• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Couple in sidewalk overdose video plead for compassion

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A couple who were live-streamed in the grips of a heroin overdose on a US street have asked the public to appreciate the insidiousness of drug addiction after completing rehabilitation.

Ronald and Carla Hiers were plastered across social media on October 3 while overdosing on a Memphis street after snorting heroin in a shopping centre bathroom.

"We went to catch the bus and it caught up to us while we were waiting, and you saw the result," Mr Hiers told CNN.

A passer-by, Courtland Garner, broadcast the nine-minute video of the of the couple to Facebook.

Mr Garner could be heard in the background laughing at the pair and they writhed around on the ground oblivious of their crowd that had begun gather around them.

Following the incident the pair were given free admission to attend rehab through a scholarship charity.

Almost two-months later Mr Hiers said he cringes when he sees the footage – of which he has no recollection – but asks others for understanding.

"I am a son. A husband. A brother. A grandfather. A father. I'm a human being," he said.

"That's what so many people missed about it. Those were two human beings. I'm a human being and so is my wife."

Mr Garner defended his post in an earlier interview saying he hoped to deter others from taking illicit substances.

"What they were doing was children things. It was a spectacle. It made me laugh," he told WREG.

"I know for a fact all the kids are on social media, and when kids see that video, you know what they are going to say? I don't want to look stupid like that I don't want to do those drugs."

Source and video: http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/...ideo-plead-for-compassion#4defGYOxe4gvT7wR.99

"I know for a fact all the kids are on social media, and when kids see that video, you know what they are going to say? I don't want to look stupid like that I don't want to do those drugs."

Right, Mr Garner, that's what kids on social media are going to say? What a heartless fool. You posted what was a tragic event and treated it as a spectacle to laugh at. What a superior and stellar human being you must be. Glad to know that someone with such wisdom is concerned about the youth of the world.:p:!

If the people had overdosed and died would he still be recording and laughing? What a dick!

What's up with this new fascination of OD videos on the internet? People love watching people OD it's fuckin bananas what is wrong with them they gotta help and feel bad , no one ever wakes up saying they wanna be addicts and OD thus people need to realize being compassionate is the way to go and might go a long way actually . Stigma is what destroys us junkies I swear once a junky always a junky

If the people had overdosed and died would he still be recording and laughing? What a dick!

If they died I WOULD HOPE that he'd be prosecuted for not doing anything. I'm pretty sure that's a crime (it is in California, but I know the difference between California and Tennessee is like South Korea and Best Korea).

If you watch the full video....the guy verifies with some other passerby that they have already called an ambulance.....he even quips, "did you tell them they are white?...they will probably get here faster"

These kids that live in the hood probably see shit like that every single day....after a certain point you stop caring.

Fucking sick...I don't get how ppl can just pull out their phones and record something like that...like it's entertainment. Yea they called ems but joking about their race? If it was reversed everyone would be protesting and crying.

People are fucking heartless sometimes.

Sickening heroin footage changed couple’s lives forever

THE horrifying video of a couple overdosing on heroin shocked the world and changed their lives forever. This is what happened next.

IT WAS the shocking video that stunned the world — but now the couple at the centre of it has revealed how they reached rock bottom.
Hundreds of thousands of viewers saw Ronald Hiers and his wife Carla after a heroin overdose in October 2016, when a man broadcast a video via Facebook Live of the couple slumped on the ground in Memphis, Tennessee, in America’s southwest.

Now, the couple have spoken out, saying shocking footage of their zombie-like state was a turning point in their lives.

In a documentary by Time and Mic, the American couple say they have been sober ever since the incident and have not seen each other either.
Mrs Hiers, of Memphis, said she was hooked on opioids for 40 years. In the past eight years, took straight heroin.

Her husband, 61, said he had been addicted to heroin from 1972 until last year when the infamous video emerged.
“Drugs and alcohol will take you to place you can’t imagine,” he said. “When I got into high school, at 13 years old, I ran into a lifelong friend of mine. He’s dead now. He died in my closet from an overdose.

“We began sniffing paint at 13 and smoking pot and drinking wine. By 11th grade, I got myself kicked out of school. My circle of influence was compromised to say the least.”
The couple met at a party at Mr Hiers’ parents’ house when they were both teenagers — but they didn’t get together until they were in their 30s.

“Things were never normal,” she said. “We were always going to jail for something. We were always strung out.”
“She was tough enough to go to places where she would get shot at; she was my kind of girl,” Mr Hiers said. “We committed a lot of crime together — it was one big party because I didn’t want to deal with any feelings.”

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook