Suffering from crippling social anxiety, Doc won't prescribe me anything

satanismylord

Greenlighter
Hello my name is michael, i been suffering from crippling anxiety since highschool and its only gotten worse since , i'm at the stage in my life where i will try and work from home and avoid going outside because every time i go outside i am faced with this huge anxiety attack for no reason, after a while once i'm comfortable in my surroundings it goes away but its constant and always there.

i opened up to my doctor and she is sending me to a Physiatrist for further examining.

only drugs i have taken in my life were Alcohol and weed, weed seemed to make it x10 worse for some reason idk why.

i'm here today asking for help, i don't know what drug i can legally buy from the local drug store to help me with this.

i live in canada ontario.

i tried CBT Therapy but couldn't even go because of the anxiety

There aren't great drugs to buy from the drug store, maybe valerian root or something?

So you're upset because your general practitioner won't prescribe you anything and referred you to a psychiatrist? That's really the correct course of action imo. Most GPs just aren't properly trained to deal with MH issues, so as long as you're not waiting too long to see the psychiatrist it doesn't seem to unreasonable since you've clearly been living with and dealing with these issues for some time.

There aren't great drugs to buy from the drug store, maybe valerian root or something?

So you're upset because your general practitioner won't prescribe you anything and referred you to a psychiatrist? That's really the correct course of action imo. Most GPs just aren't properly trained to deal with MH issues, so as long as you're not waiting too long to see the psychiatrist it doesn't seem to unreasonable since you've clearly been living with and dealing with these issues for some time.

thank you for the response monk! i will look into valerian root, and yes i am upset, but it is my fault i didn't open up sooner and talk to my doctor about this, i just want something to help with the anxiety before i get my chance to see the psychiatrist.

its truly ruining my life

The psychiatrist is likely going to be the one who would prescribe something for anxiety, this is standard procedure. you could be thrown on benzos or put through a myriad of ssri's and other meds first.

Hello my name is michael, i been suffering from crippling anxiety since highschool and its only gotten worse since , i'm at the stage in my life where i will try and work from home and avoid going outside because every time i go outside i am faced with this huge anxiety attack for no reason, after a while once i'm comfortable in my surroundings it goes away but its constant and always there.

i opened up to my doctor and she is sending me to a Physiatrist for further examining.

only drugs i have taken in my life were Alcohol and weed, weed seemed to make it x10 worse for some reason idk why.

i'm here today asking for help, i don't know what drug i can legally buy from the local drug store to help me with this.

i live in canada ontario.

i tried CBT Therapy but couldn't even go because of the anxiety

Sorry to hear that. I had it really bad when I was in early recovery. It was more like anticipatory anxiety in some ways. My heart would start beating out of my chest when my turn to speak slowly approached. Since I'm an addict my options were limited but one thing my general practitioner was able to prescribe that helped was the beta-blocker propranolol. It's not mood altering, but keeps your heart from beating so hard when you have anxiety. When your heart's not beating real hard it kind of breaks up the anxiety feedback loop. Maybe not the most medically accurate description but you get the idea.

I agree that a beta blocker could help. Also, kava kava is said to reduce anxiety and you can buy that at a store. Might be worth a try!

- VE