• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nucyntta (tapentadol) & Tramadol combo

Toreadores

Greenlighter
Hey guys I am trying to find more detailed information about the interactions between Nucynta (tapentadol) and Tramadol. I searched in Google and any topics about these two drugs combo but couldn't find any good information. I found detailed info about tramadol with oxy or hydro combos but almost nothing about nucynta and tramadol. Yet I found in different web sites people asking the same thing but no specific answers just some general gibberish about the drugs that most of the people already knew but like I said no specific answers to the point of the question. The only helpful info I found was it can be dangerous can cause a "serotonin syndrome" but no other explanation. So cut to the point I am interested to learn about these things:

1. How dangerous exactly can be if both drugs are taken at the same time? Does it apply even in smallest doses (50mg nucynta + 50mg tramadol) or the danger comes if one takes larger doses (like 150 nucynta + 150 tramadol) or if both drugs are taken for a long time period?
2. If taking both at the same time is really that dangerous, what is the safe interval between taking the 1st drug and then the other one?
3. What exactly is the "serotonin syndrome" and why is it so dangerous? I read in articles what are the symptoms and that some people barely survived it but it's a whole different thing when somebody who got thru this or has better knowledge of it to explain rather than medical articles.
4. What is the real maximum daily dosage for Nucynta and Tramadol (separately taken). All the info in the web is saying 600mg Nucynta and 500mg Tramadol in 24h but for long time now I am taking roughly 800-850mg Nucynta or Tramadol 800 to 900mg in 24h I didn't have or felt any side effects or OD Symptoms. I do liver and kidney tests every 3-4 months so far everything is fine (last one I did few days ago). This is why I always prefer answers from people who got at least some experience rather than an "official" medical article. From their point I understand why they don't recommend and say anything specific for combinations and advise you to ask your doctor but on the other hand I find it dangerous not posting more detailed information about drugs interactions. Some people are going to try it anyway and clearly they can't discuss it with their doc because will get an instant "addict" label, but at least knowing what is the limit and better explanation they can do it "safer" instead of not knowing and taking the wrong dosages.
Any help about these questions will be greatly appreciated. I apologize for my grammar and for the long post.
Thank you!

You should really never go above 400 of tramadol, but seizures and SS can occurred at lower doses if your prone to seizures or taking other medications that can lower seizure threshold.

You really shouldn't take them both at the same time. SS is a serious side effect and it can be fatal. If you're worried about talking to your doctor about it, you can ask a pharmacist. They're usually much more knowledgeable when it comes to pharmacology anyways. The pharmacist will most likely tell you not to though, and 800 mg doses are way too high for either drug alone.

I know this is why I wanted to check the combination with these two drugs. If I am able somehow to make a combo and take less of them and wanted to check out if there is some safe way to be combined. Nucynta for me works great with pain and the nice feeling of it. Nothing too intense as well it's not weak like Tramadol, but it wears really fast. Maybe because I have built big tolerance and the effects of it wears in about 2 - 2 and a half hours. On the other hand Tramadol for me lasts much longer - up to 6 hours but to feel the smallest effect I have to take 250 mg in a single dose. About a year ago I made the combo Norco with Tramadol and worked great since the Norco took the pain away and the Tramadol keep it that way for 6-7 hours. I was hoping if I can make a similar combination like 100mg nucynta with 100mg Tramadol 3 times daily. But it seems it may not be possible. I know many people will not like nucynta but for me this is a great pill mostly because is not that addictive as Norco or Oxy. Even if it's schedule II. After about 3 months of daily usage of Nucynta I stop it cold turkey for almost 3 weeks to lower my tolerance and the withdraw symptoms were really mild. I had worse withdraw when taking off Hydrocodone even in much smaller dosages and shorter period of using.
I appreciate your reply, thank you. If somebody else have any idea how to "tame" these 2 medicines I'll be glad to hear about.