• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall Tolerance (What is Meth?)

Billybadjoebob

Bluelighter
This is only my second post and I am afraid I do not know how/where to find the amphetamine sub-forum. Advice would be more than welcome on how to find it. Unless I am utterly blind I do not see it when I go to the "Forums" link.

Question:

Is a one-time use of methamphetamines enough to create a noticeable tolerance for amphetamines in general? I'm just curious from a novice interested in the mechanics of substances on your brain.

Also, what differentiates methamphetamine from
amphetamine? Obviously the meth-, but in a not overly specialized way could someone explain the actual
chemical difference? I'm no biochemist or organic chemistry student, yet that sort of thing is of an immense interest to me nonetheless.

Thanks in advance for tolerating the noobishness of this post :D

Welcome to the site :)

I have moved your post to the relevant section (It was under - other drugs and then prefixed as Amphetamines).

Don't worry about not being able to find your way around - post in homeless and one of the mods will move your post (you will quickly get the hang of things).

We have a 'greenlighter guide' that you can find here (if your used to forums then most of it will be standard stuff).

If you have any questions please ask and somebody will help you out :)

As far as a tolerance, if there is one I didn't notice and I used the two interchangeably for a few weeks daily. Which I wouldn't advise obviously. After a while I kicked the smoking and tried to ween off with adderall, also wouldnt advise once again. Either way tho, still had the same effect from my doses. I just found I like higher doses. Not so much because of a tolerance, really just because Im "that kind of person"

Is a one-time use of methamphetamines enough to create a noticeable tolerance for amphetamines in general? I'm just curious from a novice interested in the mechanics of substances on your brain.

From using it only once? Probably not.
I mean, it's obviously going to contribute to your overall amphetamine tolerance since it shares the same mechanism of action ("cross-tolerance"), but the main reason you're probably going to get less out of Adderall if you already did meth is that meth is so euphoric that Adderall isn't going to impress you as much anymore.

Also, what differentiates methamphetamine from
amphetamine? Obviously the meth-, but in a not overly specialized way could someone explain the actual
chemical difference? I'm no biochemist or organic chemistry student, yet that sort of thing is of an immense interest to me nonetheless.

The "Meth-" stands for "N-Methyl". The extra methyl group makes the drug more lipophilic, meaning it can enter the brain faster, thus producing a more intense "rush". It is also longer-lasting (after all, one of methamphetamine's main metabolites in the body is normal amphetamine). Unlike amphetamine, methamphetamine can also be smoked effectively, which is a highly effective route of administration for those who dislike needles.
Meth is also much more neurotoxic than amphetamine, killing off both dopaminergic and serotonergic neurons.

Edit: Did I really just write "neurotonins"? :p

Last edited:
amphetamine has a phenyl-group ( A Circle/ring ) attached to a 3 carbon chain, with a nitrogen attached to the second carbon.
Methamphetamine adds an aditional carbon onto the end of the nitrogen, making it a phenyl-group (A circle/ring) attached to a 3 carbon chain, with a nitrogen attached to the second ring w/ an additional carbon attached to it.

This additional carbon makes the compound more lipophilic (fat-loving) than amphetamine; therefore be able to enter your brain, neurons/ cells more easily because they a lipid(fat)bilayer makes up the outside of the cell and allows things into the cell based on their lipoohilicity. A carbon attached to any single thing is called a methyl-group. Therefore you have methamphetamine - which has increased potency, and likewise, increased neurotoxicity than amphetamine - because all amphetamines are neurotoxic- directly correlated with potency.

METH IS THE LEAST FUN DRUG I EVER TRIED, TOOK ~35MG ORALLY AND HAD THE WORST JITTERS/ ANXIETY/ COMPULSIVENESS/ WEIRD-BEHAVIOR, AND HAD TO DRINK 1+ LITRE OF RUM TO SLEEP AT 9AM THE EXT MORNING AND I DONT EVEN DRINK.

Thank you guys very much for the information around! I think I understand most of it anyway.

Tonight im coming down off a three day-er. Well, I was smoking a cigarette before I went to bed and all of a suddden right before i ashed out my cigarette I got, no joke, the biggest fucking head rush of my life. Guys have any idea what the fuck happened? I'm fairly experienced with meth and I only felt a rush like this one time. Even then it wasn't as strong. After my head jumped into hyperspace I just got a good old Tina surge. It felt like I had just hit my arm, I did once today (Saturday) and once the day before that. When I did the shot today it didn't feel quite right. I mellowed, didn't tweak. That was at like 3:00PM... then all of a sudden at midnight it feels like the shot JUST now hit me.

That's the only thing I can think of. probably felt it because I hadn't slept yet at the time.