Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Toluene - First Time - Toluene experience

Timmystoe

Greenlighter
This is my experience from toluene

Toluene is an organic solvent found in some industrial adhesives. I consider myself a very experienced drug user/enthusiast and this by far was the most powerful and immersive trip i have ever experienced. I texted and called a friend several times throughout my trip. That is how i accounted for real time when the trip was done.
The method of administration i used was continuously breathing through a simple home made bong filled with a industrial weather adhesive. I took a water bottle and inserted a straw near the top and sealed it with hot glue. Then I filled it with one tube of the adhesive. A water bottle with a downstem like a bong.
I used this method because it was the most efficient way to inhale it Continuously because it draws fresh air through the adhesive. Huffing it like any other inhalant will not produce the same effects.
I left my house, walked into the woods and started huffing at roughly 4:30 pm and continued until roughly 5:15 pm. Taking every breath through the bong. I didn't notice much of an effect until about 10 or 15 lung fulls. It started with light headedness, dizziness, fast heart rate, like the effect from most inhalants. Then the effects increased very fast. Before i knew it i had a very different perception of reality.
I started see thousands of lightning bolts in the sky, but no thunder. I heard some type of power saw in the distance and thought it was coming to get me in trouble. Scared, i started speed walking and walked into a 9 foot tall spider web. I frantically tore my way out of the web and started running from spiders. I ran until i came to a clearing and started walking towards the road. I was about 10 or 15 yards from the road when I noticed i had been walking in the opposite direction of the road. I came out on another road and began looking up at the trees along it. The trees were a type of being i began to admire because they were so tall. They were omniscient, or all knowing, like a god but they looked just like regular trees. But i could feel that they were alive. I started to think about how much i admired street lights and all they did for us. I thought it was about a day since i started to trip. I experienced hallucinations and delusional thoughts like this for about 6 more days.
In reality i had only been huffing for about 45 minutes. When i stopped i didn't start to have a somewhat normal perception of reality for, what felt like another day or 2. (About 15 minutes in real time) I had that perception and unnatural feelings for almost a hour before feeling normal.
Overall it was a very fun experience for me. Not something i would do more than once or twice because of the health risks. I would not recommend this to anyone that is not a very experienced user of hallucinogens. I can't even compare this trip to the trip i experienced when i took 1200 ug of lsd.
I did take a video during some of the trip i will post the url after i upload it to youtube.

Why i made this thread is because i was interested in:

1. Anyones experience on toluene

2. Any thoughs/opinions about the drug and my dosage and experience?

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_toluene
substancecode_inhalants
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
Solvents have three proposed mechanisms of action: they may alter the structure of membrane phospholipid bi-layers, impairing various ion channels; they may alternatively alter membrane bound enzymes or receptor-site specificity for endogenous substrates; or they may produce toxic metabolites modifying the hepatic microsomal system and possibly adducting RNA and DNA molecules. Toluene depresses neuronal activity and reversibly enhances GABA A receptor-mediated synaptic currents and a 1-glycine receptor-activated ion channel function. Toluene also inhibits glutamatergic neurotransmission via NMDA receptors and alters dopaminergic transmission.

Toluene can cause brain, liver and kidney damage, hearing loss, memory impairment, and attention deficits. Death can result from heart failure, asphyxiation or aspiration. Toluene also owes its pharmacology to a mucosal irritant effect from an exothermic reaction with water. This results in vomiting, lacrimation and ocular burning, cough, chest pain, wheezing and possible interstitial edema, and kidney toxicity with tubular acidosis. Toluene exposure is also associated with a transient liver injury.

I have had intoxicated myself by it lightly by not having a good mask when was working on some extractions, the effects are definitely GABAergic but with pronounced toxic effect and NMDA antagonism as I felt it. I do not recommend it to anyone.

That being said it is toxic to human body so I'd stay away, knowing there are so many other alternatives to alter your brain functioning!

Last edited:
You can die from huffing that shit. Not to mention that it will impair your mental functioning for some time after you've already otherwise come down. But if you're dead set on huffing an industrial solvent, toluene is probably your most rewatding choice, based on what I know and have heard about the subject. Jeezus, just snort a half a gram of some good powdered cocaine or something like we did when I went to college in the 90s!

I have truly done some reckless and horrifying things to my body and brain, but even still, every time I see a huffing thread I am shocked.

I always appreciate the information and the trip reports, but at the same time they scare the shit out of me.

So, thanks for sharing OP, but I also hope you don't do it again!

I sometimes take toluene and let it evap into a vacuum and inhale the pressurized gas or put a extremely low amount in the atmosphere. Generally just causes sedation, dissociation, confusion. If your going to do this make sure to check the msds many products contain dangerous additives and toluene is dangerous enough