• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do Psychedelics Improve Psychic Abilities?

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I think yes. While I certainly do not claim to have superpowers as a result of any substance, as that's utterly absurd nor do I claim to have "superpowers" at all..... I feel all human beings have a certain innate level of psychic abilities, and in my experience psychedelic use may intensify these abilities. However, this is purely anecdotal. What are your thoughts on the idea? It may not be so much that any substance enhances the abilities on it's own as it makes one's mind become more aware of them, which thus ends up intensifying them. If there is any level of truth to this whatsoever, it's not that the substance "gives people powers" or anything..... just that maybe, just maybe they help to put the mind in a state that is more able to pick up on psychic input from senses other than the five known senses.

I don't even need to tell you what I think because you already know, and that should answer the question for everyone who can't read my mind.

Psychic powers are just senses and automatic processes you're not fully aware of. Psychedelics just enhance both of these and make you more aware of them.

... just that maybe, just maybe they help to put the mind in a state that is more able to pick up on psychic input from senses other than the five known senses.

Currently I think we have 21 senses apx in the physical category and somehow with thousands of years of very spiritual human beings we haven't been able to log one in the spiritual category.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/question242.htm

IME one or more senses seem subdued or fade out while others intensify, some may appear that never existed before.

I think that humans have more sensory abilities than we commonly think we do. I was reading an article a while ago about a guy who is blind, who has taught himself to get around with echolocation, by clicking his tongue and interpreting the echoes of the sounds. It works so well that he is able to go mountain biking using it despite being completely blind. He's teaching others the same techniques. He also talks about the sense where something is close, but not touching, and you can feel it somehow. I got curious and did some experiments, and you can indeed feel when an object is near, the same as you can feel when someone is staring at you. Being close to the wall FEELS different than the wall being some distance from you.

In college, I had a friend who was schizophrenic. He had a really, really intense energy and aura about him, and he was usually quite difficult to be around. There were many times where me and some friends would be hanging out in someone's dorm room with the door open, and people would regularly open the main doors to the wing and go in or out. But when our schizophrenic friend with the intense energy would open the door and come in, we'd all know it at the same time and either duck out of there or prepare ourselves to deal with him. It became an unspoken thing, you could just FEEL his energy even from down the hall, without any sort of sight confirmation that it was him. Additionally, I have experienced some extremely compelling moments of mental connection with friends and particularly with my ex-wife, where we'd just know what each other was thinking, begin a conversation verbally halfway through it, because we'd been having it mentally. That sort of thing. I really do think that we have more abilities to sense actual information than we typically give ourselves credit for these days. Of course, there is an explanation for these things, we just perhaps can't explain them yet. Maybe mirror neurons are a place to look. When someone is staring at you, you can almost feel a tingling, it can make the fine hairs on your neck raise. These are physical responses our bodies have, and I am pretty convinced there are similar physical responses/mechanisms which allow us a greater level of connection to each other than it may seem is possible most of the time. I'm sure anyone with any level of empathy has experienced being able to just know the emotions of others or feel them blasting into you. Animals do that all the time, it seems to me that they primarily communicate through emotional sensing and projection.

I think that psychedelics can make us more aware of these processes, as they tend to make us more aware of things that we normally ignore or do not consciously register. They can also lead to false positives, particularly if you're looking for some sort of experience.

I think that humans have more sensory abilities than we commonly think we do. I was reading an article a while ago about a guy who is blind, who has taught himself to get around with echolocation, by clicking his tongue and interpreting the echoes of the sounds. It works so well that he is able to go mountain biking using it despite being completely blind. He's teaching others the same techniques. He also talks about the sense where something is close, but not touching, and you can feel it somehow. I got curious and did some experiments, and you can indeed feel when an object is near, the same as you can feel when someone is staring at you. Being close to the wall FEELS different than the wall being some distance from you.

That's not really a new sense though. He still uses his hearing to approximate the distance to an object. Normal humans can do it to an extent too, but not to the same degree as someone who uses only that to "see" the world around them. It's true that many people who lack one sense, like sight, improve their other senses to compensate for that, and are able to achieve things normal people can't; but they're still using the senses all people have, just to a better extent.

Yes they do, but in a haphazard way. Normally the third eye opens naturally as the person engages in activities which send energy up the spine toward the occipital protuberance and into the brain. You can choose to stop at any time, rest, and try again. Psychedelics blast the third eye open but not in an integrated way. In the different centres of the body there are normal activity levels, deficiencies, and excesses. Psychedelics produce excess in the third eye, without doing the connective work to tie it to the other chakras. You also can't stop the process until the psychedelic experience is over, which means you have almost no control over what appears and whether or not you want to see it. You can alter the trip by changing your thought patterns but if what you're seeing is an externality like an entity, there's no way to close yourself down in order to stop the experience.

The other thing is, even if you're using psychs to explore psychic abilities, you have to do major grounding work and integration in between trips. If all you're doing is tripping over and over without any work in between, you're going to eventually have a psychotic break.

Third eye explorations are overrated. Psychic abilities are a manifestation on the spiritual path but aren't meant to be the end goal. If you have some talents then great, use them to gain better insight into the nature of reality. If you don't have those talents or it's not part of your path, then don't go seeking them. People who want psychic powers really don't know what they're asking for. A fully opened and realized third eye will change your life forever, and you can't put that geni back into the bottle. For the rest of your life you won't just be exposed to nice things, but dark things, and things about society that you can't unsee. On another level, psychic abilities for their own sake aren't meant to be their own playground and treating them as such will trap you in la la land where you won't be able to fulfill your life's mission. People who use psychs to develope psychic powers are usually extremely ungrounded and without care they can become useless to themselves. They become an endless distraction. Be warned.

And no, psychic abilities aren't part of the regular senses. The regular senses are in the dense physical body. The third eye and what it sees are beyond the 3D. Everything of course integrates into the physical body (like the pineal gland as the receiver for what the crown and third eye are doing), but there are non-physical levels. Opening the third eye can show you things you're not ready for.

Foreigner, that's a really poignant HR-centric perspective on the subject. This stuff is very real- as far as I can say from anecdotal evidence- and it is very possible to open doors that are better left closed, and some doors can't be closed so easily once opened. There is far too much complexity and subtlety to possibly comprehend the consequences of actions we take in realms we can't even sense very well. It is like a deaf person trying to make music. Sure, there is some ability to sense the vibrations in the body, but a small range of the full 10 octaves of human hearing is sensed through the body. That's how subtle energy works but with different levels of energy, and psychedelics can make it so like we can hear the full range for the first time, but it is hard to process at first because the brain doesn't have the circuitry to handle it. It must be built slowly over time, integrated, and much listening must be done to know what music really is, and its potential for so many applications.

don't get me started.....

btw, did y'all know that buddhism canonically accepts the existence of psychic powers? we call them 'iddhi'

The Divine Eye (Clairvoyance)- this power allows one to see beings in other realms as well as see the future
The Divine Ear (Clairaudience)
Travel by Mind-Made Body(Astral Travel)
Travel with the Physical Body (to other realms)
Telekinesis (Supernormal Locomotion)
Flying
The power of Transformation
The ability to replicate one's body
Penetration of others' minds (Thought Reading)
Passing through solid objects
Diving in and out of the earth as if through water
Walking on water
Touching the sun and the moon with one's fingers
Becoming invisible
Recollection of past lives (some would call this a power, some would call it true knowledge)

^One of my personal favorites was being able to wake up or fall asleep on command. 'Forget what they called it... 'saw it on a role playing website one time.

Guiley mentions eight iddhi powers:[5]

1)mastery over the body and nature
2)invincibility
3)invisibility
4)fleetness in running
5)ability to see the gods
6)control over spirits and demons
7)the ability to fly
8)preservation of youth
9)the ability to make certain pills

I clicked that link tantric, I like how the ninth power in the list of eight is the ability to make certain pills. Yeah, I have that power. It is well developed in me. :D

I completely agree that psychic powers shouldn't be ones primary drive. We're using them all the time without realizing it. Becoming hyper-focused on that to the exclusion of other drives, yeah, not something I see as useful. Foreigner says it very eloquently.

Yes they do, but in a haphazard way. Normally the third eye opens naturally as the person engages in activities which send energy up the spine toward the occipital protuberance and into the brain. You can choose to stop at any time, rest, and try again. Psychedelics blast the third eye open but not in an integrated way. In the different centres of the body there are normal activity levels, deficiencies, and excesses. Psychedelics produce excess in the third eye, without doing the connective work to tie it to the other chakras. You also can't stop the process until the psychedelic experience is over, which means you have almost no control over what appears and whether or not you want to see it. You can alter the trip by changing your thought patterns but if what you're seeing is an externality like an entity, there's no way to close yourself down in order to stop the experience.

The other thing is, even if you're using psychs to explore psychic abilities, you have to do major grounding work and integration in between trips. If all you're doing is tripping over and over without any work in between, you're going to eventually have a psychotic break.

Third eye explorations are overrated. Psychic abilities are a manifestation on the spiritual path but aren't meant to be the end goal. If you have some talents then great, use them to gain better insight into the nature of reality. If you don't have those talents or it's not part of your path, then don't go seeking them. People who want psychic powers really don't know what they're asking for. A fully opened and realized third eye will change your life forever, and you can't put that geni back into the bottle. For the rest of your life you won't just be exposed to nice things, but dark things, and things about society that you can't unsee. On another level, psychic abilities for their own sake aren't meant to be their own playground and treating them as such will trap you in la la land where you won't be able to fulfill your life's mission. People who use psychs to develope psychic powers are usually extremely ungrounded and without care they can become useless to themselves. They become an endless distraction. Be warned.

And no, psychic abilities aren't part of the regular senses. The regular senses are in the dense physical body. The third eye and what it sees are beyond the 3D. Everything of course integrates into the physical body (like the pineal gland as the receiver for what the crown and third eye are doing), but there are non-physical levels. Opening the third eye can show you things you're not ready for.

While I don't use any drug other than marijuana it has done exactly what you have indicated with the exception of not being able to control it.

I have no formal training, outside of Christianity, but had weed open all of my chakra, it did take a bit of time to learn how to open and close them. Tbh I had no idea what exactly was occurring. It has been about 6 months since the first one opened. Most of what I've seen or experienced is not as expected. Perhaps the most fundamental truth I have experienced is how simple things really are. Having a better basic understanding of both Buddhist and Hindu religions might have been a better place to start but I wasn't on a spiritual quest.

I had actually left all faith behind and was just getting old and grumpy when life changed. Now I'm on a spiritual journey, or I've stumbled upon senility and mistaken it for joy, peace and love.

I think yes. While I certainly do not claim to have superpowers as a result of any substance, as that's utterly absurd nor do I claim to have "superpowers" at all..... I feel all human beings have a certain innate level of psychic abilities, and in my experience psychedelic use may intensify these abilities. However, this is purely anecdotal. What are your thoughts on the idea? It may not be so much that any substance enhances the abilities on it's own as it makes one's mind become more aware of them, which thus ends up intensifying them. If there is any level of truth to this whatsoever, it's not that the substance "gives people powers" or anything..... just that maybe, just maybe they help to put the mind in a state that is more able to pick up on psychic input from senses other than the five known senses.

Yes, psychedelics opens up and activates your Pineal gland (the third eye) and gives you a temporary glimpse into the other dimensions and spacial densities that exist in the same space continuum that we do.

But be careful, one acid trip gone wrong and your Pineal gland could be stuck at operating at 100% forever. All those stories of people that didn't come back from an acid trip. That is what happened to them, now they see all the creatures and spirits and entities and other dimensional energy life forms the whole time. Fuck knows I don't want that.

If you are up for it, do it naturally or take enough psychedelics for long enough and you will end up seeing and be able to communicate with those other-worldly beings too.

Clairvoyance, telekinesis, telepathy etc. can also be accessed and opened up the same way.