• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

December Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Hello Holidaze

Kind of off topic, but CH, do you have any advice for someone hoping to come of ssris soon?

Are you coming off SSRIs soon, Sim? I am, at the end of December. I'm going to start tapering down tomorrow actually. CH - did you taper off the Zoloft? How long did the awfulness last? I'm super nervous. I'm 3 weeks off of the tabacco and only two months off the opiates. So many changes so quickly...it's exhausting. Any advice would be awesome.

- VE

edit - CH, would you be able to tell us what the worst symptom was for you? Or what symptoms you had? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Last edited:
edit - CH, would you be able to tell us what the worst symptom was for you? Or what symptoms you had? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

the physical symptoms were weird, hard to describe

brain zaps were the absolute worst.

Are you coming off SSRIs soon, Sim? I am, at the end of December. I'm going to start tapering down tomorrow actually. CH - did you taper off the Zoloft? How long did the awfulness last? I'm super nervous. I'm 3 weeks off of the tabacco and only two months off the opiates. So many changes so quickly...it's exhausting. Any advice would be awesome.

- VE

I think so. My doctor talked about it. But to be honest, some of the desire is just mine. I've been on zoloft since 1998. At first they were TREMENDOUSLY helpful for me. But over the years, I believe that their benefit for me has run it's course. When I was in the psych hospital recently, they lowered my dose, and I've felt good since that. So, I'm lowering my dose a little more to see how I feel.

Like you, I'm just off of opiates (50 days), so am a little concerned about too many moving parts. We'll see...I figure I can bounce back up if I need to.

Good luck, VE! I might shoot you a PM.

I think so. My doctor talked about it. But to be honest, some of the desire is just mine. I've been on zoloft since 1998. At first they were TREMENDOUSLY helpful for me. But over the years, I believe that their benefit for me has run it's course. When I was in the psych hospital recently, they lowered my dose, and I've felt good since that. So, I'm lowering my dose a little more to see how I feel.

Like you, I'm just off of opiates (50 days), so am a little concerned about too many moving parts. We'll see...I figure I can bounce back up if I need to.

Good luck, VE! I might shoot you a PM.

Whoa, that's a long time! Please be careful!

It might be best to switch to prozac because it has a longer half life. See if your doctor would be willing to have you do that.

I'm still in pain :(

^^
Thanks, CH. It's a daunting prospect. Even freakier--I've also been scripted clonazepam since 1998! Some day I'm gonna have to come off that, which I'm sure is going to suck. Who knows? I don't abuse the clonnies, and my dose is not huge (2mg/day)...maybe I'll never kick those.

Unfortunately, in my tiny town, the options in terms of prescribing docs are minimal, and I've pretty well exhausted them at this point. I've actually been thinking about putting up a thread on TDS about it... it's all quite discouraging. Hence my interest in weaning myself off psych meds. Among other reasons, I'm tired of being beholden to shrinks to keep me supplied in happiness. And having reached a point where it seems that the meds aren't helping much, I'm thinking now might be the time to get out from under.

best of luck man, I'm sure you can do it :)

I'm still in a bit of pain today, and am stressed out. Lots of stuff going on.

CH: That taper was awful and way too fast. Sorry you had to endure it.
About SSRIs: There's a growing body of evidence (as in cohorts on ADs observed over time) that meds that affect serotonin only are not the silver bullet and that meds that affect multiple neurotransmitters can have equal or more benefit.
Effexor has been around awhile (a good thing to me) and it affects serotonin and norepinephrine.
Wellbutrin has been around forever and it affects dopamine.
There are so many options available but I picked two tried and true examples.

CH: That taper was awful and way too fast. Sorry you had to endure it.
About SSRIs: There's a growing body of evidence (as in cohorts on ADs observed over time) that meds that affect serotonin only are not the silver bullet and that meds that affect multiple neurotransmitters can have equal or more benefit.
Effexor has been around awhile (a good thing to me) and it affects serotonin and norepinephrine.
Wellbutrin has been around forever and it affects dopamine.
There are so many options available but I picked two tried and true examples.

Indeed, but TCA's have horrible withdrawals, and MAOI's can be dangerous.

I thought about going on an MAOI for a long time. Have yet to try it, and I think it's the right decision for me.

Thank you for the condolences. It was truly the worst withdrawal I've been through, especially for a drug that isn't one of abuse.

CH- Just so we are clear, neither of those meds I mentioned fall into the MAOIs or TCAs.
You're talking about classes of ADs that were developed quite early on with higher side effect profiles and that target receptors far less specifically. Older physicians and researchers call them "dirty drugs" because of their non-specific mechanisms.
They are still around as a last resort.
I wouldn't recommend MAOIs (the first antidepressants developed) due to diet restrictions including but not complete: certain alcoholic beverages, cured meat, pickled food and aged cheeses. These restrictions are necessary and dire outcomes due to high blood pressure can result if violated from hypertensive crisis to a brain hemorrhage. They also effect the brain and digestive system, causing side effects. They regulate serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine in the. brain, among other things.
TCAs have some effects that are systematic and not well understood, although they do regulate serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain.
These are regarded as what is left after everything falls.
Just something to consider.

CH- We didn't "know" each other and I'm sure you're looked at these meds.
I'm just trying to encourage you to look at other options if you've only been on an SSRI and had a horrible withdrawal experience.

CH- Just so we are clear, neither of those meds I mentioned fall into the MAOIs or TCAs.
You're talking about classes of ADs that were developed quite early on with higher side effect profiles and that target receptors far less specifically. Older physicians and researchers call them "dirty drugs" because of their non-specific mechanisms.
They are still around as a last resort.
I wouldn't recommend MAOIs (the first antidepressants developed) due to diet restrictions including but not complete: certain alcoholic beverages, cured meat, pickled food and aged cheeses. These restrictions are necessary and dire outcomes due to high blood pressure can result if violated from hypertensive crisis to a brain hemorrhage. They also effect the brain and digestive system, causing side effects. They regulate serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine in the. brain, among other things.
TCAs have some effects that are systematic and not well understood, although they do regulate serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain.
These are regarded as what is left after everything falls.
Just something to consider.

I am well aware. Bupropion is a DRI, though it also hits on interesting receptors as well such as its antagonism at nicotinic acetylcholine alpha7 subunit receptor; which makes it a poor medication choice for cigarette smokers/tobacco users.

I had no problem going from 150mg bupropion to nothing instantly, and I had no withdrawal symptoms and frankly didn't notice the difference.

Just chiming in to Send love and light to my new buddies.

Ive been going through a terribly rough Time this past year. I understand your headspace. Having a solid support system amd the courage to open our mouths is crucial!

^^^yes, crucial. Good word. That's what I keep reminding John. This is a stressful month for lots of people. Love n light to you all, don't let the holiday hunundrums go to work. Communicate every thing. I woke up angry yesterday, couldn't kick it even after cleaning the house so we took off for a drive and within an hour the change of scenery and music mellowed me out.

Hi, everyone! Feeling on extremely thin ice today. Determined not to use. But the bells are ringing like murder. FML.

I am well aware. Bupropion is a DRI, though it also hits on interesting receptors as well such as its antagonism at nicotinic acetylcholine alpha7 subunit receptor; which makes it a poor medication choice for cigarette smokers/tobacco users.

I had no problem going from 150mg bupropion to nothing instantly, and I had no withdrawal symptoms and frankly didn't notice the difference.

Just FYI, the maximum therapeutic dose of bupropion for depression is 300mg. I've seen it go higher in rare instances. Above 300 mg, seizure risk is high. 150 is low.
As I mentioned, it's been around awhile but MAOIs and TCAs are really old (1950s) and really dirty. And still not well understood.
Bupropion is a little younger- don't quote me but circa 1969. It wasn't introduced in the US until 1989. And I need to correct myself- it's an SNRI and seems to be primarily affecting dopamine with effects on norepinephrine. It's one of if not the most popularly prescribed ADs. Obviously things that work and don't have a high side effect profile tend to stick around.
Effexor is much newer, relatively. Gets great reviews.
Best, CD

Last edited:
I was actually taking 300mg XL.

I don't know why I put 150. 8(

Today has been stressful for me. :|

^Sorry CH. Hope it gets better.
I had to review pharmacology papers (snooze) re bupropion. It's been awhile since neurotransmission in living animals (not joking!) and whatever you learned changes anyway!!