• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery 16 years oxy user working up plan to get off for good please help have questions

Hi tld, congratulations and you are doing great!
I did a glacial taper due to my original oxy dosage and length of time. I have no explanation as to why I experienced acute withdrawal syndrome and I was like "get me off this junk" but terrified to taper anymore.
So it's fine. I chose my way and I'm good and clean!
Showers are recommended for a reason here. I couldn't believe how great it felt. You'll be clean inside out!
Solidarity! CD

Nice !! I'd say you'd be sick by now , but w your taper and all you should be good !
Lyrica is a godsend for where you're at , I used / have gabapentin and it was amazing to me how easy it made it all - funky energy it gives you huh ? Seemed to make music " connect " strongly , esp like some old 80's song I hadn't heard in years or some good ol' Crüe .....
Hope your day is going well chief , watch your emotions - they will come roaring back over the next few mos. so keep your chin up and keep them on the positive side - and when you don't feel like doing anything , get out and do something !!
Muchlove man , I'm smiling for you big time !!

Hi Bro! this is my 3rd time had to rewrite this post dam server got me twice, bro lyrica and clonidine and some weed brownies kept all symptoms at bay.
Actually i was blown away by how it gave me energy the first day i took 750mgs lyrica the first day and doubled my clonodine dose and the brownies.
I was actually tripping a little when i went for walk with my pandora blasting on my headphones hell yeah some ol crue, ozzie, maiden, tool, SOD, all kinds of great metal.
So far my emotions have been all happy overly happy hopefully i can keep it that way, just the fact i have no cravings at all gives me lots of hope.
Hope all is good with you brotha thanks love right back at ya bro!

Hi tld, congratulations and you are doing great!
I did a glacial taper due to my original oxy dosage and length of time. I have no explanation as to why I experienced acute withdrawal syndrome and I was like "get me off this junk" but terrified to taper anymore.
So it's fine. I chose my way and I'm good and clean!
Showers are recommended fora reason here. I couldn't believe how great it felt. You'll be clean inside out!
Solidarity! CD

Hi CD, I typed a whole thing back to you yesterday and lost whole thing cause of server! Holy shit hot as hell and i can feel every drop in shower hitting me so dam good!!.
I know the long taper wasnt for you but im here to say i started at 2 80mgs oxys a day with 4 30mgs roxys and when i finished my taper i was splitting a 15mg roxy in half for whole day!
And with taken lots of supplements as i tapered especially DLPA, and L-Tyrosine. I trully believe towards the end of taper when i would be in withdrawals three hours before
each next dose without cheating early i was starting to fill some of my own mu receptors naturally. I probably could have jumped at 15mgs dose 30mgs for day instead of 15mgs for day and could have delt with it.
Because it was a walk in the park NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL well except for erratic sleep and after taking 3 immodium pills first day in prepration all it did was plug me up till this morning (my god!) i'll leave it at that and thanks for the soft toilet paper tip. I just came up from basement after lifting free weights i did a full chest workout (i was very nervous) but with headphones on did a great workout!. Headphones have been very important throughout my ears are actually getting sore from wearing them but they HELP so much, then i read three times this morning that headphones will stimulate the release of dopamine I agree. Between getting your dose down to 15mgs but could be easily 30mgs a day then jumping to high dose lyrica (i didnt go over 750mgs a day) and yesterday all i did was 300mgs today combined with a good dose of clonodine was painless oh weed brownies were important too! no rls actually it might kick in when i stop lyrica actually my legs hurt more on ops than lyrica but im not stayin on it! I feel like i have been reborn after 2 decades on opiates! never felt better no cravings at all i thank God! and im not religious but i gotta say i am now. best CD Solidarity!
23.gif

Last edited:
Hi CD, I typed a whole thing back to you yesterday and lost whole thing cause of server! Holy shit hot as hell and i can feel every drop in shower hitting me so dam good!!.
I know the long taper wasnt for you but im here to say i started at 2 80mgs oxys a day with 4 30mgs roxys and when i finished my taper i was splitting a 15mg roxy in half for whole day!
And with taken lots of supplements as i tapered especially DLPA, and L-Tyrosine. I trully believe towards the end of taper when i would be in withdrawals three hours before
each next dose without cheating early i was starting to fill some of my own mu receptors naturally. I probably could have jumped at 15mgs dose 30mgs for day instead of 15mgs for day and could have delt with it.
Because it was a walk in the park NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL well except for erratic sleep and after taking 3 immodium pills first day in prepration all it did was plug me up till this morning (my god!) i'll leave it at that and thanks for the soft toilet paper tip. I just came up from basement after lifting free weights i did a full chest workout (i was very nervous) but with headphones on did a great workout!. Headphones have been very important throughout my ears are actually getting sore from wearing them but they HELP so much, then i read three times this morning that headphones will stimulate the release of dopamine I agree. Between getting your dose down to 15mgs but could be easily 30mgs a day then jumping to high dose lyrica (i didnt go over 750mgs a day) and yesterday all i did was 300mgs today combined with a good dose of clonodine was painless oh weed brownies were important too! no rls actually it might kick in when i stop lyrica actually my legs hurt more on ops than lyrica but im not stayin on it! I feel like i have been reborn after 2 decades on opiates! never felt better no cravings at all i thank God! and im not religious but i gotta say i am now. best CD Solidarity!
23.gif
Hi tld,
I feel you on the servers and message loss!
Showers are heaven. It's been mentioned by many but you have to experience it for yourself.
And I did taper a lot, over 25%, though nothing near your doses. My type of cancer is recognized as excruciating by educated doctors (some are just idiots). But somehow I hit a wall that I wasn't going to hit again!
I referred you to someone else about supplements because I don't know a lot about them. What I do know is that , if possible to obtain , Lyrica/gabapentin and clonidine beat supplements! :)
I think erratic sleep is unavoidable because for you clonidine doesn't put you to sleep. I used to put half of a .1 in my mouth and it was over.
I took one immodium and quite honestly could have done without it. 3? I'd still be waiting. Happy my advice on TP worked out. I felt it was neglected here. :D
This is weird! I have my headphones out and music on and sore ears too! I don't usually do that! Hmmm...
I'm ecstatic your taper is going so well. After all your hard work tapering you deserve an easy one.
Stay strong! I'm here in happy solidarity! CD

^I meant your DISCONTINUATION! I couldn't be happier for you.

LOL i figured u meant that Day 5 clean and im at work i feel pretty good yesterday i went to jamba juice and got a wheat grass shot and a healthy green drink its all about building my own dopamine and endorphins time to fill my receptors naturally and as fast as i can. And i will never judge you with what you have gone thru i cant imagine going thru cancer then dealing with stopping oxy with all that pain. I actually notice my back not hurting more now than when i was on meds. Best CD

Great! I was wondering about underlying pain. Thanks for the kind words although you tapered tough! I'm so happy and proud you faced your anxiety and did it anyway. Solidarity! CD

Great! I was wondering about underlying pain. Thanks for the kind words although you tapered tough! I'm so happy and proud you faced your anxiety and did it anyway. Solidarity! CD

Actually my disc problems in my back dont hurt anymore now than on ops but my feet nerve pain is real bad! im gonna get some topical relief at rite aid tommorow im thinking aspercream with lidicaine any suggestions. thanks CD btw im getting sick of these multiple rapid sneezing attacks dam when do they stop!

Last edited:
Hi tld,
I have to say depends on the type of pain. Oddly enough Lyrica is a prescription treatment for neuropathic peripheral pain.
I think you're starting at exactly the right place.
Another option is a capsaicin cream. I personally don't like them as I have the pickiest skin. I find the burning sensation unpleasant.
But!! The issue with OTC Aspercreme (topical trolomine salicylate, an NSAID) with lidocaine (topical analgesic) is that they are both low dosage and topical as opposed to treating neurogenic pain (in this case peripheral nerves) systemically.
I would start with that, move up to a prescription topical if ineffective before trying meds. No more pills, right?
Haha I'm still sneezing with occasionally runny nose. Thank goodness I have soft, quilted tissue.
Is the feet pain new?
Stay strong, CD

Last edited:
Can I ask what is lyrica and gabapentin?

Lastdose, I finally had a chance to check out your thread. Amazing story here!! Super happy for you and you are doing swell....keep it up!

Also, I have 5 diazepim(sp?) And some .25 alazopram..... I truly feel like it would help my bf right now while he is cold turkey coming off the heavy fentanyl abuse. He's really irritable, can't sleep...refuses to shower. He agreed with me the shower would feel awesome but he's afraid of getting out and the air hitting his skin. Man this stuff must truly suck. I can only imagine as I've never give through this personally. But that's my main reason for bluelight, educate myself to understand him and not question things. I'm extremely proud of my bf for his braveNess. His mother went in his room, took his truck keys, phone and wallet.... he realized the phone was gone and hes super pissed. I understand why she did it, but I feel like since he admitted this on his own and had his keys and phone for the past 2 days that he truly wants to quit aND he could have left at any time prior to her taking them. That's between them I suppose. She's doing alot if tough love, which is needed. I'm squishy n soft and a huge empathizer ..... so I guess here and I are balancing each other out.

Can I ask what is lyrica and gabapentin?

Lastdose, I finally had a chance to check out your thread. Amazing story here!! Super happy for you and you are doing swell....keep it up!

Also, I have 5 diazepim(sp?) And some .25 alazopram..... I truly feel like it would help my bf right now while he is cold turkey coming off the heavy fentanyl abuse. He's really irritable, can't sleep...refuses to shower. He agreed with me the shower would feel awesome but he's afraid of getting out and the air hitting his skin. Man this stuff must truly suck. I can only imagine as I've never give through this personally. But that's my main reason for bluelight, educate myself to understand him and not question things. I'm extremely proud of my bf for his braveNess. His mother went in his room, took his truck keys, phone and wallet.... he realized the phone was gone and hes super pissed. I understand why she did it, but I feel like since he admitted this on his own and had his keys and phone for the past 2 days that he truly wants to quit aND he could have left at any time prior to her taking them. That's between them I suppose. She's doing alot if tough love, which is needed. I'm squishy n soft and a huge empathizer ..... so I guess here and I are balancing each other out.

Hi broken let me start by saying you are much more than squishy n soft and a huge empathizer you are a strong and good woman just to stay strong for him and doing the research lots of people would rather walk away not be able to handle this crisis. Lyrica is called pregabapentin and nuerontin is gabapentin lyrica is the big brother stronger than gabapentin either he will need to take in high doses. If you can get him either it will relieve up to 80% of acute withdrawal its a godsend along with clonodine its very important especially if he has high blood pressure because as you ween your bp rises. When i went to my reg doc that i hadnt seen in ten years my bp was 185/105 because i was near the end of my ween he had no problem giving me clonidine which is a bp med and works great for wd. I asked for lyrica and methcrabanol its a muscle relaxer which i never needed, if he has a reg doc they normally will understand your and give you these meds. The suppy of benzepines will help too, i can understand why he doesnt want to shower he is in strong acute wd days from now the hot shower will be a godsend. I dont know if you have access to weed but i had my wife make me some weed brownies and the first 4 days its all i ate i washed it down with gaterade. Becareful with tough love because during wd state of mind is important very easy to lose it. best of luck ps sorry i didnt have time to spell check

Actually my disc problems in my back dont hurt anymore now than on ops but my feet nerve pain is real bad! im gonna get some topical relief at rite aid tommorow im thinking aspercream with lidicaine any suggestions. thanks CD btw im getting sick of these multiple rapid sneezing attacks dam when do they stop!

Omg he started crazy sneezing yesterday!!!didn't know this would be part of it.

Curious why this happens!

Thank you for the positive words. He did tell her "plz don't make me not want to be here, cuz I'll end up doing something stupid " backup plan, if he can't deal with her,I'll take my vacation time (once again) while he gets clean at my house.

Hi tld,
I have to say depends on the type of pain. Oddly enough Lyrica is a prescription treatment for neuropathic peripheral pain.
I think you're starting at exactly the right place.
Another option is a capsaicin cream. I personally don't like them as I have the pickiest skin. I find the burning sensation unpleasant.
But!! The issue with OTC Aspercreme (topical trolomine salicylate, an NSAID) with lidocaine (topical analgesic) is that they are both low dosage and topical as opposed to treating neurogenic pain (in this case peripheral nerves) systemically.
I would start with that, move up to a prescription topical if ineffective before trying meds. No more pills, right?
Haha I'm still sneezing with occasionally runny nose. Thank goodness I have soft, quilted tissue.
Is the feet pain new?
Stay strong, CD

Hi CD, i actually use to get nuerontin from my pain man. for nerve pain with my feet i was on it for around 7 months then i stopped filling script i wasnt getting much relief and i didnt want another addiction.
The lyrica when i was high dosing it during acute actually made my feet feel better than oxy did. So last night really sucked bad i got one hour of sleep dam insomnia and feet pain, i went to work late i stopped at rite aid and got some aspercreme with lidocaine it worked ok but i dont know if it will hold up at night when my feet hurt the most. Yes no more pills!!!! i'll find something that works im still sneezing too usually six in a row fast then runny nose i can deal with it all cause there aint no pill bottle in my pocket! thanks for info CD Best! PS when i was on bluelight not sleeping last night at 3 in morning eastern time zone i seen you were on too not sleeping good yet too?

Omg he started crazy sneezing yesterday!!!didn't know this would be part of it.

Curious why this happens!

Thank you for the positive words. He did tell her "plz don't make me not want to be here, cuz I'll end up doing something stupid " backup plan, if he can't deal with her,I'll take my vacation time (once again) while he gets clean at my house.

Yes the sneezing and viscous yahning is normal and runny nose too. During acute withdrawals mind set is important and a safe place a good feeling its hard enough as it is keep an eye on his blood pressure. best of luck!

Hi CD, i actually use to get nuerontin from my pain man. for nerve pain with my feet i was on it for around 7 months then i stopped filling script i wasnt getting much relief and i didnt want another addiction.
The lyrica when i was high dosing it during acute actually made my feet feel better than oxy did. So last night really sucked bad i got one hour of sleep dam insomnia and feet pain, i went to work late i stopped at rite aid and got some aspercreme with lidocaine it worked ok but i dont know if it will hold up at night when my feet hurt the most. Yes no more pills!!!! i'll find something that works im still sneezing too usually six in a row fast then runny nose i can deal with it all cause there aint no pill bottle in my pocket! thanks for info CD Best! PS when i was on bluelight not sleeping last night at 3 in morning eastern time zone i seen you were on too not sleeping good yet too?

We're in complete agreement (as usual!) that Lyrica/gabapentin are very different in terms of effectiveness in different situations (like showers- in withdrawal I'd use all the hot water in the world!). I was actually reluctant to try gabapentin during withdrawals because it didn't do anything for me as prescribed (basically just like you!). Lyrica didn't do anything in that case either. Oh the lesson I learned.

Have you tried a capsaicin cream? I don't want to talk you out of it, but for me it didn't work well. Capsaicin is what makes peppers hot and my guess is that a burning sensation isn't what you're looking for! But a lot of people swear by it.
I would move up to a prescription topical. I have used adhesive lidocaine pads (Rx only) and they helped a lot at the time for their purpose. I'm not recommending them for you, just that a prescription topical can be really helpful due to higher dosages as well as have multiple meds that help.
A lot of this information came from researching peripheral diabetic neuropathy (not my field of expertise but I'd been asked by a friend not so long ago, so I did my homework). Fortunately (or unfortunately) it applies to most peripheral nerve pain and topicals come in many flavors.

I'm a rabid insomniac. There's nothing natural or synthetic that works except clonidine (or non-FDA approved levels of meds and they don't give "good sleep" just drugged sleep) which is why I researched long and short term clonidine use and worried about you! Watch that rebound bp!
I hope you find some feet relief!
Oh, and don't quote me (totally unscientific post) but I remember reading that since opiates selectively inhibit secretions (e.g., dry mouth) that in withdrawal it's your body dealing with all that new mucus. I'm not sure I'm buying, but sneezing is very common. Congestion less so but not uncommon.
Go get yourself some relief, ok? I don't want us to have solidarity in lifelong insomnia!
Best of everything! CD

Last edited:
Yes the sneezing and viscous yahning is normal and runny nose too. During acute withdrawals mind set is important and a safe place a good feeling its hard enough as it is keep an eye on his blood pressure. best of luck!

Will not let us so bp check, i think he should. We tried last night.

As for the showers, he thinks the warm water is great sounding but dearly fears getting out and the ac hitting him. We are in florida and it's in the 80s.I'm going to keep trying. At least if he gets out if the bed long enough to shower I can change the sheets!

Broken,
I am starting day six of a taper down to only 15mg oxycodone and I am so afraid to shower as well. It is only in the low 30 here so I dread feeling more cold chills. At least I am not going back to full dosing... as long as he stay clean from drugs... all is good. Pick your battles. God bless you and your bf~

Broken, if you can coax him into the shower, he will thank you for it. I dreaded it and when I finally HAD to it was amazing! But I agree with P0kemama, which is why I use the word coax. Gently coax!

Last edited:
Broken,
I am starting day six of a taper down to only 15mg oxycodone and I am so afraid to shower as well. It is only in the low 30 here so I dread feeling more cold chills. At least I am not going back to full dosing... as long as he stay clean from drugs... all is good. Pick your battles. God bless you and your bf~

Pok what dose did start at 6 days ago if you been weening down and now to only 15mgs you will kick it in the ass like i did almost no withdrawals