• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery 16 years oxy user working up plan to get off for good please help have questions

the last dose

Bluelighter
I posted this in another section got no replies so i made my own thread and will post back along my journey. I have been in pain management for more than 16 years after a car accident and thru all the years i have never gone into full withdrawls couple times i had to go a day without. Ive been as high as two 80mg oxys with four 30mg roxys a day believe or not ive weened myself down to three doses a day each dose is a 15 roxy and a half of another 15 roxy total 67.5 mg roxy a day. I have my kr- cough cough ready for jumpin do you guys think i can jump without missing work im planning on 7 grams bali for each starting dose. Im gonna try to get clonidine and lyrica from my doc maybe use the lyrica only when i jump to kr then the clonidine when i stop kr after atleast 3 weeks on kr. What can i expect goin from roxy to kr and then stopping kr after 3 weeks, remember ive been on oxy for 15 years never stopping does that matter or all that matters is the dose you jump off from thanks for any help getting ready to do this for real soon god i hope i can do it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
16 years is a hell of a long time, and staying off opiates is going to be the hard part. I'm guessing you'll be battling existential boredom every single day like me, and will need to find some new productive hobbies.

Also isn't this stuff supposed to be scheduled by the DEA soon? I would try to find some asap if this is your plan.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with better advice than I've given. There's probably a bunch of threads on this site with people posting their tapering schedule.

Best of luck.

16 years is a hell of a long time, and staying off opiates is going to be the hard part. I'm guessing you'll be battling existential boredom every single day like me, and will need to find some new productive hobbies.

Also isn't this stuff supposed to be scheduled by the DEA soon? I would try to find some asap if this is your plan.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with better advice than I've given. There's probably a bunch of threads on this site with people posting their tapering schedule.

Best of luck.

Thanks for reply starting over I do hear alot of people saying the problems after quitting but between hating the monthly appt at pain doc worrying will you get your scripts and being controlled for all these years combined with i have only been able to smoke weed for like two days out of each month because of monthly pain doc urine samples. I think i will be so happy to never see a pain doc again along with being able to smoke weed i will cruise past this bad episode looking in the rearview mirror. What has given me the strength to finally taper to quit is i bought and inversion table a year ago and have gotten great relief for my back from it anyhow thanks one day at a time.

Still holding to my taper only doing 15mgs to 22.5mgs roxys 3 times a day friday i did only 52.5mgs roxy total lol i remember a time when 52.5mgs would put me in withdrawls. Also sun afternoon dose i used 7 grams kratom and it held me off better than the small roxy dose im doing if i only knew if it would stay that way i would jump sooner. thanks

Last dose -

you are doing awesome. Keep it up!

I have used Kratom twice to get off oxy - once tianeptine, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. The key, for me at least, is to use it as a rapid taper. So instead of tapering the oxy, like your doing, I jumped off the oxy and tapered the Kratom. It works really well for me. Mostly because I can't for the life of me taper off oxy.

Do do you plan to keep tapering the roxy down to zero, or switch to Kratom first?

- VE

Last dose -

you are doing awesome. Keep it up!

I have used Kratom twice to get off oxy - once tianeptine, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. The key, for me at least, is to use it as a rapid taper. So instead of tapering the oxy, like your doing, I jumped off the oxy and tapered the Kratom. It works really well for me. Mostly because I can't for the life of me taper off oxy.

Do do you plan to keep tapering the roxy down to zero, or switch to Kratom first?

- VE

thanks for reply vastempty today all i did for my 8am dose was 15mgs roxy and i made it to 3pm for my next dose. It really blows my mind when i think of where i once was now 15mgs roxy can hold me off and hell yes its not easy to taper oxy i stopped doing my ocycontins two weeks ago doing only my roxy 15 kickers i really miss them ocycontins the roxys are tourture they dont last but i make them maybe in a way i want to start to feel the withdrawl pain so when the time comes its not as shocking. Thanks VE

I myself have never been able to taper off Roxy's or Oxys. If u have them I will use them and to excess every time. It seems as though you are doing it quite successfully so congrats on that. I personally have no experience with Kratom but have had many of my patients use it with success. Most that used it successfully gave themselves a time frame for use and stuck to it. I wish you the best of luck. It is not easy but it is possible. ❤

LastD -

Thats awesome that 15 mgs held you for hours! You are going to sooooo thank yourself for tapering when you jump off. Do you have a long-term plan for getting off of them entirely?

Also, you said you are tapering to get an idea of wd pain so it's not as shocking. I totally get the concept, but how could you have been on opiates for 16 years and never felt wds? Hell, I felt it for the first 45-60 minutes of my morning and then again toward the end of my day - every day for the last 3ish years. I maybe it wasn't full blow acute wds at the 72 hour mark - but it was certainly mild withdrawals until I got my dose. Did you never have that? Just curious how one might avoid it, I thought it was par for the course, so to speak. It could be that I had an incredibly irresponsible dosing schedule - I would go 12+ (Usually closer to 15) hours between my evening dose and morning doses. Anyway, I'm getting side tracked. Sorry!

keep up the good work and I'll be cheering you on from the finish line (or maybe from the second mile mark) when you get down to zero. You are already so close, I really believe you got this!

- VE

I myself have never been able to taper off Roxy's or Oxys. If u have them I will use them and to excess every time. It seems as though you are doing it quite successfully so congrats on that. I personally have no experience with Kratom but have had many of my patients use it with success. Most that used it successfully gave themselves a time frame for use and stuck to it. I wish you the best of luck. It is not easy but it is possible. ❤

thanks for reply Vera, I guess after 19 years you reach a point when your ready for anything. Actually what finally gave me the strength to start tapering was more than a year ago i bought and inversion table and got such good relief from it and still do today. So im hoping i'll be able to handle my back pain without meds using my inversion table. Yes its not easy sticking to a taper but really i have not felt my meds in ten years only feeling normal at best even with 140 mgs dose at once. So i got a pill cutter and started cutting oxys in half and using less roxys it didnt really hurt that much. You would be surprised how much less you can get by on it really wasnt bad until i stopped the oxys and went with just roxys, even at the same dose then the roxys dont last long but i stuck it out. I have to say this is when i first really started to get withdrawls starting two hours before each of my next roxy doses but after a week it got a little better so i actually started cutting the roxy doses its where i am now. And i dont have no experience with kratom either actually i bought some around ten years ago to supplement i felt it did nothing and threw it out but back then my doses were so high of course i woudnt feel it lol In the last couple weeks i switched to a kratom dose a couple times 7 grams of kratom with great success actually held me off better than the roxy but i think after a couple days on it my withdrawls will come on just not sure tho. thanks again

LastD -

Thats awesome that 15 mgs held you for hours! You are going to sooooo thank yourself for tapering when you jump off. Do you have a long-term plan for getting off of them entirely?

Also, you said you are tapering to get an idea of wd pain so it's not as shocking. I totally get the concept, but how could you have been on opiates for 16 years and never felt wds? Hell, I felt it for the first 45-60 minutes of my morning and then again toward the end of my day - every day for the last 3ish years. I maybe it wasn't full blow acute wds at the 72 hour mark - but it was certainly mild withdrawals until I got my dose. Did you never have that? Just curious how one might avoid it, I thought it was par for the course, so to speak. It could be that I had an incredibly irresponsible dosing schedule - I would go 12+ (Usually closer to 15) hours between my evening dose and morning doses. Anyway, I'm getting side tracked. Sorry!

keep up the good work and I'll be cheering you on from the finish line (or maybe from the second mile mark) when you get down to zero. You are already so close, I really believe you got this!

- VE

Hi VE
My dosing schedule for as long as i can remember is 9am next dose 3pm then midnight i like to get a good night sleep and wake up feeling good way back i use do my third dose around 8pm and then i would wake up like 4am every morning then go back to bed for two hours before getting up for work. Finally i said the hell with it my 3rd dose and used it for sleeping and waking up ok. And believe it or not for about the last 16 years i have never gone 24 hours without, lots of smaller doses when i had to and when our dog died 14 years ago i was upset i went without for around 18 hours but gave in definitely feeling major withdrawls. As for feeling withdrawls i have always gotten minor ones just before each next dose during the last couple weeks of my taper hell yes im feeling them i have to knock that little dude off my shoulder everyday With just roxy two hours before my next dose comes my knees hurt my back hurts but worst of all is the ache in my legs and feet (i wanna chop em off) kiddin also runny nose, sneezing, and 0 strength feels like my legs weigh 500 lbs. The thing that scares me the most is when its the worst i will yawn and stretch out it sometimes causes charlie horses in my calfes sometimes as i stretch it weird like my whole body locks up and trembles that shit worries me. As for my plan i havent been to my regular doc in ten years but i plan on going to get clonidine for comfort and mainly i have high blood pressure sometimes, also Lyrica im hoping to get mainly for my legs i use to be on regular gabapentin a couple years back for my feet and leg nerve pain i felt it wasnt doing much so i stopped taking them after 8 months and had no withdrawl at all from them maybe because of being on oxys kept it at bay. Once i go to doc im ready i could be as close as a couple weeks away from jumping to kratom then weening off kratom i have a whole laundry list of things i want for help, i think im gonna breakdown and by Elimidrol too also gonna try Ashwaganda i dont wanna fail!. I wish i knew how much it matters being on oxy this long if it will make withdrawls worse or does it only matter the size dose and also the halflife from med your on when jumping i have read lots of conflicting stuff on that. Sorry for typing so much stuff i really do appreciate your advise thanks

New breakthru and also problem after yesterday doing all 3 dose only at 15mgs roxy each for the first time i think im going a little too fast i was really hurting yesterday, i noticed i have a short fuse when down this low and im also afraid i might be raising my blood pressue too high. So today even after how yesterday went i still only did a 15 roxy at 8am so far still ok we shall see if i have to raise next dose up 3.5 to 7.5mgs hopefully only 3.5 man i really wish i could time travel just a couple months!

New breakthru and also problem after yesterday doing all 3 dose only at 15mgs roxy each for the first time i think im going a little too fast i was really hurting yesterday, i noticed i have a short fuse when down this low and im also afraid i might be raising my blood pressue too high. So today even after how yesterday went i still only did a 15 roxy at 8am so far still ok we shall see if i have to raise next dose up 3.5 to 7.5mgs hopefully only 3.5 man i really wish i could time travel just a couple months!

Stick w it if you can, you'll "even out" about day 3 of the dose drop ...... I'm a very mellow man , but I could feel my BP rise and short fuse lit a little during dose drops , don't overthink needing all the other meds - I bought a bunch also and think they made me feel worse ..... Are you using gabapentin or kratom now to help ? Any benzo. for sleep ? Ibuprofen to help body being sore ?
Your acute w/d will be the same , even after 16 yrs. ...... Down to your 3 doses is badass ! Maybe your next drop cut them and go like 10mg am / 7.5 / 7.5 / 10 for 4 dose days -
Bottom line is you have your mind set and you are trying , take pride and keep stepping that direction !! Good job ; )

Stick w it if you can, you'll "even out" about day 3 of the dose drop ...... I'm a very mellow man , but I could feel my BP rise and short fuse lit a little during dose drops , don't overthink needing all the other meds - I bought a bunch also and think they made me feel worse ..... Are you using gabapentin or kratom now to help ? Any benzo. for sleep ? Ibuprofen to help body being sore ?
Your acute w/d will be the same , even after 16 yrs. ...... Down to your 3 doses is badass ! Maybe your next drop cut them and go like 10mg am / 7.5 / 7.5 / 10 for 4 dose days -
Bottom line is you have your mind set and you are trying , take pride and keep stepping that direction !! Good job ; )

Thanks i cup i just saw this now i answered alot of the stuff on VE recovery journal as for benzo i have plenty xanax ready ive been using a little for sleep on bad nights, ive taking xanax for years on and off never had withdrawls from it. I like what your saying but keep in mind where i started 2 years ago i was getting 2 oxycontin 80s and 4 roxy 30s along with a morp. everyday so i might cap off at 3 15mgs roxys a day before jumping, Really between pain man. weening me and me weening myself ive been weening for two years and its getting old. My mind set is solid to end this ive been on for to long the crazy thing is i never had any mind fog or any bad symptoms over the years just tired of pain man controlling me and not knowing every month what the hell they were gonna do like lower me etc. i just got tired of having no say at all with my body. Also a year or so ago i bought and inversion table and i get great relief from it. thanks i cup

Today, 15mgs roxy dose are starting to hold me a little better still dont think my body will let me go lower than 15mgs oh well if i gotta jump at 45mgs a day i think i'll be ok, 6 grams of bali holds me just as good as 15 roxy. So maybe in a week or two at most im jumping i just want to put as much time as i can between my last ocycontin dose which is now over two weeks ago, so all im dealing with is the half life of the roxys.

Damn LD, applaudes for tapering sir! You don't have dedication... you got DAMN dedication lol.

One thing I noticed, is while on painkillers for my knee (which I thoroughly fucked up) the pain was ever present. Although dulled by meds it never lessened overall. The first time I detoxed in between my self inflicted knee injuries, I noticed that the pain slowly subsided over time. When I reinjured it ( alot less than before ) and relapsed, I noticed that it had that same nagging pain for the next year or so while on the painkillers. When I got on subs it felt alot better even in the first month and then began to plateau at a barely noticeable but constant ache. Since being off subs for about a month and a half, I'm unable to notice that dull ache. Only when I have physically stressed it ( like playing around in mountainous woods like a child) has it really hurt at all. When it does hurt the pain tends to pissed off after 30 mins to an hour.

I truly don't know if that is my knee naturally healing or if the chronic pain was exasperated by the pain killers but hopefully, along with the almighty inversion table, the chronic pain will lessen as you come off.

Anyways, your doing great man and ty for the kind words earlier!

~MrNotSoClean~

Damn LD, applaudes for tapering sir! You don't have dedication... you got DAMN dedication lol.

One thing I noticed, is while on painkillers for my knee (which I thoroughly fucked up) the pain was ever present. Although dulled by meds it never lessened overall. The first time I detoxed in between my self inflicted knee injuries, I noticed that the pain slowly subsided over time. When I reinjured it ( alot less than before ) and relapsed, I noticed that it had that same nagging pain for the next year or so while on the painkillers. When I got on subs it felt alot better even in the first month and then began to plateau at a barely noticeable but constant ache. Since being off subs for about a month and a half, I'm unable to notice that dull ache. Only when I have physically stressed it ( like playing around in mountainous woods like a child) has it really hurt at all. When it does hurt the pain tends to pissed off after 30 mins to an hour.

I truly don't know if that is my knee naturally healing or if the chronic pain was exasperated by the pain killers but hopefully, along with the almighty inversion table, the chronic pain will lessen as you come off.

Anyways, your doing great man and ty for the kind words earlier!

~MrNotSoClean~

Hey Misterclean welcome to my thread of horrors, I definitely get great relief from inversion and advise anybody with back problems to give one a try i bought mine on walmart.com for under a 100 bucks. Crazy thing is through the years on oxy i actually did get relief for my back pain even still on small doses, i use to argue with pain man. that i was getting good relief still with meds then new docs started at my pain man. telling me it does not after time i use to tell the one dick doc im not chasing a high and if your looking for pain relief its still great, but no they no better. Really they know better than i do with my own body BULLSHIT! really i was on to the whole deal there 10 years ago there was no chairs in waiting room all taken then in the last year with every bit of bad press on the tv etc. i wondered every month what kind of bs were they gonna give me over the years almost every raise in meds was done by them. Then comes the funny part as more seats opened in the waiting room the more bullshit i had to go thru like lower meds them telling me you cant be on this much meds and i would say really then why did you put me on that much. Always trying to push epidoral pain block inj. next to spine which i always denied for two reasons one being i worked with someone that had one at his pain man. he ended up in hospital for three days with his legs ballooning up and turning red with lots of lost feeling in legs, compound that with headaches hes had for years ever since. So i did a little research on them shots and found websites with people saying same disasters and even worse so no fucking way were they gonna stick me. I know some people have gotten good relief from these shots so to each their own. The other reason i didnt want shot was in a weird way i like to feel where my pain level is with my back im older but i still do stupid shit like ride atvs i have a sweet banshee i use to play hockey on inline skates in leagues and a little ice hockey too, i started late with hockey didnt get into the sport till i was into my middle 30s i dont play hockey anymore but i sure beat the hell outa my body over the years but anyway with a pain block shot i would end up doing worse damage without knowing. So between me and maybe one other person in the waiting room at the most and getting that good doc bad doc bullshit and last time i was there i guess since there wasnt many left in this office they wanted to empty my insur. they wanted new MRIs done another round of the lovely nerve test sticking needles in your legs and then shocking the shit out of them yeah i fucking hated that test i think i had it done three times atleast over the years there but mostly they wanted to do the epidoral inj the most of course they bill ins thousands of dollars for that so the writing was on the wall and little did they know after i bought inversion table and as they started cutting my meds i was already way in head of them weening. So this is where im at now got a decent supply of roxy 15s left from me weening myself so it gives me the luxury to taper the last at my pace i knew i needed alot of them because my plan from almost a year ago was to do taper with both meds then the last month stop taking oxycontin and just do roxys i figure with the halflife differences with withdralws should only last half as long on roxys. Sorry for this long ass post im wide awake at 2 in the morning lol i definitely ruled something out of my post withdrawls arsenal my buddy gave me a couple of his generic time released ridlan after i read some people use it for withdrawls for energy I FUCKED UP this shit has me a twitchy jittery fucking mess i even took a whole blue xanax i think 1mg and it was the first time in my life i didnt have any effect on me. I feel like the old days snorting some rocket fuel speed i am so wide awake and feeling like shit so now you can understand this jittery long ass post sorry.

Lol I almost thought about taking some Ritalin while I was super exhausted but decided against it as I remember taking it in my teens and I would have trouble sleeping. Since I was already unable to sleep while tired I figured trying to sleep while suped up on ritalin wouldn't work :p

My mom recently got the injection in her back. ( almost 60 years old and she messed it up after a water skiing oops... go figure lol)

So far shes been a success story and now is able to get up and get going like she used to without having to lay down every hour... not water skiing so much anymore though :p For her, that really was her only option as she absolutely hates the feeling any opiates give her. ( which I honestly can't fathom.) If I remember correctly she gets the shot every year or so.

My aunt has had the injection as well but just because she's got some degenerative disk stuff or something... not because she goes balls out like my mom. I know she was the one to suggest it to my mom but I don't know much about my aunts individual experience.

Anyways, I know the good doc bad doc game from when I was in pain mngmnt. I would have one at the clinic raise my dose and the one next month lower it and so on. Frustrating as hell but honestly, during half that time, I really wasn't looking to manage pain.

Your doin good man, just keep going at it and you'll get there!

~MNSC~

Holy shit i just read my last post my god i was delarious im NEVER gonna do that shit again i got one hour sleep and im still fucking jittery but atleast my skins not crawling like last night. I have heard more success stories than failure with epidoral shots but with my luck i wasnt gonna let them do it. Funny you say your mom dont like how ops feel in the early 90s a buddy of mine always had percs and everytime i tried it i never liked it either funny how things can change once ops stick the hooks in. Heres two sites that state some facts about epidural inj. not sure if im allowed to post this if not mod please delete http://lifeinpain.org/node/34784 http://nationalpainreport.com/fda-warns-about-epidurals-8823722.html

thanks misterclean

Im still holding at 15mgs roxy 3 times a day im finally starting to not feel as terrible last two hours before each dose just by a little i really dont think i could go lower, maybe i'll try two or three days before jumping to kratom then ween. I keep reading alot of stories about withdrawling taken two doses of suboxone which i dont understand because its long half life, same reason i stopped doing my ocycontins almost a month ago for the shorter half life of roxys hopefully shortening my worst withdrawls. Can someone tell me is this a better approach then going to kratom???????? only because i could get my hands on a couple subs if better.