• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Boss asking me to come in, after telling me I'm off today

onederlanned

Greenlighter
I'm a land surveyor, so i work outside. It's raining today in Phoenix. My boss texted me around 5 am (start time was 7) telling me along with my three co-workers (group text) that due to rain we're off today. Then about 4 hours later, he texts me, not in a group text, saying "it looks like I do need you. Can you please come in"?

I replied "I just came to frys electronics with my brother to do Christmas shopping" assuming he knew the closest frys is a half hour away. That basically told him that I couldn't be in any sooner than 2 hours from that point. I've not heard anything back from him though, and it's been just about two hours since I told him I was at frys.

I just wanted to get some other opinions on my boss's antics.telling your employees they're off, saying "looks like we are not gonna work today. See you tomorrow." Then a few hours later, asking one, or multiple employees I don't know, to come in.

It's his company, and very small..one office, about 9 or 10 employees. So I.think he's just never been told what he can and can't do when it comes to managing his people.

Since four hours had gone by, probably nobody wants to go to work after being told they had the day off. But I don't think your boss was being unreasonable asking you to come in the way he did, nicely.

I think he has the right to ask you. But you also have the right to tell him no.. you made plans because you thought you were off. I don't think it's that crazy lol.

i agree it's not unreasonable to say you had already made plans and were unable to make it in, but in my opinion you should have replied exactly that -- with a "sorry" because this person can fire and give raises. unless you and your boss have a really personal working relationship, talking about your brother and where you're christmas shopping could make an already disappointing reply annoying. especially because it didn't include a straight yes or no. someone with more experience could correct me, but i consider it professional to keep personal details about absences from work -- excluding details about scheduled vacation time when asked about for social reasons, which this was not -- to yourself. if you regularly display solid work ethic, details are not needed to justify the absence. otherwise, details can come off as excuses.