Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(4-HO-EPT / 22 mg) - First Time - Breath is the Conductor of the Heart

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Immediately after the peak of the trip began to subside, I reported in the Psychedelic Drugs subforum that I was quite disappointed in the result. But it was only because I so thoroughly enjoyed what little 4-HO-EPT revealed of itself at 22 mg that I was sorry I couldn't see more! In retrospect it was an interesting and enjoyable evening regardless, and I feel a bit silly for complaining.

As per my personal protocol, I approached this relatively unknown substance with the utmost caution, beginning with the most minuscule fleck of powder that I could physically transfer from the bag to my upper gum, the day prior. After a couple hours, I took another unmeasured bit that was probably in the hundreds of micrograms.

None of this was eventful, so the following evening, I sniffed a four milligram bump. When that began to result in an enticing little buzz, I swallowed a capsule of 18 milligrams, at 8:30 P.M.

Over the following hour, I was somewhat startled to find that, rather than the hallmark psychedelic visual phenomena, sensory enhancement, and so forth, 4-HO-EPT began to hone my attention exclusively on my breath. It started with a disconcerting sense of breathlessness. I felt that, no matter how deeply I filled my chest with air, I couldn't get enough. I wanted to keep inhaling and inhaling until I sucked up the whole atmosphere. My lungs were too small, the air was too thin!

I was forced to resign myself to a sense of suffocation. Naturally, this was initially disturbing. But, as there was no catching my breath, it no longer appeared to run away from me, and the concept of breath dissolved entirely. When this occurred, of course rather than suffocate, at once my breath fell into a rhythm which seemed to come from a force entirely outside of me, as though my chest were a ship buoyed on the steady waves of the Atlantic. My breath calmed to the point of resembling a deep sleep; slow and shallow.

This had a dramatic effect on my body and mind. The tension and excitement surrounding an experiment with a novel tryptamine vanished, and my mood became serene, with a touch of melancholy. Psychedelic drugs almost always increase my heart rate, but when I put my finger on my pulse, it was certainly lower than baseline, although I didn't measure it precisely. I can't help but wonder if an EEG would have shown an increase in the theta or delta waves associated with sleep. I also wonder if one could say that it was really my ego, not my body, which was suffocating, and that controlled breathing was 4-HO-EPT's unique style of ego-dissolution?

In the days prior to the trip, I had been starting to seriously question my career choice, wondering whether I should jump ship and go back to school, which was giving me quite a lot of anxiety. In fact my primary intent going into this particular trip was to gain some perspective on the matter. But in this tranquil psychedelia, I became emotionally detached from those concerns. I felt confident that, no matter what I choose to do, I'll do it with passion. Wheresoever I go, I will go with all my heart, and that's all that matters. I wrote in my paper journal, "9:07 P.M. - What's the big deal?"

The afterglow was marked by a peppy euphoria, when I "awoke" from the trance-like peak. At this point I practiced my favorite psychedelic activity, which is to meditate on the dharma. This led to some very interesting thoughts, but I won't get into that right now, as it's not particularly relevant to 4-HO-EPT. Suffice to say, like most psychedelics, 4-HO-EPT was a lovely aid to meditation.

Although I was in high spirits, as I alluded in the beginning I was also bedeviled by curiosity. During the peak I had a continuous sense of teetering on the edge of some fantastic psychedelic dream world, which I could enter if only I had taken a higher dose. I smoked some DMT in an attempt to tip myself over the edge, which I regret. It's been awhile since I've tried to smoke a tryptamine, and I kind of botched it. I didn't end up breaking through; it just muddied up the delicate 4-HO-EPT afterglow, and made it all the more difficult to fall asleep.

Today, I feel very calm, and I retain the sense of emotional detachment from the problems that were bothering me before the trip. In fact, I feel a bit apathetic. Whether or not 4-HO-EPT proves itself capable of more drastic visionary effects, I'm really looking forward to experimenting further, and I am quite certain that it will find a place in my psychedelic toolbox.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_4hoept
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome report, thanks so much for writing it up. :) I felt that you captured the essence of 4-HO-EPT really well from what I've experienced on it so far. I really think it's one of the most unique molecules I've yet had the pleasure of tasting.

But yeah, the strangely light yet serious phase at the beginning, the meditative stage following it, the peppy afterglow after that, the lack of discomfort.... You really nailed it. It's cool to know that I'm not the only one who notices these so far consistent effects too. :) I really can't wait to see what more people will have to say about this one.

It's too bad about the DMT too, but I do think that would probably be a pretty intense combo when done right! I could see it interfering with the end of the 4-HO-EPT though too, that state is too relaxed for me to seem like it would really be able to fully survive that.

Anyway, can't wait to hear what you think of a fuller trip on it too!

It makes me super happy to see that somebody found my report relatable. :) Positive feedback is 100% of my inspiration to write trip reports. Also it's nice to see that I'm not off in my own weird little world, and that my reaction was reasonably typical (at least from what we know so far). :D

As to its uniqueness, I agree. I haven't tried 4-xO-DET yet, but from what I've read it's hard to imagine that 4-HO-EPT is just a halfway point between 4-HO-DET and 4-HO-DPT. There must be something more complex happening in the pharmacology of these tryptamines. 4-AcO-DPT has a bit of that silky, meditative quality, but this takes it a step further.

DMT + 4-HO-EPT does seem like it would be an awesome combo, but I think you would have to time it so the peaks overlapped, rather than smoking the DMT on the afterglow like I did.

Well, I'm glad for you then because you definitely did it. :D I did very much enjoy this report, and it was especially fun to read knowing that we are two of the only people who can truly understand it right now. Though, I should say that if you're trying to find evidence that you're not off in your own weird world, comparing yourself to me might not be the best way to do it, haha.

Oh yeah, I've tried 4-HO-DET and 4-AcO-DET, which for me are basically interchangeable, and they were definitely not quite like 4-HO-EPT. There were some similarities sure, but 4-HO-EPT is really more alike the other propyl tryptamines on either side for me. It is worth noting though that the DETs I also found to be extremely visionary, more so than most, but the visions they give me I think might actually be the most atypical of all the tryptamines I've ingested, being of similar strength but fairly different content from honestly most psychedelics I've taken period, and really I could probably say that about their geometric effects as well, even the effects of that kind I did get out of 4-HO-EPT felt more classical in nature. I do think there are certainly more complex structure-activity relationships going on, and some things probably stand out in ways that we simply couldn't just easily guess too, like it wouldn't surprise me for instance if the EPT base is the perfect fit for certain receptors and therefore going either more or less bulk will reduce activity by comparison, and the same with any other base, which ultimately allows for a far more complex and intricate picture than just your basic Y is between X and Z kind of setup, not that I don't think many of those kinds of comparisons can't be accurately made about these chemicals as well.

And yeah, I'd agree with that too, it'd be the peaks of those trips I'd really want to stack the most. That honestly seems like it could open up access to some of the deepest places I've really found among these psychedelics yet, a heavy blend of tryptamine qualities from both bases and 4-substitutions, high and low tail bulk, symmetrical and asymmetrical, highly visual and primarily visionary.... Seems like things sure could get wild fast. :)

can anyone here compare 4 ho ept to 4 ho dpt? i am looking for those 3d geometric visuals while still not having that ego shattering occurrence. I dont know if i should get a half gram of both and just see, or make the full dive on one or the other. can anyone attest to one being qualitatively "better" than the other? i know this is all subjective, but i like to hear what people think. i dont know too many people who have tried both of these out.. so maybe no one can even really answer my questions.. either way, any input on wither chem is appreciated! Awesome trip report by the way!

I wrote a little bit about the comparison of 4-HO-EPT and 4-HO-DPT in this post in the Small & Handy 4-HO-EPT Thread. So far, if I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be 4-HO-EPT for my personal preferences, but I wouldn't really want to have to pick only one either for just psychedelic use in general. You should also note that I so far haven't tripped overly hard on either of them, but I'm working my way up to it.