• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Trying to quit heroin/fentanyl addiction, please help!

I am also desperately trying to kick a heroin habit and know exactly how hard it is. Good luck to you, if anyone has any words of advice or encouragement I could seriously use some haha. I'm going on 48 hours with no dope and am starting to feel really horrible. I just want to make it through these next few days........

I kicked my habit after tapeting down to 14grams of heroin mixed with fent. It took me 3 weeks of unbearable withdrawals and i was cold and weak and couldnt sleep. I have been clean off of opiates sunce may 27 2016. After 83 days of post acute withdrawal i went on suboxone. Im not sure it was the beat decision but I have 2 children I need to take care of. My advice for detoxing is baths, heating blankets, clonodine, gabapentin and BOOST energy drinks. I had absolutely no appetite at all but i forced the boost down. 6 a day. And it really helped me when the detox was over because I finally had sone energy to move about. Good luck! Power through it. Sober is so much better than active addiction. There is life after addiction and its beautiful. I promise

I am also desperately trying to kick a heroin habit and know exactly how hard it is. Good luck to you, if anyone has any words of advice or encouragement I could seriously use some haha. I'm going on 48 hours with no dope and am starting to feel really horrible. I just want to make it through these next few days........

Do you have any medications to help you? I use Imodium, Xanax, neurontin mainly when I have withdrawals and it works for the most part. My biggest issue is have zero energy and I work at a very physical job (lifting 40-50 pounds constantly) and as you can imagine I dread going to work. When I was on dope I actually looked forward to it and did extremely well while high which makes quitting so hard, because you don't feel 100% for awhile which leads to relapses. I was just being a drunk idiot when I relapsed. It was too hard to say no when it was a line was literally placed right in front of me. Then I ended up buying a finger (10 grams) that night with my Christmas bonus I had received from work that day and it lasted me ~2 weeks. I think the withdrawals are worse with the stuff I get because it's mostly fentanyl. I remember my first time trying it, I tried a pinch of it and puked minutes later haha. I think my problem is just that I have no friends other than those who are drug addicts so it makes it tempting knowing I can go out and get it anytime and my dealer even delivers to my house and throws me free dope sometimes if it's a big purchase. And the fact that one of those friends is my best friend who I've known for 15 years and who grew up with me and went through everything with me. It makes it that much harder because he refuses to quit when we had made a pact to quit together and I was the only one who went through it (Before I relapsed of course) and our friendship is somewhat in shambles now (we don't talk much anymore) I think it's due to his jealously that I'm able to deal with the withdrawals because he can't. He doesn't do dope to get high, just to maintain normality and is petrified of withdrawals and refuses to quit. Last time he has withdrawals he went to the hospital because he couldn't handle it and it made me feel bad for him but I think that encounter traumatized him that he can't make it through withdrawals so he refuses to quit. But I have to work on ME first before I can assist him because I'm still healing myself!

I kicked my habit after tapeting down to 14grams of heroin mixed with fent. It took me 3 weeks of unbearable withdrawals and i was cold and weak and couldnt sleep. I have been clean off of opiates sunce may 27 2016. After 83 days of post acute withdrawal i went on suboxone. Im not sure it was the beat decision but I have 2 children I need to take care of. My advice for detoxing is baths, heating blankets, clonodine, gabapentin and BOOST energy drinks. I had absolutely no appetite at all but i forced the boost down. 6 a day. And it really helped me when the detox was over because I finally had sone energy to move about. Good luck! Power through it. Sober is so much better than active addiction. There is life after addiction and its beautiful. I promise

Thank you for replying! When I was clean for that small window of time, I noticed I could smell better and everything was more vibrant. Not sure if it's a placebo effect but it made me happy. Absolutely agree with gabapentin and clonidine. However I can't sleep so I have to use Xanax to sleep (Not abusing it, only take it at bedtime) How many MG of subs were you on? I was in a program and got prescribed them but never took them because I did research and heard the withdrawals are longer than cold turkey so I have like 100+ subutex stockpiled in case I ever need them for some insane reason! Also, I hate the no energy or appetite part. I haven't eaten more than a fewer protein bars and a few bottles of water each day because I have 0 appetite. It sucks.

The clonidine really helped me sleep but i only took it at night cause it made me feel like a zombie. And yes you smell better, feel better and everything does seem literally brighter lol. I found that too. Your senses all come back like crazy! I am on 20mg of suboxone now. My dr just increased it this week actually. Because my liver processes stuff so quickly im finding i feel withdrawal symptoms again by bed time every day. Drs answer has always been to just keep upping my dose. But 20mg is making me sick. So after 2 days i decided to go back to 16mgs and my pharmacist has suggested splitting my dosage up between morning and night instead of the normal once a day. I will post back about how thats going for me because I desperately want to just feel normal again. I have also heard that the withdrawals from suboxone are impossible. But right now i just want to live and feel normal and care for my kids. So I was willing to try anything to kick PAWS. I think that suboxone also affects my appetite. Or maybe i just dont eat a lot lol. But i do smoke pot once in a while to eat or i think i would be a skeleton. But the boost shakes saved my life for sure. Whan all else fails, drink your food hahaha. Good luck! Do what works for you and keeps you clean and sober and getting better.

The clonidine really helped me sleep but i only took it at night cause it made me feel like a zombie. And yes you smell better, feel better and everything does seem literally brighter lol. I found that too. Your senses all come back like crazy! I am on 20mg of suboxone now. My dr just increased it this week actually. Because my liver processes stuff so quickly im finding i feel withdrawal symptoms again by bed time every day. Drs answer has always been to just keep upping my dose. But 20mg is making me sick. So after 2 days i decided to go back to 16mgs and my pharmacist has suggested splitting my dosage up between morning and night instead of the normal once a day. I will post back about how thats going for me because I desperately want to just feel normal again. I have also heard that the withdrawals from suboxone are impossible. But right now i just want to live and feel normal and care for my kids. So I was willing to try anything to kick PAWS. I think that suboxone also affects my appetite. Or maybe i just dont eat a lot lol. But i do smoke pot once in a while to eat or i think i would be a skeleton. But the boost shakes saved my life for sure. Whan all else fails, drink your food hahaha. Good luck! Do what works for you and keeps you clean and sober and getting better.

Thank you so much for your reply! Also to note, I have this foggy type feeling every day, like I'm not all there and not too alert (no meds). And at my job I have alot of things I have memorized and I'm finding myself being slower at remembering where things are located and such. Is this all normal or did the dope fry my brain?

Update: Still clean and feeling GREAT. Finally got rid of all that fuzziness and lethargy. I've been taking multivitamins and found they help. Still having sleeping issues but the past 2 nights I've managed to fall asleep without needing a benzo or melatonin! Only slept 4 hours each time but it's not bad considering no medication was being used for them! Also, I was not abusing benzo's or anything. Only taken at bed time and it wasn't every night, maybe every other night.

Last edited:
Good job man. I'm going through it now too. No h / f for over a week now and i used 3 subs the first 4 days, going on my 4th day now with no sleep and its really shitty. 4am where I am and I don't feel the least bit tired. I can't wait to get home and have a Xanax and just sleep for once. Not that I want a benzo habit because those are evil too. But I've had clonidine and it's just not doing much now.

Good job man. I'm going through it now too. No h / f for over a week now and i used 3 subs the first 4 days, going on my 4th day now with no sleep and its really shitty. 4am where I am and I don't feel the least bit tired. I can't wait to get home and have a Xanax and just sleep for once. Not that I want a benzo habit because those are evil too. But I've had clonidine and it's just not doing much now.
Yeah the clonidine works for a few days but after that it stops working. With the Xanax, you take it and then you know you'll be out within half an hour and that you'll FINALLY get that much needed sleep!

Hey everyone, just checking back in! I'm still going strong, even though I still don't feel 100% (PAWS), I do feel a little better each day and I have actually began posting in other TDS threads to help out those who went through what I did/am! It's the least I could do to show my appreciation and gratitude for this fantastic community! :)