• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Sick note help - Looking for Advice

Silhouetta

Greenlighter
Hi!

I'm sorry to bother you all with probably a frequently asked question but I need some help and threads I found via google on this topic is from a good 5/6 years ago and thought I'd try asking myself.

I've been off sick for a week now due to constant vomiting and high levels of stress. I also had to take unauthorised leave due to the recent death of my uncle the previous week. I have a history of anxiety and depression which I believe is starting to take part in this now too. My home life is very stressful, where I am close to being kicked out. and has stopped me from basic and daily tasks of standard living I.E: personal hygiene is lacking, I'm not eating or drinking like I should be... hence becomin very ill. Infact over a week ago I was in the hospital due to my asthma and my bloods came back extremely dehydrated. My work is very demanding and is generally stressful and although I love my job, I don't feel I am well enough physically and mentally to go back to work, or even continue with this line of work. Inevitably I will be moving and I won't be close to work. My issue is I'm unable to book an appointment with my GP until 2 weeks from now but I was hoping they could perhaps sign me off due to my enveloping problems which is having a massive impact on my health, and my line of work is not helping the situation. Also, I'm next due in on the upcoming Monday and my work will ask for a sick note. But again, I can't book an appointment with a GP sooner so there's an issue (not to mention this GP is not my standard.) I have my resignation ready as my living situations may change drastically in the upcoming week but I'm not sure how to hand this in aswell.

As you can imagine I am worried about writing my problems out like this but I have no one to go to... I've hit rock bottom and I'm stuck. I'm just looking for advice.

1) How should I go about getting a sick note?

2) I'm also looking to leave as this has been a recent problem, am I allowed to resign whilst giving in a sick note/being signed off work?

3) I have to give 4 weeks notice also, will this still apply even if I am signed off?

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to get out of work either because I am genuinely in need of help and my mental health is just getting worse due to this stress. I'm not great at writing my problems out either so if parts don't make sense I am very sorry and will try my best to amend it.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can you not see anyone else? Can you go to a clinic? There are literally THOUSANDS of doctors...

Do you have to see this particular one? Are you seeing a therapist? If not, find one and get them to write you a note.

As Pretty Diamond states - see another doctor.

You can also call the doctors and ask for a sick note - from this date for x amount of days. Usually if it is more than a couple of days the doctor will want to see you and you can schedule an emergency appointment. You can also have a sick note back dated if your unable to see a doctor straight away (advise the doctors office what your doing and tell them you want a sick note from this date)

You can resign whilst being on the sick and the time of you take 'sick' will be counted as part of your 4 weeks notice.

Depending on your type of work and where your going your company will let you go before your notice is up (especially if you are moving to a competitor etc).