What is the future of music?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
I have question for ya?, in the 50s we had rock n roll, then we had pop music like Beatles etc in 60s. Then we had the punk movement in late 70s then the Rave scene in early 80s/90s, the naughties was remixes then present that is totally genreless, what will be the next big thing in music and will there be future scenes that break new ground and innovation? What's going to happen in 2020?

I think VR will be more common and you'll have paysites where DJing will be live and you'll attend a party virtually. Or smartphones you'll attend a virtual party and have numerous ways to interact while the DJ plays a set, like headphone parties.

Holography might make a turning point and people could DJ by telepresence.

Possibly a new drug that creates a whole new scene? Weed is turning legal, so you might have more weed music, drum and bass, psytrance, downtempo, ethnogenic or IDM.

3 years isn't that far away. Probably 2020 will be a big year for NYE parties. Im guessing for myself itll be a snoozefest but you never know.

Those are all good ideas.

In regards to Joe's post: I think that is maybe a bit too niche and not necessarily going to translate into the "Next Big Thing". Somewhat akin to Keller Williams in the Jam Scene.

i like how this has turned more into the technology / chemical rather than like say... tempo / instrumentation? that a word ? i would of never expected something obvious like dubstep to make such a huge impact... but looking back dnb wasn't that "old" to begin with. you know like dub reggae / ragga / dubstep / dnb... all connected. well it ALL is music. some producers like dbridge, asc, marcus intalex, commix, etc have switched from dnb to a techno sound or at least flirted with it. asc has been pushing "grey area" which is stuff at like 170 bpm but more of a techno influence. would never blow up tho to be realistic. then who thought "trap" would be a thing...

Im not sure about the next big genres, yeah I mean who could have predicted Harlem Shake to get picked up years later? Which makes me think of dubstep as well, turning into brostep.

There's a lot of regional stuff too. A lot of genres here on the East Coast probably never see the light of day. I couldnt see progressive house or Techno becoming big in my area.

^ good point. sounds from jerz/philly/bmore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_club been poppin for years, i would say tho they did have an influence with the think and sing/sing breakbeat, some uk and european producers did their own thing but of course it never get BIG.

maybe an odd footwork/juke hit from the chi. but yea it will be interesting to see, and one thing is with technology so accessible to kids these days... who knows what they gonna cook up.

I think Diplo and Mad Decent definitely are on to something with blending carribean vibes and a full measure of claps, and this sort of Trap infusion. Its like Atlanta rap and House with Bass music.

There's always a tendency to go back, whats old is new again. Modular synths have made a comeback and Roland has re-released all the classic beatboxes and the TB-303...I was listening to Phil Collins the other day, so it'd be interesting to see big 80s style pop tunes.

I wouldn't mind a sort of return to the epic Trance days of the early 2000s, big build ups and then drops. Good quality MDMA sort of died around here or at least the E culture. Its really hard to replicate how massive MDMA was in the 90s. You see that doc with these mad Gabber kids in Rotterdam mangled out of their tree wearing track suits and shaved heads, its like witnessing the power of a drug. Or how the candy kid phenom blew up and people just listened to Happy Hardcore and nothing else.

Now with the media its Fentayl and street people dying so I dont think its a positive fad.

^ enjoyed reading that. i am going to look up early 90s club kid footage in just a few for inspiration.

this topic definitely has given one much to think about. i'd love a return to that style of trance as well, and i still listen to a handful of happy hardcore tracks.

I liked the proto-trance of the the late 80's into the proper trance of the mid 1990's myself.

The very early styles of tech-house still resonate with me, and I think dancefloors could use more of that pureness with a splash of sampled intstrumental disco imo.

That's were my head and heart are at, dance wise.

I listen to--have listened to--a lot of genres over the years. But, I always find myself falling back onto techno/tech-house ish kind of stuff.