• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Antipsychotics being used in cocaine addiction treatment?

jawbrah

Greenlighter
Hello,

So let me give a brief background story, so I was admitted to a hospital because of my "addiction", which wasn't really serious tbh. It all started in late 2014, when I was going to electronic clubs and festivals here in Brazil and using mdma pills mostly, one time a friend had some coke and asked if I wanted some, I was really reluctant because of the stigma cocaine has specially here in Brazil, but used it anyway... long story short I felt a huge increase in confidence (I'm really shy), and felt like a new person, he gave me that g of coke. I actually only used it in special events, and treated it as a "magic" social lubricant wtf haha, it lasted me 2 months... I liked it specially, because it's not so obvious that you're high on coke, as oppsed to mdma that you just use in places where peopel are rolling.

Then I started buying a g every weekend, there was no fun without some yayo, going to bathrooms at bars chopping up lines on my phone at first I was really comfortable with this, then became a little paranoid people would notice. But it was fun doing with friends talking about so many subjects, which I'm not comfortable doing sober, not even alcohol makes me more social, it only makes me tired and sleepy, so in my head it'd help me socialize, I never used alone, always when I needed to be social, a g would last me a long time.

Then one day at work, I was kinda bored went to the bathroom, and decided why not use some to get me through the day, did one line, felt like a new man, started talking to people, was happy working even though tired... you can imagine how it went down, started using to work to socialize and shit.

Fast-forward a few months I decided to use steroids, in hopes it would shift my focus awway from coke, I loved the roids, gained a lot of muscle, strength... but it made me a bit impatient and angry at people.. I was obcessed about getting girls, and this girls I was putting alot of effort into ignored me, and I just lost it broke some shit at home.. and went back to doing cocaine my mom caught me doing some lines, i didn't even care like it was not a big deal.

My mom wanted me to seek treatment in a facility to get clean, at first I thought thats not the case... but then one day I was confused, and went for a visit at this psychiatric ward with my family, and accepted their decision.

It's known to be a psychiatric hospital, but they have drug addiction treatment aswell, what I don't undestand is why they give heavy doses of antipsychotics in the first weeks, like risperdone, haldol IM, quetiapine, Chlorpromazine, Levomepromazine some mood stabilizers too which turned me into a zombie, had some Tardive dyskinesia, could barely eat as my jaw was unresponsive, and they give it to all pacients, for the entire treatment.

I was even strapped to the bed once, because I got irritated by the nurses and staff, they contain you and inject some haldol and Promethazine.

Even after you're released from the hospital they give the drugs to you, but what I don't get is why give this drugs, what relation do they have with cocaine addiction.

I think I developed gyno cause of the prolactin rise, and after I got out I developed premature ejacualtion (could go for hours on end before), and im depressed too, and i tried some coke and I dont euphoria from it anymore, also i believe that it has some relation to the drugs they gave me. MInd you Im not taking them anymore.

I never heard of rehab centers giving these drugs to apparently treat some addiction decease.

What are you guys opnions on this? could you shed some light on my situation I'm really confused and tired right now

Hi Jawbrah- I've read your post a few times over and don't think I totally follow. Were you staying inpatient in this hospital at some point? Did they give you a mental health diagnosis aside from addiction? Are you saying that psychiatric hospital gives out antipsychotic medications to all addiction patients? How long have you been being treated at this hospital and what medications are you currently taking? Sorry for all the questions, I just trying to understand better.

I've never heard of people being prescribed antipsychotics just for addiction. I have heard of them being used in cases of drug induced psychosis, or for a specific diagnosis such as schizophrenia. I do know that some people will get a prescription for quetiapine for sleep, but thatsnusually after other options have been tried.

How are you feeling?

The only thing I can think of is because many people who abuse street drugs (like coke, crack, molly, etc) have underlying (possibly undiagnosed & untreated) psychiatric issues. Often, the reason they begin using/abusing those other drugs in the first place is because they are self medicating and trying to get themselves to a state of normalcy they wouldn't otherwise feel.

I too abused cocaine, wound up in a mental hospital and was also prescribed quetiapine. But through my treatment I was diagnosed bipolar and major depressive. Just to clarify - it wasn't the coke that got me into the hospital. It was cutting and suicide attempts, but when they screened me they found the cocaine and alcohol and realized I'd been self medicating.

I hope this helps.

Hi Jawbrah- I've read your post a few times over and don't think I totally follow. Were you staying inpatient in this hospital at some point? Did they give you a mental health diagnosis aside from addiction? Are you saying that psychiatric hospital gives out antipsychotic medications to all addiction patients? How long have you been being treated at this hospital and what medications are you currently taking? Sorry for all the questions, I just trying to understand better. I've never heard of people being prescribed antipsychotics just for addiction. I have heard of them being used in cases of drug induced psychosis, or for a specific diagnosis such as schizophrenia. I do know that some people will get a prescription for quetiapine for sleep, but thatsnusually after other options have been tried.How are you feeling?
Hey,Sorry for taking so long to reply - I'm not sure what "staying inpacient" means, but I was pretty much against my will there. Not that I know of, yes they give them to all patients, my dosages were pretty high, because I was rebelling against them. I was there for 45 days, right now none - no problem at least you care.Yeah me too I was pretty confused with this whole situation. As of right now, I'm getting better - but it took more than a year for that to happen after I was release from the clinic, I felt slowlly into a deep state of depression, even doing coke wasn't good or euphoric anymore, so i gave up on that - so you can't say it was because of cocaine. But now I'm beggining to regain the novelty again.I don't know hoe to fotmat the text,

Hey, jawbrah, I'm glad things are improving! I think what they gave you sounds ridiculous and no doubt it has taken you this long to recover from the effects. There really is nothing better than healthy living (good food, regular exercise and sleep) to counteract the lasting effects of the antipsychotics. Keep pointing your life in the direction you want it to go and treat it all like an amusing and interesting process of exploration--because in the end, that is what it is.:)

I recommend you keep some of the antipsychotics at home with you in case you start using stimulants again. These can be a lifesaver if you are feeling bad from too much street drugs.

There as a study here in Finland about aripiprazole being used to treat cocaine addicted individuals and it actually wen't quite well. I'll dig some info about it as the study was taken the next city where I am from.

If I remember right they both target same areas in brain.

It's hard to find good, modern up to date substance use and mental health treatment in the states. Really hard sometimes, and the frustrating thing is that it's out there, just waiting to be taken advantage of.

It's hard to find good, modern up to date substance use and mental health treatment in the states. Really hard sometimes, and the frustrating thing is that it's out there, just waiting to be taken advantage of.

I'm not from the states, I'm in Brazil. Care to elaborate?

Ah, well, in some countries there is more of a public health and medicine oriented climate when it comes to how they deal socially with substance use/addiction/etc. In the US, where the War on Drugs has shaped our drug policy and prohibition before, we take a much more confrontational, effectively moralistic approach to how we handle substance use on a cultural level. It's more complicated than that, because it does depend on what drugs we are talking about (alcohol versus opioids for instance), but that is the gist of it. It's our Puritanical roots I'm afraid. Things have been changing, but it's slow going.

Sorry, I apologize for lumping you in with the rest of the traffic BL gets. What is drug treatment like on a social level in Brazil?

Ah, well, in some countries there is more of a public health and medicine oriented climate when it comes to how they deal socially with substance use/addiction/etc. In the US, where the War on Drugs has shaped our drug policy and prohibition before, we take a much more confrontational, effectively moralistic approach to how we handle substance use on a cultural level. It's more complicated than that, because it does depend on what drugs we are talking about (alcohol versus opioids for instance), but that is the gist of it. It's our Puritanical roots I'm afraid. Things have been changing, but it's slow going.

Sorry, I apologize for lumping you in with the rest of the traffic BL gets. What is drug treatment like on a social level in Brazil?

Sorry for the late reply, my keyboard won't work in the reply box.

Let me see if I understood your question..... I mean real "rehab facilities" are only for the rich, i guess the same occurs in the us, right?

Where I was there were a lotta people that were from the streets, no rich people there, for them its better there than the streets.

The psychologists are absolute garbage, I won't even get into that because it makes me rage.

Well, yes and no. Rehabs in the US are generally very expensive affairs, but there are some treatment centers that take public insurance that are reasonably good. Like you said, it's better than the streets or prisons, but the staff and programs often leave a lot to be desired. Very difference from any other form of modern medicine for sure. And it definitely leaves me in a rage too sometimes.