Good 80's music?

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Thread title says it all- who do you like from the 80's? An era of very distinct sound, huge gated reverb snares, cheesy analog synths, new wave/no wave/punk/post punk. We saw extreme metal begin with releases such as Black Metal by Venom, then the stuff by Celtic Frost and Bathory. Metallica started making waves, AC/DC kicking ass. Styles like doom metal were solidified, death metal and then black metal became things. Not a great era for the classic rock groups; I don't think the Stones did much of note though Steel Wheels was listenable. I love Black Sabbath but can completely and comfortably disregard their 80's output. Interesting expansion of the New Wave stuff into ambient/neo-folk groups such as Dead Can Dance. Early days of hardcore punk branching it grindcore and related genres. The beginning of acid house and the subsequent explosion of electronic music onto the scene.

Some absolute garbage in the 80's, probably of a similar ratio to now.

I've been a fan of Depeche Mode for some time, recently getting into more of their early stuff- fucking brilliant stuff there. This whole album from 1982 is great:

Early proto-black/thrash metal:

I thought we could share some of our favorite bands and albums from that era. Have at it.

i like all 80s pop, new wave, dark wave, synth wave, whatever... rock bands with crazy hair..

it's all good to me. let me pull out some obscure lesser known hip stuff tho

In Aeternam Vale... originally self-released on various cassettes by the band’s frontman Laurent Prot between 1985-1988. The sound ranges from early EBM / industrial to gristly coldwave to dark reverby guitar psychedelia. o0o0o0o

Not a big fan of the 80s tbh the cheesy synths just kill me inside and I don't really like metal. No wave is cool though.

The cheesy synths are a turn off to me too, at times. But its part of the aesthetic and I've come to appreciate their use in 80's music as appropriate.

Here is something.

Here is something similar:

Second version is way better.

I think this was written, maybe even recorded in 1979 but it still fits. Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart:

Pixies
Gun Club
Feelies
Sonic Youth
Billy Childish (and all his bands)
PIL
Hoodoo Gurus
Sunnyboys
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Siouxsie & the Banshees
Jesus & Mary Chain
My Bloody Valentine

The cheesy synths are a turn off to me too, at times. But its part of the aesthetic and I've come to appreciate their use in 80's music as appropriate.

Here is something.

{Quote]

Yes. =D

I.am.not.ashamed.

^^ You probably should be :)

The Triffids
Died Pretty
The Go-Betweens
Magazine
The Wreckery
Steely Dan
Husker Du

Violent Femmes, David Bowie, rolling Stones, Tom petty and the Heartbreakers, the floating heads, slayer, N.W.A.

^^ You probably should be :)

The Triffids
Died Pretty
The Go-Betweens
Magazine
The Wreckery
Steely Dan
Husker Du

haha For sure but my ego's well and truly armoured at this stage - believe me. ;) Everyone is slightly unsettled by Phil Collins =D
*Note Phil Collins' death-stare at 2.37, in former video

....It's 90's but for the sake of non-conformity

Last edited:

Here is something.

Second version is way better.

This is pretty special - like one half of Ramstein's testicle!=D

the Church — Under the Milky Way Tonight (1988 )

Always liked this song. Used to good effect in the movie Donnie Darko — in the costume party scene

Dinosaur Jr — Budge [Bug (album)] (1988 )

Love this song! Hard to imagine this album was released in 1988. Totally ahead of its time and no doubt influenced the music to come in the 90's.

I second the earlier suggestion of Violent Femmes...their first LP is fucking classic.

In a much more New Wave vein, one of my guilty pleasures...