• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

First Car, Need Advice

i imagine used is the way to go more often than not, but a four-year-old car is not good as new. it's easier to go by miles/kilometers, but, at four years, on average, the best of the car's life is behind it (as in best drive, lowest probability of needing repairs) and it only has about 2/3rds of its total life left before it's worth parts or whatever you can write it off at. there's a reason cars rapidly lose value.

and you're not often going to be covered by a factory warranty much past four years out.

relevant reading: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm

the average model in our study costs almost twice as much to own the first year as it does the second year.
if you can afford it, lightly used.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the cost of insurance! Full coverage on a new car is going to be WAYYYYY more expensive than liability only or even full coverage on an older car. People always forget about this part! Can take your $250/month car payment to $400+ real easy.

I agree with going used. Your car loses SO much value the minute you drive it off the lot. If you do go the used route, take it to a third party mechanic you trust - do NOT trust the dealership/seller and their 'maintenance' records. I have had more friends than I care to admit trust these types of things and three weeks later they are replacing brakes/radiator/etc...

Most people who trade in their new cars do so after 3-4 years because thats about when maintenance costs begin--tires and brakes for starters. Most of those people are also "hard drivers". Sure you can find a cheap car. But youre going to be buying a set of tires and brakes in the next year or two guaranteed. And you never know how they treated the car.

Honda Civics and Honda Accords both have great reputations as being reliable, and nearly guaranteed to last 300k or greater, if maintained properly.

Whatever you get, have someone go over it, especially if you are buying a vehicle from a private party. Areas to check include oil and transmission fluid, for metal flakes (this is for a third party mechanic), for burnt smell and scummy oil, basically all your fluids, balljoints, electronics, etc.

A professional will know the key points.

Last edited:
Unless you want a truck, I don't see much point. And even then, there are lots of other options. It all depends what the OP wants though.

Why just the simple "buy a Ford" response? Other than the fact you like Fords or something.

I think the Honda or Toyota sedan route is your best option since you don't seem to care what the car is like, other than getting you from a>b without any issues. Hondas/Toyotas are often ugly AF but they're very reliable as others have said. Avoid their early 2000s models, though I doubt with 15k that you'd be looking for anything older than a 2010.

But yeah like some others who didn't read the OP at all said, you could get some damn cool sports cars with 15k. I'm just drooling at the thought of a mid 2000s WRX right now... Jelly. Or a late 90s Cobra, or an early 2000s Miata, or hell, you could probably import a non-GTR variant of a skyline now since most of the R32 years have become 'antiques' and seem to go for 10-15k. But they're usually manual and you'd sit on the right side of the car, I imagine it's very confusing. Not too mention any repairs would require you to import replacement parts. We can still dream though 8)

If you buy an American truck, they usually will be easier to work on, parts will be cheaper and they are very durable. Trucks of all kinds have come a long way. However, depending on where you live or brand, they can also be harder to source parts and work on. Do some research. If you live state side, a late model Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis. Consumer reports has said "If police departments and taxi companies cannot break them, neither can you". Those models are the same car basically, with the Mercury having more luxury items.

Check out Consumer Reports. They give great reviews. Watch some YouTube videos of cars and trucks also.

Last edited: