Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(MET/35 mg) - First Time - A Very Noteworthy Analogue

Kaleida

Bluelight Crew
This was my first experience with MET. I had been looking forward to this experience for a long time, long before I knew that I would actually get to have it any time soon, due to how much I had truly loved my first experience with MiPT. Since MET is the only structural step between MiPT and DMT, I figured that there had to be something special going on with it, and that if nothing else it should at least be quite interesting. Based on the way this one experience has gone so far, it seems like this may have been a pretty solid deduction.

I had actually been considering trying 4-HO-McPT on this day given that I am still not aware of there being any information available on it, but unfortunately the day arrived without me having access to any cannabis, a less than common situation for me which I consider kind of a deal breaker when it comes to trying a new 4-substituted tryptamine. Since I knew I would have another chance to that some day soon anyway, I decided to instead turn to MET due to the fact that I have in the past actually found that DMT is one of the few psychedelics I often enjoy more without cannabis, and I opted to go for 35 mg smoked because I wanted to try to get the strongest trip I could while still having a fairly introductory dose.

My previous experience with psychedelics includes DMT, MiPT, DiPT, DALT, Psilocybe cubensis, 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-DET, 4-HO-MPT, 4-HO-EPT, 4-HO-DPT, 4-HO-MiPT, 4-HO-DiPT, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-AcO-MET, 4-AcO-DET, 4-AcO-DALT, 5-HO-DMT, 5-MeO-MiPT, 5-MeO-DALT, Ipomoea tricolor, Argyreia nervosa, LSD, ETH-LAD, 2C-B, 2C-I, DOC, and MDMA. My most recent trip before this was exactly two weeks before this on 40 mg of 4-HO-EPT.

T-0:10 - I started preparing my bowl after making sure I had some cereal in me, taking a bath, and going to the bathroom to make sure that I would be as comfortable as possible at the beginning of the experience. I weighed out the MET and layered it into a finely ground bowl of Calea zacatechichi, the dream herb, which on its own would not provide me with more than a very mild and general relaxation with this amount. My plan was to smoke it all relatively quickly in a bong without water in it, then lie back and let it overtake me.

T+0:00 - I began smoking the bowl, and along with it 35 mg of MET. I had been warned beforehand that the taste of MET might be harsh and unpleasant, but as far as I could tell the indole flavor I could detect was no worse than DMT, and actually seemed slightly pleasant in an odd way. What was no pleasant, however, was the taste of the dream herb, which was far worse than I had remembered, blended with this chemical flavor and then shoved into my lungs at full force without any water to filter out the hit, another factor I had forgotten to consider when deciding to use this herb as a base to begin with. Ultimately I was still able to get the full bowl down over a minute or two, but it was difficult.... I definitely will not use this exact method again, I will use something much tastier and possibly still put water in the bong when I smoke it again in the future.

As I was taking my hits and holding them in as long as possible, the first thing I noticed was that my hands were starting to drip with sweat. I sweat a lot even sober and this apparently runs in my family, so many different types of psychoactives can bring this out even more strongly, but DMT does so particularly strongly and so this seemed quite normal for MET as well. There was also sort of a feeling of quickly rising anticipation accompanying it, again very much like how I feel after smoking DMT. I wasn't getting quite the rapid onset of open eye visual effects that I am used to getting with DMT, but I could absolutely tell that my perception of the space around me was being subtly but powerfully altered in a way similar to coming up on DMT but more slowly, or like a large dose of mushrooms but more quickly, so I decided it was time to go deeper. I finished off the bowl, but the bong aside, and leaned back in my bed with my eyes closed.

This was without question the most hallucinogenically impressive aspect of the experience, and really the only part that significantly focused on that at all. The very first thing I saw upon closing my eyes was a whirlwind of intense visuals developing in the space in front of me, some of the most intense I've honestly ever seen on any research chemical, and noticeably with a more "classic" feeling to them than the majority of similarly strong visuals I've seen on other substances. Most significantly the organization of visual effects I was seeing reminded me of DMT, but the colors involved in the many layers of the highly complex, constantly moving, transforming, and interlocking patterns did give it a slightly more digital feeling along the lines of what can be felt from 4-HO-MET, whereas the more structured imagery I was seeing consisted largely of detailed, turning faces that had both a visual design and an emotional feeling that reminded me very much of my experiences with higher doses of mushrooms. This was about as deep as this particular trip got, it never pushed further into any sort of hyperspatial designs or anything like that, but it should be noted that it absolutely felt like it should be able to at a higher dose.... The hallucinations were just so similar to DMT overall that it's hard to imagine them not being able to do at least something like that.

T+0:08 - This is around when I was starting to notice that the intensity was leveling out and the visuals were becoming slightly less rather than slightly more intense with each passing second. I opened my eyes and noticed that there still wasn't much going on other than a subtly altered sense of perspective, sort of like the air was more colorful but not in an in your face way if that makes sense, but that wasn't really the main thing on my mind at that moment. I was starting to actually feel like I might have to puke a little bit, and though I felt as though this might have been directly brought out by the nasty dream herb flavor smoked so quickly and so much without water, but I think it's worth noting as well that the way the sensation actually felt specifically to me was exactly the same thing that I have felt on both MiPT and DiPT when taken orally: it was not actually that I felt nauseous in the way that I have on many chemicals before which have all failed to make me vomit, but rather I suddenly just had a strong and undeniable urge that I needed to puke and knew that I needed to do it now or just be pointlessly uncomfortable from that point on, so I got up to do it. Unlike the full force of this effect from those oral trips though, I was only able to do a couple dry heaves and then to get a very small amount of my breakfast up, but thankfully this was enough to make this feeling pretty much pass. In the end, my suspicion again is that this might not be something to worry about too much with smoked MET just like it isn't much with smoked DMT, but just that that nasty bowl was able to bring this effect out since it is commonly accessed by this family of chemicals in general through the oral route.

T+0:11 - I am feeling better now, and the trip also feels a bit less intense now, but I'm definitely still out there. I notice quite a bit of time dilation as I go through full thoughts about the experience and return to check the time on my phone only to notice that less than a minute has gone by. The closed eye visuals seem to have mostly passed their intense DMT-like phase at this point, but the world with eyes open still seems a bit more unreal and colorful though, and aside from still having a slightly urpy stomach I am starting to enjoy this state a bit more than just being impressed with the intensity as I was before.

T+0:14 - At this point I started a feeling a bit more of the classic psychedelic euphoria kick in, starting with my legs as it often does. It felt pretty nice even from the get go, but it was slow to replace the feeling of general heaviness that I had had before. For these first few minutes of it I spent it just stretching around in bed, which was quite an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

T+0:18 - Once again I felt a drop in the physical feelings and an increase in the euphoric intensity, and I was now starting to get to a point where the "hardest" part of the trip felt pretty much completely over and I was ready for the pure fun. I decided to put on some Shpongle to get myself in the mood, and this brought with it quite a bit of energy as well as my legs started tapping and my arms started waving despite still feeling heavy enough to want to stay lying down a bit longer. However, a few more minutes after that I finally felt light enough to go for it, so I jumped up and started dancing around the room to the music. This part was a lot of fun, and it reminded me quite a bit of 4-HO-MET but minus all the obvious psychedelic effects, since on this MET by this point I honestly seemed to barely even be tripping at all, but the energy levels and styles between the two are quite similar.

T+0:26 - I'm still feeling a little blown away by the fullness and intensity of the experience, but aside from that I now seem to be in a totally easygoing place, with just a great buzz and a desire to move and shake. I switched the music to some EDM that was a bit more jazzy and fun to jump around to, and I did that for about another ten minutes before getting a little tired of the faster movements, as this was still early in the morning as well.

T+0:41 - I have put on some Electric Light Orchestra now and I am starting to lose some energy compared to before, but I'm still smiling and feeling good, verging on great. Over the next twenty minutes or so I continued listening to some of their songs, and my energy level continued to drop until I was basically just walking around a bit, bobbing my head to the music, and thinking about life. This was honestly not too different from the kind of thinking I do often in my free time anyway, but it's worth noting that I did feel extra stimulated to consider things more deeply, and I just enjoyed the general psychedelic vibe of it all while getting lost in those thoughts.

T+1:02 - At this point I felt that I was done moving, so I collapsed back on my bed a bit to just relax and enjoy the nice afterglow buzz that I still had going strong. A few minutes later I decided I still had one more in me though, so I put on Great Society's White Rabbit (Grace Slick's first band if you don't know) and made the most of it. It was great fun, but after it I truly was done, I had no more dance left in me for now.

T+1:10 - I wrapped up things and left to do some errands, not noticing any difference with my perception of the outside world or ability to drive, and not feeling any lingering high other than just a feeling of positivity from that point on.

Later on in the day I did manage to smoke some cannabis and ended up getting a worse headache than I normally do on it, and this is actually something I've experienced after smoking DMT before too, so I ended up taking 5 mg of hydrocodone and a bit later 350 mg of carisoprodol. The latter was admittedly mostly an impulse after the first pill started kicking in and I felt the desire to increase my high a bit further, but I did actually still have a bit of a headache after the hydrocodone too and the carisoprodol completely effectively got rid of the rest of it, so in retrospect I really don't regret the decision at all.

Anyway, that brings to an end my first experience with MET. I would have to say that it lived up to my hopes pretty well, and in the end was actually a good bit more intriguing even that I was even really expecting. Perhaps most significantly, it was not only definitely the most DMT-like research chemical I have ever experienced, but its less DMT-like qualities were also still similar in strength to my experiences on 4-HO-DMT via mushrooms, giving it an overall sense of depth and fullness that very few of these synthetic psychedelic derivatives have been able to compete with. Even the remaining the effects such as some of the geometry was most similar to 4-HO-MET, which for me has been one of the deepest of the synthetics in this way too, but the MET was even more complex in this way, so yeah, it really was just quite an impressive convergence of many different psychedelic effects, and though this trip was still ultimately fairly surface-level, I felt that it showed great promise for what may be uncovered by future excursions.

Finally, before I wrap this up, I did just want to make a quick observation about the relationship between MET and MiPT as well, and how it relates to my experiences with a similar relationship between 4-HO-MET and 4-HO-MiPT. Specifically, something that I have found is that even though 4-HO-MiPT does have certain similarities specifically with other 4-susbtituted tryptamines with 4-carbon tails (like 4-HO-DET and 4-HO-MPT), particularly at higher doses, I also find it to have quite a few significant effect overlaps with 4-HO-MET that the others lack, and they're apparent even at lower doses. While I of course cannot do anything more than speculate as to why this may be, I have wondered in the back of my mind for some time if it might be related to the fact that even though 4-HO-MiPT has the bulk of the other 4-carbon tryptamines, its actual shape makes it seem likely that in many places it actually might bind more like 4-HO-MET, given that the isopropyl and ethyl groups have the same length away from the nitrogen tail and have directly comparable default conformations in 3D space. So, I had been wondering if a similar relationship might turn out to be true with MET and MiPT as well, and though I do not yet have experience with MPT or DET to fairly make the same kind of comparison to, I have to say that this experience so far makes me feel like this may very well be the case. It seemed to me in the moment as though this could possibly explain part of why 4-HO-MiPT doesn't really do it for me compared to many other tryptamines, as I find 4-HO-MET beautiful but honestly somewhat lacking in depth as well, but also why MiPT then conversely has turned out to be one of my favorites, because it has a sense of extremely DMT-like and mushroom-like depth that nearly nothing else quite touches upon, but which again was very present in this MET trip too. In fact, when I consider just how much MET was truly like DMT in almost every way, it actually seems to make MiPT in general make a lot more sense to me, since I would then expect that isopropyl to at least sometimes allow it to bind similarly to MET, or in other words just like the other most DMT-like research chemical I've tried. Anyway, regardless of just how accurate or not any of these thoughts may be, they definitely have got me even more excited than I already was to continue exploring with these fascinating molecules in the future.

Alright, I suppose I will call it a night there for now. Stay safe my friends, and may your all psychedelic travels be as beautiful and fulfilling as possible!

substancecode_met
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_firsttime
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled
exptype_positive
exptype_glowing

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this, great report as always. :)

Your descriptions of the initial visuals remind me so much of the first time I tried 4-HO-MET, which I wrote a TR on that's on Erowid. I am wondering why you didn't try it orally? Is it because it's been confirmed that MET doesn't work well orally, ie, is broken down too quickly by MAO a la DMT? Because MiPT works fine orally, as does DiPT.

I sweat a lot too, even sober, it's pretty annoying huh?? :)

Thank you very much, and no problem as usual! :) I wish I had edited it a little bit, I can see now those downers were making me let a few more typos than normal slip lol. I also just strangely saw that I said I took a bath in the morning before the trip.... It was actually a shower. Odd.

I forget, have you used MET before? I know it was around in some of the earlier waves of research chemical tryptamines.

I just checked out that trip report, very nice. :) I assume you're talking about this part?: "Very good closed-eye visuals indeed. Bright colors, very complex designs. I feel like I should maybe start painting because they're so beautiful. All the colors of the rainbow in spiralling, fractal patterns which changed at all times. It reminds me of the spiral fractal in MilkDrop (the visualization program for Winamp), the one that coils up into a spiral until it gets very tight, then uncoils and coils up in the opposite direction. All of the spaces in the top layer of the design are filled in with infinite recursive detail. It seemed to be a glimpse at some sort of world totally at random. Meaningless to me, but very complex. I do not want to open my eyes really, but I want to record this. I have a good feeling about this. I think I will paint shortly. Why can't I write, paint, close my eyes, and listen at the same time?!"

Yeah, 4-HO-MET is pretty amazing for me like that too, especially the first time.... I do find it to still be a bit lacking in depth over all, but the visual department is not an area it fails in, to put it lightly. Lots of colors, lots of form constants, lots of fractals, lots of cartoons.... It's the real deal. In comparison, I would say that this MET experience for me was less cartoony for the same level of trip, it was much more on the level of mushrooms for me in that way whereas 4-HO-MET reminds me somewhat of LSD, but all the geometric stuff was there in spades, and even stronger and more classical feeling than I've ever gotten on 4-HO-MET. I would go as far as to say that 4-HO-MET is very DMT-like, but MET is like practically DMT-adjacent. When those visuals first hit it reminded me what it's like to be on DMT in a way that only real DMT has before. Notably, MiPT's geometry however feels a bit more like 4-HO-MET's does in a similar kind of way, but the MiPT was still much more complex overall and closer to also being DMT-adjacent, but just a bit more sideways than MET still.

There are a few reasons I decided not to dose it orally this time. One of them is what you said, just that it's recognized to be lower potency this way, though that alone hasn't stopped me with other psychedelics. Another thing I was considering though was that 50 mg of MiPT and DiPT each already made me puke hard, so I was a bit worried about what my happen if I ate like 100 mg of this stuff for instance. Of course, I still didn't escape the puking... but it wasn't too bad this way. Beyond that though, I also just thought that it seemed like it might make for a fun experience to smoke it since the structure is so similar to DMT, which I would say panned out, and I just have a good amount to work with in many ways. I've just always been interested in smoking other base tryptamines too to try to have a more heavily DMT-like experience, and probably would have already tried MiPT like that too if I'd had enough to spare before now. I'll probably give that a shot pretty soon actually. :D

And alright, someone who understands!! It's pretty rare that that happens. Yeah, it drives me crazy, people don't understand how much can be thrown off by constantly sweaty palms. @_@ And I can't tell you how many times I've passed a video game controller to someone without remembering to wipe it off just to have them look down amazed to see it looking like someone dumped a bucket of water on it and had to explain why lol. Though when I was younger and my friends recognized this sometimes I would use it to bait them while we were all switching turns hehe. You gotta make the most of things, you know? X)

Thanks for the report. I like how you denote the exact timing of the trip as it unfolds; do you take a lot of notes as you trip?

I'm lucky enough to sweat less than the average bear, although certain chemicals like 1P-LSD make me quite sweaty.

You're very welcome! Oh yeah, the time stamps are exact based on my notes, with few exceptions per report I include pretty much every note I take. These are probably too spread out for most people to notice, but every single report I've written here so far has been for a substance I've taken four or fewer times. I consider myself to be in an experimental phase with most of my research chemicals still, and I'm still working my way up slowly, or at least what I consider slowly for my own preferences. For this reason I have been taking the opportunity to write as many notes about my trips as possible, both for my own personal reference, and for the sake of others in that way with the more novel chemicals as well, and also just because most of the trips are just still currently at a level of intensity where I tend not to lose track of time or reality, and where I'm able to take a note and go back and pick things up where they left off easily. Once I've gotten a satisfying amount of information written down and experience with each of these molecules, I intend to start shifting my trips more towards just being totally engaged in the experience from start to finish, and just writing (probably more poetically the higher the doses get) in retrospect about everything I can recall happening. I've actually been planning this for a good while and have been building my collection, with a couple exceptions for those with more limited availability, based on how much I either have liked or think I might like them, in units of roughly 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 doses. That way I'll still be able to write a good amount about any chemical I try, but the more I like them the more I'll get in, and by the end of the really good ones I'll have reports spanning all the way from those exact notes at low doses to the most timeless, ineffable, and otherwordly experiences at higher ones. :)

Haha, you should consider yourself very lucky then. :p It really seeps into more areas of life than you'd think.... I remember even as a kid for instance collecting Pokémon cards and having their edges be all crinkled up and destroyed in a couple days just because of how wet my hands were while holding them. As I got older I noticed the same was true in school, I had to constantly have some other paper or binder over whatever I was writing on or the paper would be all splotchy and possibly tear or mess up ink or lead, it was bad. I can totally understand why 1P-LSD would get you up there though, LSD and also ETH-LAD now have both given me a very distinct sweating effect that I haven't gotten with other molecules, especially in the later phases of the trip. Oddly though I actually kind of like that, I use it as an excuse to take awesome showers or go swimming lol.

These are probably too spread out for most people to notice, but every single report I've written here so far has been for a substance I've taken four or fewer times. I consider myself to be in an experimental phase with most of my research chemicals still, and I'm still working my way up slowly, or at least what I consider slowly for my own preferences. For this reason I have been taking the opportunity to write as many notes about my trips as possible, both for my own personal reference, and for the sake of others in that way with the more novel chemicals as well, and also just because most of the trips are just still currently at a level of intensity where I tend not to lose track of time or reality, and where I'm able to take a note and go back and pick things up where they left off easily. Once I've gotten a satisfying amount of information written down and experience with each of these molecules, I intend to start shifting my trips more towards just being totally engaged in the experience from start to finish, and just writing (probably more poetically the higher the doses get) in retrospect about everything I can recall happening.

This has been exactly my path in writing trip reports. My early trips with things involved taking notes regularly, and a constant self-analysis of what I was experiencing. The reports ended up being a series of time stamps with stuff filled in for the most part, or sometimes literally my notes and then a composed version afterwards. But nowadays I generally don't take notes at all and when it strikes me to write about an experience, I recall it all from memory and write it as a story, trying to use language to be as evocative as possible. However, I tried a few things for the first time recently (DOPr, DOET, MEM) and I did those ones in the note-taking style, because I wanted to really focus on the specific effects and be able to report on them.

That's awesome, I'm glad to know I'm on a good path then. :D Maybe I picked it up subconsciously from reading all those reports, haha.

When I have a trip that I feel I want to write a report about, I will often take down as many brief notes as possible right after the trip, or even just write it right after. Sometimes that doesn't happen, for example the report I'm almost done with is on a trip that happened like 14 months ago. I never took any notes but it's stuck in my mind. What I did was, when I started wanting to write it, I would think back on the trip and take as many brief statements I could think of sa notes, as little triggers into aspects I remembered. I had several sessions of this where I would remember more stuff each time. Then I arranged those notes in roughly chronological fashion and used them to actually write full descriptions of each part. This way I was able to take a complex experience from quite some time ago and actually write it with quite a lot of detail and make sure it was ordered properly, rather than thrown together out of a single session of trying to remember it. That's how I had to do my ibogaine reports, and it's actually the first time I used that technique. I spent about 3 weeks compiling notes and writing parts based on those notes. I probably spent around 60 hours on it.

Still looking forward to reading that report. ;) That's cool though, that all actually makes quite a lot of sense to me.... It sounds like just a bit more complex version of a technique I used to first start dramatically improving my dream call when I was getting into lucid dreaming. I happen to think that taking so many notes during trips and doing so much self-analyzing has helped me in that way with this too, as it seems like now I really don't need to take notes to remember my trip in full detail at least when it's happened recently, and I recall that not being the case at all with some of my earlier trips, they were very dreamy and certain things would just be very hazy. It's awesome to see all the interrelationships since they should logically exist anyway, and I'll definitely keep that in mind even more when writing for my future experiences as well. :)

Yeah same for me actually, when I started tripping I would sit there and take notes to the detriment of being fully engrossed in the trip (although my early trips were so novel that I was still very engrossed in them despite this - but I sometimes wonder where I could have gone with some of them if I hadn't spent the time sitting in front of my computer typing). The process of taking notes and self-reflecting during the moments of the experience has helped me be better able to remember details without note-taking. For example, with the trip I am writing about (and almost done!), I didn't take a single note during it or for some time after. Yet now as I think back to it I remember a whole lot. Same with my ibogaine flood dose... I didn't take notes (nor could I have) but my recall of it was extremely vivid. Actually ever since then my memory has been better. Ibogaine really rapidly catalyzed a tremendous amount of change in me. So much more than any other experience has.

Awesome perspective once again, thanks. :) Yeah, you've got a pretty impressive recall of that trip for not taking notes, and ditto with the ibogaine! I'm very happy that my psychedelic journey seems to unfolding in a productive and efficient way then, it's always nice to have some reassurance that I'm on a good course. :D

So, I just wanted to add a little bit more about the MET as well and my week following the trip.... There seems to be a pretty nice afterglow with this one for sure, I've been feeling very positive the last few days and have not really felt like I was "missing" anything in my general mood state, for instance my erotic imagination was not at any time reduced but I felt no particular desire to masturbate and still don't really compared to how I am usually, I am just satisfied already. I did however do so yesterday anyway and also found it a bit more euphoric than normal.

On the flip side, I have found the MET itself to be oddly moreish. Much more so than I am used to with most psychedelics, I've been finding myself wanting to smoke it again almost immediately after the first time, though I wonder if part of this is due to my mind relating it to DMT, which I know I can smoke that often. I am not sure if MET will be as resistant to tolerance in me, but I would be interested in finding out one of these days. I also suspect that some of this may come out of the fact that it did feel deep in a way like DMT but was even less jarring, since it was basically the same kind of feeling but a little slower and smoother, and whereas DMT already has basically no body load for me, I'm thinking MET honestly had even less, since I didn't even notice the same mild heart rate increase I get from DMT. The more I think about it, the more it seems like it actually may have been the physically lightest psychedelic I've taken, minus the purge which really wasn't even uncomfortable and again I think was brought out but something else, and aside from that it was so light that it really didn't even occur to me to consider its body load until a few days later. That, along with the ease of tripping for comparatively intense effects, definitely says something to me.

Lastly, I've been reading through the Big & Dandy thread, and I am now absolutely convinced that a breakthrough is waiting for me with an appropriately high dose of this molecule... so stay tuned for more of that as it unfolds. :)