• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Advice needed on microdosing Psilocybin / Mushrooms?

Replenish-Rewire

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I have been thinking about microdosing magic mushrooms for some time now in attempt to try and wake my brain up a little and start to overcome the anxiety and trauma issues I am dealing with. I have been in therapy for years, tried numerous anti-depressants and a huge number of other things but I feel I do need something extra to hopefully aid me in moving forward.

Can anyone advise me which type of mushrooms would be best for micro dosing?

I have searched online and read lots on the subject but never really find specifically which mushroom is recommended. Just that it is usually Psilocybin. Would this mean that any Psilocybin mushroom would be ok?

If anyone has any advice on dosage, their experience in doing this and what they would recommend I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't advise you about mushrooms specifically, but I microdosed a 50/50 mixture of 4-AcO-DMT (related to psilocybin) and 4-HO-MET for a little while. I would take 2 milligrams at a time, so 1000 ug of each. I had some really energizing, productive days during that period, but after awhile, it started to wear me down, and I was feeling a bit batty, so I had to stop. The final conclusion was that I prefer to wait for an occasional full-blown trip, rather than microdosing.

Anyway, you might like it, so go for it, and tell us what happens! :)

Anything is fine, but I'd go for something that isn't too hard to grow. If you really want to get in to the nuts and bolts then maybe a species with a high psilocybin content as opposed to a high psilocin content, since psilocybin lasts a bit longer.

Also do you have a plan for what you're going to do once you start the micro-dosing regimen? I mean, I only have experience with LSD micro-dosing, but it's not going to make you feel good like some wonder pill. But it can help you find a place for the things you are dealing with, if you have an outlet to do so. Maybe you like to get creative or do sports or whatever, as long as you have something to work on it's fine. If you're like me inside doing nothing, hoping the regimen will make you want to get out of bed, then it's not gonna do for you what you want. I'm not saying you are like me btw, just that there are many potholes to look out for when trying to self-medicate. This was my first experience with microdosing and it was a let down.

Maybe not talk with your therapist directly that you're looking to micro-dose, but you could always talk about certain actions you need to take to improve your well-being (which will improve the way you deal with your other problems), and then work on that. See it as some sort of self-help bootcamp. Also, try to be super healthy at that time (really think about what you eat), and maybe meditate at the end of the day.

Magic mushrooms are high anxiety for a lot of people, so they are probably not your best choice. Look into 4-HO-MET. 5mg is a good, safe place to start.

flammarion-c1.jpg

I actually told my therapist that I've been microdosing LSD and she encouraged me to continue doing so. She discourages marijuana usage though, which I find odd.

Anything is fine, but I'd go for something that isn't too hard to grow. If you really want to get in to the nuts and bolts then maybe a species with a high psilocybin content as opposed to a high psilocin content, since psilocybin lasts a bit longer.

Also do you have a plan for what you're going to do once you start the micro-dosing regimen? I mean, I only have experience with LSD micro-dosing, but it's not going to make you feel good like some wonder pill. But it can help you find a place for the things you are dealing with, if you have an outlet to do so. Maybe you like to get creative or do sports or whatever, as long as you have something to work on it's fine. If you're like me inside doing nothing, hoping the regimen will make you want to get out of bed, then it's not gonna do for you what you want. I'm not saying you are like me btw, just that there are many potholes to look out for when trying to self-medicate. This was my first experience with microdosing and it was a let down.

Maybe not talk with your therapist directly that you're looking to micro-dose, but you could always talk about certain actions you need to take to improve your well-being (which will improve the way you deal with your other problems), and then work on that. See it as some sort of self-help bootcamp. Also, try to be super healthy at that time (really think about what you eat), and maybe meditate at the end of the day.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I would say I probably am like you and inside doing nothing a lot of the time. I do get out most days to go to the gym and I play a bit of sport once or twice a week now but apart from that I don't do a lot due to being out of work from the anxiety and stress issues.

So I guess I don't really have a plan no. I was hoping to start Microdosing and get back out there doing a few more things and hopefully get some benefits from the mushrooms at the same time. I am just so vacant minded these days, I am always seem like i'm on auto pilot state and I have no idea where my life is going and no idea what to do with myself, I think its partly a subconscious way of not thinking about anything to protect myself from the constant anxiety and I thought microdosing might help to take me out of this subdued state.

Magic mushrooms are high anxiety for a lot of people, so they are probably not your best choice. Look into 4-HO-MET. 5mg is a good, safe place to start.

flammarion-c1.jpg

Thanks. I have no idea what that is or where I would get it from. I will have to have a look into it.

If I am looking for something to help me deal with some deep routed emotional issues but also get my brain firing and 'awake' working a bit better again, would this be suitable?

Also can anyone tell me if I need a dehydrator to dry the mushrooms or is ok to let them dry out slowly under a fan or something?

flammarion-c1.jpg

I like that picture, where's it from?

SEAN107 said:
I actually told my therapist that I've been microdosing LSD and she encouraged me to continue doing so. She discourages marijuana usage though, which I find odd.

Interesting that your therapist gave the LSD a thumbs up. I'm not surprised she discourages the MJ, I think a lot of mental heath pros have seen a lot of people get into problems with MJ - delusional thinking, paranoia, loss of motivation. Not dissing MJ, I've used it more than any PD, but it does have a dark side. I've definitely seen MJ as a negative force in friends' lives who went too far into the deep end.

Replenish-Rewire said:
Also can anyone tell me if I need a dehydrator to dry the mushrooms or is ok to let them dry out slowly under a fan or something?

Depends how long you want your mushrooms to keep for. If you completely remove all traces of moisture, they will have a much longer shelf life. When I lived in a really dry climate, I dried mushrooms out using a fan first, and then a final stage in a container filled with dessicant (careful not to let the mushrooms touch the dessicant). This completely removed all water from them as far as I could tell. If you use a dehydrator, make sure it doesn't use heat as psilocybin is a really fragile molecule that gets degraded under heat.

Depends how long you want your mushrooms to keep for. If you completely remove all traces of moisture, they will have a much longer shelf life. When I lived in a really dry climate, I dried mushrooms out using a fan first, and then a final stage in a container filled with dessicant (careful not to let the mushrooms touch the dessicant). This completely removed all water from them as far as I could tell. If you use a dehydrator, make sure it doesn't use heat as psilocybin is a really fragile molecule that gets degraded under heat.

Thanks. I would probably want to be keeping the mushrooms for a couple of months due to micro dosing. Would they last that long if fully dried? How long would they usually last? Also when people talk of contamination and mold on there mushroom grows, does this mean they are dangerous to eat or just useless?

You should definitely discard mushrooms that have had mould or contamination growing on the medium or on the mushrooms. It might seem like a tragedy to waste it, but there are some really toxic moulds out there that you really don't want to put in your body - for example some species of aspergillus produce aflatoxins which is highly carcinogenic to your liver. Even if the mould is on the mycelium and not on the mushroom, it should all be pitched because the whole fungus is a network that can transport these toxins around.

If you dry out the mushrooms to a crisp, they should last a couple of months easily. Keep them stored in a perfectly dark, cool and dry place and they'll be good.

You can't really trust a therapist's opinion one way or the other. They have a vested interest in making you feel better about yourself, because you pay their salary.

You can't really trust a therapist's opinion one way or the other. They have a vested interest in making you feel better about yourself, because you pay their salary.

That's quite pessimistic. The lady my sister and I work with absolutely has a vested interest in our well beings, not because of salary, but because of being a seeker as well. A fellow human on the path of self-actualization and truth.

Given, the lady we work with is nothing like traditional Western social workers / psychologists / therapists.

My point is, don't assume. If the therapist is telling them not to smoke, but that microdosing LSD is ok, my initial inclination would be that she's pretty alright.

I agree with the Kid, just research and find a vigorous species that is easy to grow. I had good luck with Golden Teachers, but do your own research.
I have grown 5 or 6 different strains and never noticed any appreciable difference in potency from one to the next.
I have heard that Penis Envy can run a little stronger than most, but are also more difficult to grow, but I have never grown them myself and can't speak from experience.

Oh BTW, Psilocin and psilocybin are basically one and the same, at least as far as your brain goes.
Psilocybin is a prodrug that is converted to psilocin in the body so one doesn't last any longer than the other.

I have experiece using 4-aco-dmt to micro-dose. I did consider mushrooms, but the aco-dmt is loads cheaper and easier to control exact doses so I went for that.
Been a couple of months now and my judgement so far is that is can sometimes help me feel more motivated, less depressed and less anxious, but other times not so much and it's only temporary for me. Overall it hasn't really lifted my depression at all yet, but I do definitely still think it helps me get through the day so gonna carry on with it
I've settled on a dose of 5mg, not sure what that translates mushroomwise

^ I'm guessing 5mg 4-AcO-DMT is about as potent as 0.5g typical magic mushrooms, which for me is more than a microdose, more like a light dose.

I agree that 4-AcO-DMT would generally be easier to work with than magic mushrooms for this sort of thing, and it probably has a longer shelf life too.

I am thinking about starting to microdose shrooms as well. Mushroom season has started in my neck of the woods so with the bag full I picked the other day I will have enough to do a long term plan with this. I have read so much the last year or two about how they are so good for depression, headaches and whatever else. A microdose to me would be about a quarter gram. I plan to start next week as I have no work lined up and I'm going to start when I'm not too busy.

Has anyone else ever tried this?? I'm not depressed but I feel as if I'm not using my full potential. I'm a bit lazy and though I'm always having new ideas to improve life I very rarely get round to doing it.

This has probably been done with the "stoned ape" "crossing land bridges" theory. I dunno if anyone has seen "the martian" where he uses poop to ration small amount of potatoes, well, early humans crossing landbridges probably rationed small amounts of mushrooms as food.

Thanks. I have no idea what that is or where I would get it from. I will have to have a look into it. If I am looking for something to help me deal with some deep routed emotional issues but also get my brain firing and 'awake' working a bit better again, would this be suitable?

There is a plenty of information on Bluelight concerning this. 4-HO-MET is is a lesser-known psychedelic drug first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin that is readily available and easy to obtain. It is currently unscheduled in the United States. Seems perfect for your situation.

Last edited: