• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

propaganda: chasing the first hit?

Ne0

Bluelighter
So you've heard the propaganda slogan about "chasing the first hit"? So I've done almost every major drug in the earth in the past 12 years and I've never felt need to try to get similiar effect like from the first time, for most parts I even don't remember how my first booze, weed, speed or opiate dose felt. I used hard opiates for 3 years everyday, but not even once I was thinking "dude I want that first hit again". I've done lots of speed but never I have felt that hey I want the first hit! That seems utterly bullshit. They even say that "chasing the dragon" means chasing the first hit, thats total bullshit, chasing the dragon comes from Cantonese or mandarin (not sure) and it meant the smoke that comes when you smoke opium, it does look like a dragon you know. Tell me is there even so stupid person that try´s to get "the magic first time", and after 10 times not achieving it he still think it will come? Lol, ofc first time feels different, like with everything in world, you're first sex feels different (most likely its totally shit sex), the first car you had and the beginning when you started to drive a car it felt really cool and interesting and so on.

personally i know that i was alwayyys trying to re-create that magical first time i sniffed mephedrone.
i always assumed the dragon thing was about opium too but i guess its just become a metaphor?

personally i know that i was alwayyys trying to re-create that magical first time i sniffed mephedrone.
i always assumed the dragon thing was about opium too but i guess its just become a metaphor?

It is both a metaphor for chasing that unobtainable first high (the "dragon" that you'll spend your life chasing but never catch), and a metaphor that describes the literal act of chasing heroin "smoke" off of foil, or that describes the act of chasing meth "smoke" off foil ("chasing the white dragon"), but these are all phrases I've never heard in real life.

I have chased the first high of every substance I really liked. Consistently. It's never the same as the first (few) time(s) though.

I don't understand, I have used opiates over 10 years and only lately got really daily user, I dont remember one moment when I thought damn I want that first moment, first time is always different. I still got very good high from opiates every time when the dose was right. Also same goes to any other drug. If I notice that some drug has lost its good effect I simply quit, like i did with opiates because my tolerance went so high that it would be very expensive to get good effects. After some break I get the good effects again.

I creamed my jeans first time I shot H. So I let that dragon fly the way the fuck away

Isn't "chasing the buzz of the first time" also applicable to people on a binge or a bender?
By that i mean spending a whole day or night or whatever trying to get the feeling of the buzz off that first couple of drinks (or lines, hits, whatever) back?

I dunno, some first-time experiences with drugs are the best, others get better with familiarity.
There are lots of variables, like set and setting - as well as biology etc.

Lots of drugs have diminishing returns the more you use them - but others get better as you become more acquainted.

There are a bunch of corny analogies i could make for other things in life - but...you get the picture :)
I think the idea about "chasing the first hit" is perhaps more about trying something, liking it, and then deciding to do it again.

Like virtually all drug propaganda, i think it's probably just an oversimplification that misses the point completely.

Isn't "chasing the buzz of the first time" also applicable to people on a binge or a bender?
By that i mean spending a whole day or night or whatever trying to get the feeling of the buzz off that first couple of drinks (or lines, hits, whatever) back?

I dunno, some first-time experiences with drugs are the best, others get better with familiarity.
There are lots of variables, like set and setting - as well as biology etc.

Lots of drugs have diminishing returns the more you use them - but others get better as you become more acquainted.

There are a bunch of corny analogies i could make for other things in life - but...you get the picture :)
I think the idea about "chasing the first hit" is perhaps more about trying something, liking it, and then deciding to do it again.

Like virtually all drug propaganda, i think it's probably just an oversimplification that misses the point completely.

lol corny analogies. "You keep tuggin on that thang it's gonna fall off"-moms

Well, i was thinking more about the way different types of food or music - or people - can grow on you, like an acquired taste - but yeah, that works too, heh.

I don't think anyone would care about propagandising (is there such a word?) against drugs. No one has anything to win from something like that. Personally I try to keep my tolerance low to all drugs I use so the "first hit" comes almost always. But yeah, I think if I didn't, I would chase the feeling of the first time in every use.

The first time I did heroin, I did way too much (was used to coke where you can do lines then do some more in a while), I was young and dumb...and spent the next 24 hours alternating between throwing up and being passed out on the couch. Trust me when I tell you I was never trying to recapture that moment.

Now the second time I tried it, when I found a bag in a drawer left over from Time #1, that one was nice....but not epic.

Anytime I've taken a break from heroin for months or years and then used, it was just like using when I was opiate naive...super high, long duration, and when I haven't used in ages the first few keep me awake rather than nodding.

The only drug that I can say I sort of chase a beginning high (not the first ever) is cocajne. I hate crack, but when j have smoked it the first one j take is good then nothing in that session ever comes close. And IV coke , the first to me isn't the best but the second or third shots are....and it's all downhill from there. No matter how much I do in that session , no other comes close. Probably cause of the dopamine being the most plentiful. But with IV the first almost feels like I get halfway there,like have to prime the system

I know. I'm weird.

It's fun that some drugs only get better with use, one example would be 3-MeO-PCP. I don't advocate taking dissociatives, or drugs in general but it's interesting to compare different classes of drugs.

I think what they mean is chasing your highest high and for most people that's the first time..chasing doesn't really explain it for me either because I don't plan on having that high but deep down I hope that the dose I take will get me there even tho it's false hopes..the only drug I say that could recreate my first high is Coke because I don't do it often and a nice fatty will get me there

i was sick as a dog first time I did opiates..I chase like the 3rd or 4th high with those :|

Last edited:
I totally agree with chasing the Dragon looking for that first hit is bullshit.

What I am chasing is the effects of the drug I am using/abusing because for me, the first I ever took of heroin feels the exact same as the hit I get now years later.

I am very sorry to bump an old thread, I just want to write a thesis on how it's bullshit.

Well, maybe it wasn't the case with opiates, since I still get very good effects from that class of drugs. But the rest.. The first time was pretty much always the best for me and what made me become a regular/daily user of each of those substances for a good long while.

I haven't had a truly awesome high in years, yet I still dabble or outright abuse drugs.

Yes, I believe after a point you are chasing the good old days.

eh, i think to a large degree it's a case of novelty. this affects all experiences. a high opiate/benzo/pot dose may be just as intense/fun to me now as it was in 2008 or 2009, but back then it was more FRESH to me, and therefore more EXCITING.

we can always match intensity of the current high to the past, if we try hard enough. i think it's the novelty factor which constitutes the real variable here

^agreed.

first time shmirst time. my 3rd time truly rolling was amazing. planets aligned, ultimate setting, hadn't rolled in a year....never matched that since with only mdma....however throw in combos and that goes out the door. always room to experience higher highs when it comes to psychedelics.

opiates for that matter, work as fucking good as ever with the right dose. thats the great thing about them....pure stims...can't speak to

I haven't had a truly awesome high in years, yet I still dabble or outright abuse drugs.

Yes, I believe after a point you are chasing the good old days.

thats horrible.... maybe if you went so hard you permanently ruined your brain or something.

granted it depends on the drug

weed: never gonna be the same as the first times....although there was this one time...12 years after being a fulltime pothead...where i had quite smoking for two months and then took a monster single dab out of an electrically powered bong. It was easily on the level of my first time being stoned. visuals weren't quite as psychedelic...they were more dissociative like in terms of everything looking surreal....wasn't true hallucinations like the first time. but it was almost as good

opiates: good ten years later as the first time with the right dose and tolerance

stims: can't really speak to

psychs/mdma: never cease to amaze me

dissociatives: once they put the fear in your you're less willing to push it as far, at least i have been...so never quite gotten to the same place as I did with IVing hole doses of mxe in the begining

I never really have my "first high" in mind whenever I do opiates, MDMA, whatever.

I think it's more like your first time of anything, drugs or not, is particularly special, simply because it's a novel experience for you, a different way to experience life, in a way. Of course you can never get the novelty back.

That being said, you can still get pretty fucked up if it's your first time, your second time, or your hundredth time. I just think (maybe with the exception of opiates) that for psychs, the "novelty" is lost, and you get used to the space it puts you in. It still "fucks you up", but it's not anything new anymore because you know exactly where it will take you.