• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2016-2017 NCAA Basketball thread v. QUACK... QUACK...

Wed 12/28 9pm vs Cincinnati

Would probably be the most intriguing option

Let me get back to you on that, a lot of moving parts atm

I do love the Owls but I've always been partial to LaSalle tbh

owls went to OT with la salle first game of the season at home.

woulda been cool if villanova was a home game although they'll probably get rekt.

for football i really wanted to go to the penn state game, but it wasn't home this year.

So it turns out Baylor is a pretty good team this year (every year?)

So any allegations that the 2016-2017 Oregon Men's basketball team is inadequate for losing to Baylor when the Duck's best scorer wasn't playing are baseless and meant to try and distract me once the bracket finally comes out

Isn't St. John's one of the worst teams in the big east?

i dunno i just know gophs are 8-1 with their 3 best wins being vs st johns, vs arkansas and vs vandy at neutral site

worst/only loss was close game at FSU, a solid 6-9 seed

they're just better than they've been in a few years, looking forward to it...amir coffey looking to be freshman of year in big ten

Yeah I've been following malik monk play this year because I want the 76ers to draft him

I especially like how he did it against a top tier team and had a lot of clutch baskets.

God I hope we draft him. Don't get me wrong, Lonzo Ball is great, but we could really use a player like Monk

Malik Monk only has 6 pts at the half against Louisville

0-3 from 3pt

I don't even care about the box score, I just want to see if he is capable of being a gamechanging type of player.

I dont know, I was trying to think of a better word than gamechanger, but that's all I got

basically, I want to see if he's clutch or not

and that word can be misconstrued into people thinking it only has to do with a buzzer beater shot to win the game but being clutch actually happens throughout the game. Especially when the other team starts going on a run and you need a basket bad

those moments are almost more important to me than someone who takes the last shot, since the best players are usually heavily guarded on those plays, for good reason

I guess all this rambling has come down to this: I want Malik Monk to be that special type of player who gets you a basket when you NEED one

I know what you mean. As thrilled as I was after the UNC game, my immediate thought was, Monk will underperform against Louisville. As Katy Perry said, you're hot then you're cold. That's how Murray was too. But even though we lost tonight, I feel like it was one of those games we could have easily won by 15 points. Fox will be that constant for us, like Ulis. Bam was better tonight over all, but those foul shots. Damn. Free throws and defense win championships.

Also, not to detract from my team losing against their rival, but...

Grayson Allen makes me sick.
I've always respected coach K, but how can you respect a guy that puts someone like that back in the game?

I literally cannot think of any organization that would tolerate that shit besides Duke.

Yeah I still like monk as a prospect, but he seems kind of lost on defense

De'Aaron Fox is a beast though. When he got that and-1 late in the game it really kept UK hanging around. Then monk hit that really deep 3. I really thought it was going to overtime

Adebayo is a force in the paint too

idk, usually I find Kentucky teams to be unlikeable on the whole but for some reason I really like this team. They have a good balance of players and I feel like they could easily find themselves in the final four

I mean, look at it this way, if Monk shoots even an average night for him, UK wins that game. He might not score 47 every game, but odds are he'll give you more than 16

i know i'm biased but I think the 12-1 gophs are in damn good position to get an NCAA bid

coach pitino mentioned that it's not a team rule, but whenever the kids are around each other they're always talking/cracking jokes with each other instead of being glued to their phones like last year

the entire starting 5 will all be back next season, i wouldn't be surprised if people in media predict them to win big ten in the pre-season
pitino needs to make NCAA to keep his job, he's really lucky to still have it after a horrible last season that featured a sex video posted online that led to the dismissal of one of their best freshman and 2 other kids that are probably better off gone, dupree mcbrayer was involved but was allowed back on the team and he claims to have spent all off season shooting 1k shots a day, the soph is looking really good this year averaging around 13 points and 5 asssists per game

on BTN guy just said he thinks JR PG nate mason is best PG in B1G and he's not even the best player on team, it's a tie between him, soph SG dupree mcbrayer, jr C reggie lynch and freshman SF/future NBAer amir coffey - coffey looks really good and it's not just because he can score, he's the best passer i've seen on gophs in a long time, here's a look at a nice slam he put down friday night

tuesday they open with big ten play at home vs sparty, can't fucking wait, specially considering how bad the football team has broken my heart(if you havn't noticed some sexual shit went down and university is self sabotaging future by making as big of a news story as it is/ignoring police reports doing own investigation)

tune in on 12/27 ESPN2 MSU @ GOPHS

grad student transfer akeem springs is their best 3 point shooter, he's 6th man, he came from UW milwaukee and probably never thought he would have a chance to play in big ten and clearly loving opportunity

last year PF jordan murphy was all freshman big ten, if the gophs are going to have any kind of legit sucess he's going to have to step it up, he's been playing just fine but surely room for improvement
here's to having a great NCAA year, for who ever it is you root for

Good win for Oregon over UCLA despite the lack of defense played by both teams

Didn't even realize USC was undefeated, should be a good game tomorrow night between them and Oregon

And after USC they play Markelle fultz and washington

I basically get my 76ers draft analysis from Oregon games, it's great

Ok it really wasn't a good game actually. Straight beat down from Oregon

Andy Enfield (coach of USC) kinda looks like the guy from the Sonic commercials

dillon brooks missed 1 shot all night

chris Boucher had more blocks (5) than 3 pt attempts (3). I feel like that's a good formula for him.

Dylan Ennis is one of my favorite players. Originally went to Rice, then transferred to Villanova, then to Oregon. Has the little blonde patch of hair like Dennis Schroder on the hawks. I'm indifferent towards the haircut in a fashion sense but I like how it makes him easier to identify at a glance during the game. Clearly his last season playing college ball (25 years old lol) and he plays like it.

Theres a lot of Canadians on Oregon. All 3 of the guys I just mentioned are Canadian. What are they up to over there...

great start for gophs in new year, instead of losing back to back OT games like the past they pull one out on road @ #15 purdue, a building they haven't won at since 2005

nate mason's 31pts 11asts and just 1 turnover have me believing he can play at next level...not just the stats, the style in which he did so, purdue has one of best front courts in country and mason slashed for some sweet points in the paint

as of 1/2/17 RPI is #9 i don't see this getting any better.... still cucked out of AP poll by 18 votes, only a matter of time until they crack top 20

i love this team

Last edited:
Not trying to be a naysayer about 2016-2017 Minnesota basketball but just by looking at their schedule it would seem to me that they beat who they were supposed to beat and lost to who they were supposed to lose to (MSU, FSU)

I think this is going to be a down year for the Big 10. A bunch of teams that are normally much better beating teams that also are normally much better and come march they will all go "but we beat Purdue back in January!"

turns out purdue is a marginal team as well. And Michigan st. And every other team in the big 10

yeah I knew Grayson Allen wouldnt be out for long. I used to hate Duke but now im just sort of indifferent towards them because slowly but surely people are realizing that they are just like every other big time program and have their own share of issues.

They used to never really have 1 and dones but Coach K realized the game had changed and now youre seeing a lot of them at Duke (Kyrie Irving, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, Im assuming Tatum, Giles, and Bolden from this year's team)

So now im just indifferent towards Duke. Odds are I will root for the other team they are playing against, but moreso by default. I dont root for Duke to lose, I root for their opponent to win.

If that makes sense. They're just another college basketball team to me now. Which is exactly what would drive and die-hard Duke fan crazy.

All that aside, I came in this thread to let all 3 regular viewers of this thread know that this Saturday in college basketball is (borrowing a term here) going to be LIT

Yup...its gonna be "on fleek", or whatever. Which games are you looking forward to?

People hate Duke because of the culture it facilitates. Their dumbass fans that wiggle their fingers and jump up and down. The Christian Laetnners, the Grayson Allens, etc. They glamorize cheap and dirty play. I used to kind of respect coach K, but this incident has really tarnished his legacy I think.

Not trying to be a naysayer about 2016-2017 Minnesota basketball but just by looking at their schedule it would seem to me that they beat who they were supposed to beat and lost to who they were supposed to lose to (MSU, FSU)

I think this is going to be a down year for the Big 10. A bunch of teams that are normally much better beating teams that also are normally much better and come march they will all go "but we beat Purdue back in January!"

turns out purdue is a marginal team as well. And Michigan st. And every other team in the big 10
you've always have and always will be a gopher naysayer
the big ten doesn't have a top 5 team but they are easily the 3rd best conference in the country, half the schools will make the NCAAs

you realize gophers went 8-23 last year? currently 14-2

purdue is not a marginal team. they beat a decent iowa squad by 22 and won @OSU who is a better team than record indicates..boiler's caleb swanigen might be the best player in NCAAs

might gophs are coming off back to back road wins(@purdue, and @NW a team a lot of people expect to make their first NCAA, ever)

currently gophers SOS is 7 and their RPI rank is 5

i've been watching this team play for so long and i can say the product they have is as high of a level as ever and their only senior is their 6th man 6'4 undersized 2 guard

nate mason, 3rd year starting(junior0 PG will end up first team big ten(i think he goes to NBA and has a better career than trey burke), soph PF jordan murphy will end up 2nd team all big ten, amir coffey will be a first team all freshman big ten and C reggie lynch is on pace to be defensive player of the year

pitno was on the hot seat big time going into the year, and he's handling the pressure like a boss(overcoming back to back 7 pt second half deficits on the road vs NCAA quality teams is huge, he's been known not to be able to win close games, last two game @pur and @NW are a sign of what goes on). resign him now...but knowing the awful university they'll probably fire him after being a 4 seed in the NCAAs

i just want to remind the mal3 his shit talking before the year, gophers can beat your team, just watch them

the opening B1G schedule of MSU, @pur, @NW, OSU and @MSU people were begging of just a 1-4 start. It's going to be 3-2 at worst. which is likely, either they blow it vs OSU sunday or lose to MSU again on wednesday

this squad will head into next season as B1G favorites