• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery 16 years oxy user working up plan to get off for good please help have questions

I am sorry to hear about your father. I understand what it is to suffer with chronic pain. There is such a dramatic difference between the biology, and psychology of acute and chronic pain. Opioid therapy has not shown great long term results in the treatment of chronic pain. Most long-term users end up experiencing hyperalgesia, which is an increased sensitivity to pain and an overall increase in pain levels. Mindfulness based practice has shown far more efficacy in the long-term management of chronic pain with various modalities mixed in. There is such an emotional and trauma based component to pain.

Imagine what it would be like to be operated on and rebuilt into something completely different? Often it creates a psychological state very similar to what vets and first responders suffer: PTSD. Has your dad had access to any forms of therapy to deal with the emotional pain caused by enduring a very serious medical event?

There are two very powerful effects in the human brain, one of which most people have heard of. Placebo effect is the positive therapeutic effect that the brain will create under a circumstance of suggestion and belief. If I give 100 people a pill and tell them that it will make them feel feelings of euphoria 25% of the recipients on average will experience euphoria. Powerful!

Nocebo effect is the negative effect that the brain will create under a circumstance of suggestion and belief. If I give 100 people a pill and then tell them that it will cause horrific stomach cramping a whopping 90% of the recipients will experience varying degrees of negative effects. The Nocebo effect is incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, doctors consistently break their patients by telling them, "You will be like this the rest of your life," or, "you will be on this medication the rest of your life." It takes a great deal of positive reinforcement and often therapy to untangle the nocebo effect.

Know this, all pain is real, but only a certain degree of it is biologically related. That is why therapies are moving toward more bio/psycho/social modeling. If your father is open to improving his quality of life, perhaps seek a therapist. Buprenorphine given in small doses orally (<2mg) or transdermally (<20mcg) has shown superior pain relief without the same degree of psychological effects. A carefully managed switch to Buprenorphine combined with, mindfulness practice, chi kung (if able), massage (if able), and other various holistic modalities may work wonders.

**edited for clarity

Under no circumstance should buprenorphine therapy be induced without a trained medical professional guiding you. I figured I better add that in since I played my own doctor for decades and many on this forum still do, justifying it away by clinging to the "brokenness" that someone else put on them.

Last edited:
Very informative post jd :) that is such an important point about the significance of working with properly trained professionals one gets along well with.

Did you mean xigong instead of chi kung? The English pronunciation sounds a lot like Chee-gong, but I'm curious if it is something else entirely. Mindful movement practices like xigong, tai chi and some forms of yoga are definitely incredibly beneficial when working with pain for sure though, especially long term. It's amazing the improvements I've found with my nerve related pain, and seeing some of the people I've known with serious chronic illness associated pain has been pretty mind blowing.

In terms of pain management, I'm still rather excited to see what comes of the research they've been doing with ketamine. It seems like similar drugs have a lot of potential, right now the ketamine pumps I've heard of are just very impractical, and long term ketamine use definitely has some highly undesirable side effects (I'm more thinking recreational use here though).

There are dozens of ways to spell it apparently, but Chi Kung is one of the many correct ways as is qi gong and xigong. I prefer Chi Kung only because one of my associates has been teaching it for 25 years and he spells it that way. lol. I have seen miraculous recoveries from chronic pain through application of the modalities you mentioned. Sometime if you like you can Google search Dr. Mel Pohl.

Wow j Your post is awesome. I have chronic pain and indeed there is so much involved. I learned what you posted while in a chronic painrehab.

it is an amazing program. I was there for 31 days. Mindfulness was a large part of it. Learning not to reach for meds as your immediate response to pain. Alternative treatments such a reiki (sp?) prononounced Ray-kee, which I had done a couple time a week and loved, accunpuncture which I didn't like because the guy put a needle in my chest plate and stabbed me in my ankle bone-both of which hurt for days- but a couple of the others loved it, we did bio-feedback which I loved, art and music therapy---really really great stuff.

We were taught and educated on everything you said in your post. I absolutely loved the experience. So did all of the others that I'm still in touch with. Another great thing-which we all agreed on-was finally being around others that undrstood the nuances and complexities of chronic pain. All ages. All different walks of life. We have a deep bond to one another. Chronic pain is a very isolating feeling. Not anymore though :). Great post J.

Hey there TLD!!

How have you been? Congratulations on 2years my friend. You are missed here. Good hearing from you. <3

Hey TLD! Congrats!

Was it that long ago we both quit? We are impressive. :) :D

And you are definitely missed.

Solidarity, CD
<3

Hi cduggles! it seems like 5 years have passed instead of 2 and hell yeah we are impressive!! Solidarity TLD

jesus please for the life of me FIX your grammar
thanks for reply vastempty today all i did for my 8am dose was 15mgs roxy and i made it to 3pm for my next dose. It really blows my mind when i think of where i once was now 15mgs roxy can hold me off and hell yes its not easy to taper oxy i stopped doing my ocycontins two weeks ago doing only my roxy 15 kickers i really miss them ocycontins the roxys are tourture they dont last but i make them maybe in a way i want to start to feel the withdrawl pain so when the time comes its not as shocking. Thanks VE