• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2016-2017 NCAA Basketball thread v. QUACK... QUACK...

it was awesome seeing william's arena sold out(thanks to a solid 1k-2k badger fans who made trip) and maybe i'm biased but that place gets louder when opponent misses a shot than some middle of pack SEC school's gym gets after hitting a tying 3 with less than 2 mins to go..

To be honest with you, I get pissed all the time at the crowds at Rupp. It's like a fucking old folks home most of the time, that's what it seems like anyway. Or a library. It can get LOUD but it never lasts very long. Florida on the other hand ALWAYS shows up. LSU does as well. But like you said, SEC is a pretty sleepy conference overall. UK has some of the best, most knowledgeable fans I've ever come across... but there are TONS of fair weather fans too. They don't start watching until sometime around Christmas, don't hear a word from them until we lose, then they get on facebook and cry and complain like bitches. Like they know more about basketball than Cal. Idiots. They don't even get that the edge we have year after year when it comes to recruiting is Cal. They love the seeing the superstar freshmen roll in every year but then bitch about one and dones at the first bump in the road. I mean seriously, we are 17-3. Two of them were road games against huge rivals. The other was against a final four contender and one of the best players in the country. All three losses by 5 points or less.

I agree Maryland is a little over rated. Good luck. Kansas will be at Rupp on Saturday. Two great teams coming off losses.

dude it's because they never have anybody very good inside rupp and if they do it's pre conference where a percentage of fan bases just isn't ready yet
you guys will always sell out, but it's like going to a sold out movie

'cats play most of their top 40 talents at neutral courts anyway?

again, i believe gophers get a jacked up crowd because they are so desperate and just want to be big boys in town for a few years (town is wisconsin/iowa/minnesota)
there's def problems with old boosters sitting in prime seats that you see on TV that make people sit down, but in that dark barn it's the people lurking in the 15 dollar shadows summoning those sonic booms

big ten is in miserable land USA, people need an outlet to rage like a healthy person, yet they have a small football stadium for big ten and they've maybe sold out 5 times in 7 years

it's b/c gophs play in a major metro area, not shitty college town....gopher hockey(if you've seen fargo goph hockey gets two mentions in scenes <3) and vikings are probably two most popular teams...although andrew wiggins is trying to change that

MPLS might help recruiting but it sucks for fans, although area school is in is kind of a college town within a major city, still it's a pain in the ass for non students/casual fan

FTR coach cal is my favorite, he's got the best on camera charisma in the game, like a stupid chick, i like a dude with confidence and i hate sports fans. because none of them are as reasonable as me. i'm trained to take abuse, so i can enjoy a moral victory, and i'll never degrate anyone on gophs....i rarely do it in NFL but FUCK YOU GREG ROBINSON SECOND OVERALL PICK LT AUBURN THATS DRAFT RAMS ALSO GOT AARON DONALD THEY COULD HAVE MACK AND DONALD OR JAKE MAtTHEWS OR SAMMY WATKINS I DUNNO I GOTTA STOP

my friends think i'm weird for it but during/after games i chat with a mother of a freshman (who is playing pretty well) on gophs. she's a passionate single mom i'm a passionate fan with no gopher fans in big ass radius. we're both adults and enjoy chatting i dunno the problem, even if we did chat about none basketball shit so what, it's just being a buddy...(yeah that's why i brought her up, cause you were talking about shitty online fans)i ain't interested in a SBW with a college kid yo, but she get hurt from assholes online saying shit, i'm her positivity guide, i learned it from coaching HS baseball for 3 years and only winning ONCE

social media was created to divide/grow hatred around the world so we would have to depend on the GOVT just saying wink wink lol

Last edited:
Hell of a game tonight between Kentucky and Georgia. 3 of our guys sick, including Fox. Came back from 14 down and won big in OT. Georgia is good though.

UNC Duke game Thursday night in case anyone didn't know... Should be fun

Yeah that was a total flop by Brooks. Never said I was a huge fan of him, he's just the best player on the team I happen to root for.

I feel like the UNC - Duke rivalry has lost some of the intensity it used to have. Or maybe UNC has just lost some of their luster. I know they made the final last year but I seriously couldn't tell you anyone on their team besides Kennedy Meeks. And I only remember his name because it's funny sounding. I can't think of anyone coming out of UNC and doing well in the pros since... Harrison Barnes I guess? And he isn't an overly special player in the NBA. Even their 2009 championship team, who would have thought that Danny Green would be the most impactful player in the NBA?

and before Danny Green, you'd have to go back over a decade to Vince Carter / Antawn Jamison to find any really special players. Raymond Felton is ight. That's really the best word I can think of to describe him. He's just... ight.

Oregon / UCLA tomorrow night, this game should determine who wins the Pac 12 regular season title, not that it really means anything. I just want to see Chris Boucher send a ball into the stands. And some people would say it's not a good rejection if you don't give your team a chance to get the ball but I don't think those people understand the message sent and the effect it can have on the game.

ok I'm about to go on a by of rant here but it's part of the reason I don't find the NFL to be as enjoyable to watch as it used to be.

you can't send a message to the other team without hurting yours anymore. That's part of the reason Tom Brady wins so many games, you can't fuckin touch the guy (shout out to the Tuck Rule). And his O line is just good enough to get his throws to be right before you make contact with him. And then you can either keep running and get a clean shot at him or pull up and let him be.

If im a coach, I'm telling my biggest goon player right at the start of the game: don't pull up. Make that fucker pick grass out of his helmet. I want him brushing dirt out of his mouth guard he doesn't really need anyway.

both Super Bowls he lost he was heavily pressured the whole game. If you don't make the guy start hearing footsteps, he will kill you every time. And how do you make someone hear footsteps?

you hit them every single time you come close. To the ground. Make him reconsider his career for a second. Not saying cheap shot him, that's bush league.

but those 50/50 calls of a defender hitting the QB a half second after the ball leaves his hand. You need to take him to the ground every time.

and it seems like the NFL is fully invested in giving those 50/50 calls to the offense every time. Its not even a 50/50 call anymore, it's just roughing the passer.

the whole point of playing defense is to throw the offense off their game enough to the point where they don't execute their game plan properly. There's only so much room and defenders on the field, someone is going to be able to get open if everyone runs the right routes. When the offense knows the defense can't touch them, it becomes infinitely easier to execute the gameplan

dont get me wrong, I love a 60 yard touchdown pass as much as anyone, but not at the expense of the defense having a legitimate chance at defending it. If it's not roughing the passer it's pass interference, which is an absolute killer. WAYYY too much yards given out for pass interference. It should be 10 yards and a first down. That's it

no amount of X's and O's can make up for what has been taken away from the NFL. The very primal, evolutionary feeling of something very fast and very powerful being able to rip your head off at any moment.

All because a couple of guys killed themselves and a lawsuit was filed against the NFL.

But yeah, back to basketball, sending a ball into the stands is akin to a massive dunk as far as momentum goes. You can't put it into box score, the effect it has on the game. No matter what had transpired in the game up to that point, a big rejection or big dunk is a momentary rush of adrenaline for whichever team is responsible for it. And a lot of times, that temporary momentum change can be the start of a run for the team on the giving end. And basketball really is a game of runs. You score 20 while I score 5, I'll score 15 while you score 0. so on and so forth. Just hope your team has longer and more devastating runs than the other team.

Idk what I'm even talking about at this point

Idk what I'm even talking about at this point
atta babe!

Gophs almost blew their 4th home game tonight after leading by 14 in second half but pulled off the 2OT thriller vs hated IOWA, even when it wasn't looking good ate in 2nd half and in first OT...proud of my boy soph F jordan murphy who has been garbage all big ten season, tonight he played his game, scored all points in paint/off rebounds and put up 25-19 and 4 blocks....C reggie lynch leads big ten in blocks at just over 3, he had 6
PG nate mason was huge at the end including a real nice slash to the basket to tie the game with 8 seconds left, he ended with 25 pts

william's arena was rocking, a true NCAA atmosphere power

as of this moment gophers are tied with south carolina in RPI at 22, SOS is 11, kentucky's 12

their average seed is 8.25(will probably go down to 7.5 after the update) for NCAAs(despite being 5-6 in conference) at www.bracketmatrix.com - great little source for braketology, it's over 100 independent bracket projections, 103/105 brackets have them in, and that was before tonight's win

4 out of last 7 games at home(IU, mich, PSU and neb) road games @rut, @MD and @wisconsin

they have 3rd best RPI in big ten just behind purdue at 20, wisconsin at 17....god damn they should have beat MSU and wisconsin at home!!! but whatever, that win at purdue is going to go a long ways, hopefully NW can make NCAAs for first time ever so the win their stays as a top 40 road win

if they some how finish 10-8 in conf and can make final four of big ten tournament a 5-6 seed(my mich fan friend thinks they will win the BT tourney, which would earn them a 4 seed at worse8o) is a real possibility(worst losses are @ psu and vs OSU....i don't care, i just want them to play both syracuse and notre dame in NCAA and beat them both

after a 5 game losing streak that ended @illinois on saturday they now have a 2 game win streak with a chance to win maybe 5 in a row with next 3 game @rut,, vs IU and vs Mich

i'm calling 7 big ten bids: wisconsin, purdue, maryland, minnesota, MSU, northwestern and either michigan or indiana

gophers are about to become a yearly staple in the NCAAs, i'm calling at least 5 straight appearances starting this year

be a buddy and root for the gophs!<3

Nice posts guys...

I'm hoping the SEC will have 4. Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, and maybe Georgia. Georgia is so damn good but they have been the unluckiest team in the NCAA this year. Heart breaking loss after heart breaking loss. Their records not that great on paper right now, but I'm hoping they can finish strong and go deep into the sec tourney.

No one respects the SEC though. Its such bull shit. The sports media licks all these obscure conferences assholes all season yet barely mention the SEC.

Gonzagas overrated every fucking year. ("They're for real this year" -Every sports commentator) Just wanted to throw that in too...

Last edited:
Lol, "Gonzaga is for real this year" always starts surfacing around this time

I'd disagree, but who am I to say.

Cal is refusing to schedule games against Kansas due to a CA state law that prohibits public schools from traveling to states that exhibit "anti-LGBT laws"

I literally can't even right now

Not that I agree with the laws, but wtf does that have to do with basketball?

Seems like a subtle cop out to get schools to travel TO California and have to play road games.

Cali has their weed laws on point and just about nothing else that I agree with.

I mean seriously, what the fuck?

Drives me crazy, how people are just never satisfied.

It's as if the LGBT community (god forbid I say the G word) is on a mission to stomp out every single person who doesn't agree with their lifestyle.

Here's a bit of knowledge for you: MOST people don't agree with homosexual practices, but they agree with your right to practice them.

I don't give three fucks if you want to have sex with the same sex. I can't say it is something I would do, and I certainly find it odd, but that's your choice.

Just like it is some religious nutbag's choice to despise you for it.

"We can't help it we were born like this"

Ok, I agree with that. But don't you think these religious groups are a bit indoctrinated as well? They really can't help that they truly believe you will go to hell for being homosexual because that is all they ever grew up hearing.

Banning travel to their state isn't going to change their opinion.

Cal isn't good enough at basketball for this to really matter but it's the principle really.

I'm not really a fan of Donald Trump but I do enjoy how he gets so many people pissed off at his very existence and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it except lash out at random events that are totally unrelated such as protesting at airports or banning college sporting events

Way to go PC Police.

Weee woo weee wooo

Funs over until everyone feels sorry for us. Dol wit it

Gonzaga is "for real" because they play East Southwest Nowhere St for the majority of their games. Pretty sure I'd be in the rotation on the teams they play against.

"But what about St Marys!"

Oh, that team that plays the same weak ass conference opponents as Gonzaga? Sorry, just gave my last two fucks to that Kansas/Cal debacle and now I have to conjur up two more for the games tonight.

In all fairness they did beat Arizona and Florida this year but I fully expect them to be out of the tournament in the Sweet 16. Idk if that's considered "good" for a team that will be a #1 seed but w/e

Give me Duke and Oregon to win tonight.

Not much to say about LaSalle anymore, really have to wait for the A10 tournament.

Just like it is some religious nutbag's choice to despise you for it.

Anyone who wants to despise us is free to do so.
Discrimination is something different.

Nice posts guys...

I'm hoping the SEC will have 4. Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, and maybe Georgia. Georgia is so damn good but they have been the unluckiest team in the NCAA this year. Heart breaking loss after heart breaking loss. Their records not that great on paper right now, but I'm hoping they can finish strong and go deep into the sec tourney.

No one respects the SEC though. Its such bull shit. The sports media licks all these obscure conferences assholes all season yet barely mention the SEC.

Gonzagas overrated every fucking year. ("They're for real this year" -Every sports commentator) Just wanted to throw that in too...
i'm pulling for arkansas to get in because gophs roughed them up 85-71....bracket matrix has them getting in with a average of a 9.93 seed...better than indiana, clemson and syracuse

and i usually hate gonzaga but i think it's time for either them or butler to finally get theirs
gophs RPI has jumped up to 21, just ahead of UCLA

this is when i knew gophs were finally going to catch a break a win a close one

a big time college bball atmosphere at it's finest...and this from a team who doesn't even get votes in the polls, big ten country just loves their hoops...gophs had to go up against home games for the t wolves and wild, sometimes it's a bummer having to play in a major metro area...attendance was probably around 12.5-13k out of 14.5k capacity

i love that the gophers look like they could all be extras in either the warriors or the wire

another nice shot of a great atmosphere
steal>dunk>crowd to it's feet>huge block>eruption

The hard part for most of them is playing good enough non-conference teams to get into the tournament.

Woooo doggies... How bout that wvu ku game last night! Barn burner

i love bob huggins for taking risks on recruits and just being a cold and distant MFer

but again today it took them 2OT to take down tex tech @home

when you're filling out your bracket and notice WVU in elite 8, stop and re adjust, even when he had his best squads at cinci they never did shit

gophers(4 game win streak,7-6 in B1G) hosts micigan (3 game win streak 7-6 BIG) tomorrow 7pm

this game is either gonna be awesome, or w/e, still going dancing, an 11 seed is better than an 8/9

best case realistic scenario is 5-6 seed

they already beat NW and purdue on the road, what if they win @MD and @WIS to end season?

That would be a pretty solid case for them. Especially since NW and Maryland have been two of the sports media darlings this year.

You're right about WVU, no way they make it past the sweet sixteen (I think they will have to get a little lucky with the seeding to even make it that far). Don't get me wrong, I love their style and their heart, but they have too many weak spots.

Here's another tip when filling out your brackets... Don't trust Virginia. Even before last night I knew it. They can't score points. Also, pretty much every west coast team is overrated again this year. But that's pretty much every year.

Also, I said it last year and I was mostly proven right. If you see one of these under rated scrappy SEC teams, pick them. I'm telling you right now... Georgia is the best fucking 15-12 team I have seen in my entire life. You won't know it unless you've watched them throughout this season, but its been heartbreak after heartbreak. Don't tell anyone I said this, but I would almost be okay with them winning the SEC tournament over UK just so they would be guaranteed a spot. If they make it, I'm taking them a LONG way.