• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Best UK route to sober living? Cocaine, Opiates & Alcohol

Driller_Dug

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

First off if this is the wrong section - MODS please move,

I have a daily dihydrocodeine habit of ~ 500mg along with promethazine & alcohol to help the histamine reactions/drug synergy for the last 8 months,

I also have a cocaine habit going the same way - already had a handful of scary moments when taking it too far with speedballs.

At the moment i'm holding down a job in engineering with a degree etc and in 6 mths time I can see myself having thrown it all way - long story short I'm ready to quit for good.

Whats the best route to sobriety take for UK citizens? I have no private care etc. I'm going to tell my GP this week and see where it gets me?

Have your GP prescribe you xanax and clonidine and take them as needed. Also, cold turkey the withdrawals. It will hurt more, but it will end quicker. I just quit heroin a few days ago cold turkey and I'm still alive and kicking! That proves that anyone can do it!

I think that the most important thing you can do is to get support as you begin to untangle why you have landed where you are. Recovery takes deep soul searching work that goes well beyond the substance abuse itself. Getting therapeutic and intimate support (friends and family) can be vital. If you think you need to hide it from everyone that is a good sign that you are nurturing shame within. Don't feed that beast. Take stock of how things got out of control and then you will have a clearer picture of what you need to do in your life to get your needs met in healthier ways.

Have your GP prescribe you xanax and clonidine and take them as needed. Also, cold turkey the withdrawals. It will hurt more, but it will end quicker. I just quit heroin a few days ago cold turkey and I'm still alive and kicking! That proves that anyone can do it!

I'm not sure Benzos is a good idea as a common cause of death by OD is mixing with xanax. I do not have the self control to trust myself with benzos.

I think that the most important thing you can do is to get support as you begin to untangle why you have landed where you are. Recovery takes deep soul searching work that goes well beyond the substance abuse itself. Getting therapeutic and intimate support (friends and family) can be vital. If you think you need to hide it from everyone that is a good sign that you are nurturing shame within. Don't feed that beast. Take stock of how things got out of control and then you will have a clearer picture of what you need to do in your life to get your needs met in healthier ways.

My family think I have been sober for 6 months - I am close to involving them, but just weighing up the options due to the hurt it will cause to my parents.

I can give you the perspective of a parent that has been in that situation. More than anything else they want to be helpful and this is not possible without honesty. Even if they overreact initially because of their hurt and fear, just try to allow them the space to regain their balance and then let them know what would be most helpful for you. Maybe you could take it a step further even and do some reading about addiction together. Most of us parents have a head-full of misinformation and when this is compounded by fear it can work against everyone's healing.