• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Opiate withdrawal. Could use an opinion, and some advice.

Wrath08

Greenlighter
Hey everyone I would like to ask a few questions and I've looked through many other threads pertaining to opiate withdrawal and answered quite a few of my questions. However I still have somethings that I haven't seen any advice or answers for so I thought I would make a thread to see if any of you more experienced users can help me out.

So first ill give you information on my situation. I've been an off or on opiate user for around 3 years now. I started using them to comedown off of amphetamine binges and it slowly worked its way into a more or less daily habit around a year or so ago. I typically used oxycodone maybe 60mg to 120mg a day. I would usually use for a week or 2 then withdrawal off of them and would feel fine in 4 or 5 days. As my tolerance grew oxy became too expensive and harder to get for me so like an idiot I started using heroin may be 5 months ago and it became everyday use about 3 months ago. When I couldn't score any heroin I had access to plenty of suboxone and would use them recreationally and to ward off the dreaded heroin withdrawal. The suboxone was used pretty often the last couple months though not daily just until I could score some heroin.

So here I am now on 8 days cold turkey and some symptoms have gotten way better. My energy levels aren't that bad anymore, I'm getting a bit more sleep every night, the restlessness isn't constant anymore just little bouts were I pace for a bit or what not. However I'm still getting serious chills and sweating, I feel constantly cold, having liquid stools and stomach cramping, feel nauseous especially in the morning and after eating.

I've heard heroin withdrawal should only last 5 to 7 days for acute withdrawal. Is it possible that I'm experiencing suboxone withdrawal? I know I used it way less often then heroin but for a week before I decided to stop I used suboxone 2mg every time withdrawal would start and didn't taper the subs before jumping.

So my questions guys are how much longer should I expect this shit to last? Is it possible to be hooked on both a short acting and long acting opiod at the same time?

This was one of the hardest weeks of my life. I thought for sure I wouldn't make it that I would cave and go score, but I haven't. I just need some advice or support. I don't want to go back to using but the symptoms were easier when it was pain rather than annoyance like it is now.

Thanks in advance everyone sorry it was so long winded.

I was using dope/pills probably around the same amount as you, when I jumped off suboxone 2mg per day it was roughly 4 days of physical withdrawal. I wasn't having cold sweats and upset stomach a week later, by then I was just having trouble sleeping and the mental game.

Strange man, everyone is different. As far as you have gone you have to be close to the finish line, don't turn back now. Good luck.

This may be way off base but is it possible that you are just ill? Maybe you're sick and it's completely unrelated to the withdrawals.

Some Loperamide at normal doses to control the GI tract problems might make the following days easier while you try to pin down exactly what this is. I have heard that two weeks of some degree of WD symptoms from subs is not that uncommon. YMMV

Thanks so much for the responses everyone. I'm trying to hang tight but maybe the symptoms are just a sickness. I have been using clonidine for the past week to help. Would a week on clonidine cause rebound? If it is a clonidine rebound could someone help me with a taper? I've been taking .1mg morning and afternoon and .2mg at night to help sleep. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was taking clonidine to help me sleep at the time. I took a laundry list of stuff w/d from sub for about a month that people get addicted to...

tramadol, gabapentin, klonopin, clonidine, trazadone, smoked weed, I'm probably forgetting something...

Gabapentin was the last thing I had in supply which coincidentally seemed to be the hardest for me to finally kick, which is weird. You think it would be the benzos.

I think we might find a crutch to get us through and it's tough to let go, my friend who kicked methadone is a full-time stoner, which he didn't smoke before but it helped him kick dope.

I'm on 90 mg oxy a day...starting a cold turkey this weekend...can't say I'm excited about it. Ugh

Bro you got this man. I know its rough but I have a ton of experience withdrawaling from oxy and I know everyone is different, but the worst will be over in about 3 or 4 days. In case your wondering or anyone else that reads this is I haven't taken any clonidine today and I feel perfectly fine suddenly. I still get chilly a lot more than i used to like my tolerance for lower temps has changed but other than that I feel normal.

Again my man, you got this. Keep posting here bro ill support you through this. It really helps to have someone who sympathizes with your situation.

Oh and joe I get what you mean man. Even if its not per say addictive in the recreational sense. Letting go of your comfort meds is still a nerve racking experience.

On the tail end of a W/D mild stims (caffeine, psudeoephedrine) can actually help get you back on track again during the day.

I couldn't agree more! I get scripted vyvanse for adhd and that or some ethylphenidate makes the tail end a breeze. I would definitely not recommend it if your in the beginning or peak of kicking though.

By the way I have a few trazodone 50mg. I didn't use them yet cause I've heard they can intensify RLS. You think they could help with sleep now without that happening?

I'm on 90 mg oxy a day...starting a cold turkey this weekend...can't say I'm excited about it. Ugh

Cold turkey 90mg.... I'm not gonna lie. It's going to suck. Like others have said you will get through it. You will get through it and come out better and stronger on the other side.

Just curious, why do you want to quit? What's your motivation? Have you quit before? How long have you been addicted to pain meds? Are you going cold turkey with no help at all from anything else or do you have stuff to ease the withdrawals?

I know this is going to sound stupid as hell (because it is) but I withdraw every single month from 100mg+ of oxy a day. I get a script and when I run out there is no way I have the money to supplement with more oxy. I may be able to get a few but for the most part it's about 14 glorious days of having them and then 14 days of not. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Yea gmlifer hit the nail on the head about oxy withdrawal. Its a rough ride but in my experience the withdrawal was a bit shorter than heroin withdrawal. Definitely more intense in the 1st few days than h WD.

Also the more times I would withdrawal then use again and get dependent again the faster it would happen and the worse the kick would be. I don't know if you plan on using again after your WD is over but id take that into consideration. Just in case it happens to ring true for you.

Also the more times I would withdrawal then use again and get dependent again the faster it would happen and the worse the kick would be. I don't know if you plan on using again after your WD is over but id take that into consideration. Just in case it happens to ring true for you.

I 100% agree with that. The higher my daily intake gets and month by month the withdrawal is getting more difficult. For me it's not the physical withdrawal aspect of it that is getting to where it kicks my ass. It's the mental part. I'll describe as best I can and maybe someone here can tell me how to deal with it or what it is. For me it's like the world isn't real. It's like I'm a stranger in my own body. I may wake up and feel ok for a few hours but at some point nothing feels right. It didn't used to be like this. I would feel like shit for four or five days then I would start to feel ALOT better day by day. After doing this for a few years now it's getting harder and harder.

My point! Get off and stay off!!!

I 100% agree with that. The higher my daily intake gets and month by month the withdrawal is getting more difficult. For me it's not the physical withdrawal aspect of it that is getting to where it kicks my ass. It's the mental part. I'll describe as best I can and maybe someone here can tell me how to deal with it or what it is. For me it's like the world isn't real. It's like I'm a stranger in my own body. I may wake up and feel ok for a few hours but at some point nothing feels right. It didn't used to be like this. I would feel like shit for four or five days then I would start to feel ALOT better day by day. After doing this for a few years now it's getting harder and harder.

My point! Get off and stay off!!!

Hey man I know exactly what you mean. Like suddenly the whole world is in 3d. Sounds are more intense and everything seems fake or made of plastic. To me it kinda feels like I'm in a dream yet I know I'm not. My advice bro is maybe try and do a taper. That should help relieve some of that feeling in my experience.

Unfortunately its something that you may just have to wait out. Imagine wearing sunglasses and earplugs for years and then one day taking them off. It would take time to adjust. The sunglasses and ear plugs being the opiates in this case it feels strange to not be on them.

I know this is going to sound stupid as hell (because it is) but I withdraw every single month from 100mg+ of oxy a day.- for the most part it's about 14 glorious days of having them and then 14 days of not.

I thought I was the only one who had a masochistic habit of doing that. I don't have any connects outside of my doctor's roxy 30mg scripts and like to keep it that way so I can maintain a bank account. I'm one of those people that actually paid the dollar per milligram before OC's became OP's.Not proud of that one. Then my dealer got hooked and blew his brains all over the wall of his parents house after being denied intake into rehab. Such a lovely habit! It is sick that I am a professional at (my) withdrawals, at least the initial physical part. Although my lizard brain justifies all of this because I've been off methadone for a year and actually am slowly getting sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I'm totally lost on the site. I just signed up because I wanted to get some advice I'm taking snorting heroin and I have no idea how to post anything and this is the first time I saw that I could. Please anyone who's reading this, help me figure out how to navigate the site. Also for the original poster, hang in there obviously everyone here knows how hard it is to withdraw and if you need to talk feel free to write to me. I did go through withdrawal over a year ago and I lasted a few months and all of your symptoms seem pretty normal and they all pass. I slowly started sniffing heroin again and now I'm at the 5-10 bags a day. I've never shot it though. The worst part for me is being idle and the emotions that come back once you don't have it. Thanks everyone

I'm totally lost on the site. I just signed up because I wanted to get some advice I'm taking snorting heroin and I have no idea how to post anything and this is the first time I saw that I could. Please anyone who's reading this, help me figure out how to navigate the site. Also for the original poster, hang in there obviously everyone here knows how hard it is to withdraw and if you need to talk feel free to write to me. I did go through withdrawal over a year ago and I lasted a few months and all of your symptoms seem pretty normal and they all pass. I slowly started sniffing heroin again and now I'm at the 5-10 bags a day. I've never shot it though. The worst part for me is being idle and the emotions that come back once you don't have it. Thanks everyone

Good news, you're on a relevant thread for your problem. I use the search feature in the top right corner and type in what I'm looking for and it pops up a list of different related threads. You probably want the "Opiate Withdrawal Megathread" for more responses.

I can't tell you anything you don't know about your situation, the best thing you said is that you only sniff it. I agree, a lot of people talk about how bad the physical WD is but the mental game that continues for months after is just as bad, I guess that's part of why people relapse.

Greetings fellow humans. I have joined this forum in hopes that I may get some direction with a tapering schedule for methadone detox. It is for my nephew who is 30yrs old. He has been on Methadone for 10 (yes I mean ten) years for a pill addiction. I am just a loving Aunt who is trying to save my nephew form this monster called "opiate addiction". Yes it is true that ANY addiction is awful, but if you have any experience with this particular demon you know where I am going.....or where he is going rather. So please if anyone out there feels like helping me, I would be forever grateful and promise to pay it forward.

Baclofen .... Best w/d aid I've ever used and I've used all of them and have been through hundreds, literally, of opiate withdrawal.

Baclofen/Klonopin/Lope combo is the best... For me

SR- Agree with baclofen/benzos/but gabapentin would be #3 for me