• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

When job interviewers ask if you are interviewing for other positions, why?

cashfl0w_d0nkey

Bluelight Crew
As the title says, what are they trying to figure out? I am never sure how to respond to this question because I'm not sure what they're trying to find out, and I don't really want to "show my hand", so to speak. For example, if I am interviewing for other positions, and they are asking in order to make sure that I'm not going to be hired elsewhere before the interview process is over, then I don't want them to know that I'm interviewing elsewhere (I don't have any moral issues with this either). If they are asking to see if I'm an in-demand candidate or how determined I am to make a move, then I want them to think that I'm interviewing elsewhere even if I'm not. Thoughts?

i would tell them that, of course, i am exploring more than one opportunity but use that to pivot to what it is about this position that excites me and why i'm a great candidate for the job.

alasdair

sub forum re: value?

/don't hate, i'm just a little guy

edit: btw, I think we could get 15-30 in a value/finance forum here on BL.

i would tell them that, of course, i am exploring more than one opportunity but use that to pivot to what it is about this position that excites me and why i'm a great candidate for the job.

alasdair

the way to handle it.

what they are trying to figure out is what the odds are you have other offers on the table. if you say no then they will likely start negotiations with a figure below market value for your skills, so you really don't benefit from answering "no" in any situation.

the good thing is intel is a two-way street. if the interviewer asks you this question late in the process it means you're on the short list and can press your advantage, if they ask you the question early on then it could mean novice interviewer and that's bad for you because they often prioritize hubris over making a fair value assessment and will pass on a good candidate even if the higher price is better value than paying below market for someone less skilled.

Thanks for the replies. I have been doing a lot of interviews lately and responding that I have other leads does seem to be very effective.

If I were answering it, I'd say that I have interviewed other places but feel this the opportunity is somehow more fitting with what you want to do and give a reason. If you keep getting this question, try to come up with a reason beforehand as to why you would say that the job you're intereviewing for is more suited to your needs. What type of job is it that you're looking for? Just curious.