Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Diphenhydramine HCL 875mg - Moderate Experience - Desperate for sleep

Fauks

Greenlighter
I quit a 5 year long heroin/meth addiction (IV) about 5 weeks ago. I moved from LA to Atlanta, hoping not having access to said drugs would aid in quitting. After a horrid 5 weeks, sleeping is still very hard for me. After all the drugs I've plowed through my body, a few benadryl (375mg) seemed fine. That was two hours ago and I'm obviously not asleep. I did however notice an odd feeling arising, a state on confusion I could only relate to previous psychedelic trips. I knew at very high doses, benadryl can cause hallucinations, but I had previously figured I wasn't anywhere near those doses. Desperate for sleep or some state of altered consciousness, I popped another 500mg about 20 minutes ago. It's 11:40am EST currently, I'll update as I go.

9:30am - 375mg

Feeling as anyone in my situation would feel. Anxious, depressed, fatigued, nauseous (not abnormally), restless, irritable. How I would normally feel although I feel an odd state of confusion coming on.

11:25 - 500mg
Same as above, but the confusion is stronger. I find myself getting stuck staring at inanimate objects. Nothing to abnormal, although typing seems to be getting more difficult. Reminds me of the beginning of a DXM trip, but no euphoria.

112:10p
Feeling slightly more anxious, probably due to anticipation. Lights seem to be glowing, visually similar to coming up on MDMA. I'm also noticing stronger difficulty with though. Slight euphoria, countered by the afformentioned anxiety mixed with stronger confusion is definitely interesting. I'm also not nearly as sleepy as I'd thought I'd be.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_diphenhydramine
substancecode_deliriants
explevel_experienced
exptype_negative
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like this ended right around where most live trip reports end: in the middle.

375 mg isn't a "few" benadryl; you'd have to take several to reach that amount (15, actually). It sounded like your aim was sleep; what possessed you to think this dose would put you asleep? Was it just desperation combined with ignorance of the substance? And then adding 500 mg on top of it . . . holy shit dude. At that dose you'd better pray that sleep finds you (which it won't).

Low doses are the only way to attain sleep from diphenhydramine -- 25 - 100 mg, generally; take too much and the RLS predominates. But it sounds like you took this substance willy-nilly without much thought or consideration, and such attitudes can be dangerous, especially with something as delirious and frankly-unpleasant as diphenhydramine. Please respond and let the community know you're ok, and be careful in the future. This is no drug to fuck with in high doses; I'm sure several BL'ers can anecdotally attest to that.

RLS is too much for me at 75-100mg. besides, I would not recommend tripping on deliriants.

-jeah

Yeah at high dosages diphenhydramine doesn't make you sleep, it makes you hallucinate and become delusional. And feel like shit. Usually the hallucinations are unpleasant, and during them you just think they're real and don't question them much.

I always thought that coming off meth, people sleep way more, not less?

Haha, Xorkoth. You hit the nail square. I despise dph. Even 25mg makes me uncomfortable.

Try melatonin, op.

Your total lack of emotional distress like your even at such high doses is alarming your depression bleeds through your writing. Everything even almost a gram of benadyrl is described like your describing some trivial event or what clothes you put on that day. I highly suggest getting help for your depression. It sounds like you have the severe flat effect I had before commiting suicide. It gets better buddy.