• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Combining two strong anti-histamine acting drugs?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I'm thinking, something like amoxapine or maprotiline, with mirtazapine?

Maprotiline in particular, with a H1 binding value of 1.7.

Combined with mirtazapines value of 1.6.

Would that be viable?
A combination that may be used often by doctors?

Does antihistamine action make one photosensitive?
i.e. get sunburned easily??

What are your goals with this? I tend to desire meds that have less binding to H1. Do you hve troubles sleeping?
I dont see any benefit combining anti histamine drugs.

Well, the goal is not to raise the histamine blockade, but rather implicate noradrenaline reuptake with as little effect as possible on SERT, and as it happens, the drugs that do this also seem to have strong H1 receptor affinity also.

I guess related to this question, I also see that there is an antagonism/reverse agonism effect on 5HT2c with several of these drugs also - which mritazapine also exhbiits.
Disinhibition of noradrenaline by this means seems to be a key role in mirtazapine effects, which I seem to have benefited from.
Would there be potential additional benefit from incorporating another drug that also using this mechanism of action?

Though curiously - olanzapine is also a potent inhibitor of 5HT2c - and I saw not benefit what so ever by way of that drug.
A strong anti-histamine also - but I found it in no way sedating.
Nor did it impact my appetite in any way.

Curious.... and baffling

Last edited:
Indeed, it seems binding is not a reliable way to determine how a drug will affect you. Since every brain is different, a drug may bind to a receptor less strongly than another, depending on the individual.
That's why binding profiles for drugs are so different when two different studies test a drug. One will say binding is weak, another will say binding is strong. The only way to get reliable binding data is via multiple studies & pick out the average, i think.