• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What kind of things have apprenticeships?

Libby

Bluelighter
I want an apprenticeship. Enlighten me about them?

Trades like plumbing or other sorts of manual labour; hairdressing, chef, locksmith.

Sounds like it could be a positive move.
Just going by your recent posts, it sounds like a change in professions would do you good.

I'd say you'd have some some unique interpersonal skills too. I mean that completely sincerely - no sarcasm. There are some jobs that not everybody would be able to do, or do well!

My understanding is that apprecenticeships generally involve a fair amount of low-paid (or unpaid) on-the-job learning, at least from what i've come to understand from people i've known to do them.
Tough work but well worth it for a lot of people.
Especially at the moment - i don't know about NZ, but in Australia a lot of tradies these days make really good money.

Last edited:
I need job, have nothing I can put on a CV except for a letter of recommendation on United Nations letterhead because of my activism stuff I do. Can't put "whore" as job experience on a CV. Can't put "repeatedly dropped out of school" on CV. Figure I need to study something first but can't afford to coz need job, hence apprenticeship seems the way. Those sorts of jobs that usually men do like plumbing and etc, how physically strong do need to be? Like there is a reason its mostly men doing them or no?

I think some trades have really opened up; but at the same time i have mates who are tradies (electricians etc) who struggle a bit to find workplaces that they can fit into because they're not stereotypical tradesmen, in a social sense (stoners that play in punk rock bands, etc).

Speaking of punk rock, i used to cut and dye all my friends hair (with crazy coloured dyes that i acquired through dubious mean).
I sometimes used to think about hairdressing as a career option i could have pursued (i still cut my own hairl, lol) but frankly i'm not that keen on touching strangers all day...

(Not meaning to stereotype you - it's difficult crossing over into the "straight world" career-wise, especially if you worked in a heavily stigmatised or black market industry. Which is what got me thinking "what are your particular employment capabilities?" I'm sure you have a lot)

Besides apprenticeships, would any of the kind of careers that wouldn't judge you for being a "sex worker" be of interest to you?

I'm thinking along the lines of social worker, or maybe something in the harm reduction/sexual health field?
Not anything you could do an apprenticeship for - but i know that internships and volunteer work at sexual health clinics or HR groups could be a proverbial foot in the door.
I got asked once if i was interested in volunteering at a local 'drug users association' (because i was well informed from being a bluelighter ;)) and told it often led to paid employment.

People in those kinds of fields don't tend to judge - in fact in certain social services, i think it could conceivably be used to your advantage (if you went about it the right way).

You seem to be pretty switched-on, passionate about things and with a social conscience.
All perfect attributes for that sort of thing...even if it is off-topic from the apprenticeship question, sorry.

Just thinking out loud - i know nothing about you apart from what you share on here - but there must be some career paths that don't view sex work as taboo and unmentionable.
Unless you want a total change of scenery - which would be understandable too.

Last edited:
I'm not a sex worker I reject that term, I'm a prostituted woman, but anyway on topic what do you mean careers that wouldn't judge me for that? Such as?

Oh sorry I should read all the way before replying lol.

I edited my post too; added content.

Fair enough - i know there are wildly varying perspectives on the matter of prostitution.

Just want a job. Preferrably DOING something. You know not sitting around an office. I will work hard if it's not boring as shit.

Would you be happy to work outdoors?
Are you tecnhically-minded, in the sense that people working with machinery, wiring, tools and that sort of thing are?
Are you willing to work in an industry (or for employers) that generally do drug tests as a standard thing?
Do you want a 9-5, something flexible, or are you prepared to work night shifts, etc?

What about getting a forklift ticket to do some kinda warehouse/factory gig in the meantime?
Is there some kind of "responsible service of alcohol" course (assuming nz has an equivalent rewuirement to aus) you could do to get bar work?
Cocktail-making course?

Just throwing ideas at you. Been working through a career change myself in the last year or so - so those sorts of questions are still at the forefront of my mind.
Trying to think what my personality traits are (my "aptitudes" and "strengths" and all that bullshit) and how best to utilise them in my work.

Never did an apprenticeship though, so i'm not much help in that sense.

Sure, as long as I gots me sunscreen.
Yes.
Yeah they all do that thesedays I think.
I'll work whatever shifts can get but would prefer to experience a normal kind of life for once, so like 9-5 and sleeping at night time instead of day time would be amazing.
What's a forklift ticket? i don't know how to drive, my boyfriend wants to teach me how though, I bought a piece of shit car off a mate for cheap.
I don't want to do bar work.

"Forklift ticket" = licence to operate a forklift in a work setting.
Dunno if nz has restrictions on that kinda thing. Can open up warehouse jobs and that kinda thing though.