• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Permanently slowed bpm due to opiates?

Inside_Out13

Greenlighter
Well first off, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum and feel free to move it. Well lately, I've been doing more opiates than usual and I've found that my bpm has been significantly lower (when I'm no longer on any substance.) I have a Fitbit that monitors my heart rate pretty well. Lately, my heart rate has been in the mid 40-50s, whereas is used to stay pretty much in the low 70s while at rest. Also, I'm pretty young too so maybe the opiates are permanently affecting my heart in some ways? Basically, should I be concerned about this?

Im not sure about the science behind all of this, but i usually see my heart rate increase when on opiates/opioids of any sort. Also, a low heart rate (to a degree) is a good thing, it means that your heart is working less to get blood to the rest of your body. A low heart rate is usually indicative of a healthy individual. By "low", i mean 40's and 50's. Lower than that, and you could have some serious issues

That's bad dude... I don't know if it's specifically from your use, but a bpm of 40-50 is lowwwwww. Dangerously low. I would seek medical attention if I were you man. Stay safe, and feel better /:

Yeah, for real man... OP get yourself to the ER. I have NEVER heard of anyone under the age of 70 having a bpm so low (without a pre-existing condition)... be honest with the doctors about your use. Get to the bottom of this and do anything you can do stabilize your bpm. I have been through this, just in the opposite way. From a year of extreme speed abuse I developed hypertension...when I first went to the hospital my bpm was 170...I am seriously concerned.

Last edited:
Yeah, for real man... OP get yourself to the ER. I have NEVER heard of anyone under the age of 70 having a bpm so low (without a pre-existing condition)... be honest with the doctors about your use. Get to the bottom of this and do anything you can do stabilize your bpm. I have been through this, just in the opposite way. From a year of extreme speed abuse I developed hypertension...when I first went to the hospital my bpm was 170...I am seriously concerned.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I really appreciate it. But, I was wondering if my opiate use (along with occasional benzo use) could have made me develop bradycardia? I mean, I feel fine physically and I still live with parents who don't know about my drug use, so I would really like to avoid a trip to the ER:/

I don't know if benzos are your problem, as I am perscribed 3 different benzos that I take everyday... (kpin,Valium,Ativan). And my bp is always always high.. but man I would just tell your parents you feel "off" sell it..but you don't need to tell them alll the details..just make sure you tell the doctors all the details. Maybe try and find another ride there? I've been where you are man..and I can tell you whatever small fears I had about pissing off my parents, or getting kicked out of their home, wasn't SHIT compared to the medical ailments that followed..

thats crazy low man. i know one of my friends, he's 22 years old and his bpm is something like 70 but he trains for the Olympics and stuff so he's super, super fit - thats the only thing i could think of that might be related but yeah as speedmagic said man best get yourself to the hospital - and please don't drive yourself cause with a bpm that low you'#re liable to faint any time.

That's a dangerous level man, go see a doctor. I can tell you it is an underlying condition and not from opiates, unless you are on them when monitoring your BPM. I am a pharmacology major and never have I heard of any cases of opiates affecting your heart rate like that. I could be wrong, but still get to a doctor ASAP.

Im not sure what the issue is here? my heart rate is consistently in the mid 50s. Do the research, many people who are very healthy have lower heart rates. obviously high 30s and low 40s might be something to worry about, but anywhere between 45-60 is very normal for a physically active adult