thing for people to want to add on to their houses, compared to boring things like conservatories, extra lawn space, or in my case a big garden shed that houses a modest machine-shop for metalwork parts fabrication and occasionally as extra lab space)

Some people are just fucking freaks. I'm glad I'm not one of them poor NT buggers=D