• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Avoiding psychosis with cbd oil?

kived

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, I didn't exactly know where to post this but I think I'm in the right place. Hopefully someone with an understanding of the way the brain and body works would be able to help me out. I have had drug induced psychosis twice in my life. I'm 23 and the first time it happened was almost 4 years ago. The thing that triggered it was a long period (2 years) of smoking weed and and a few times smoking spice. It put me into a deep state of paranoia, schizophrenia, crazy delusions and much more. It took me almost a year of counciling and medication to get over it. The second time it happened was last year while I was living in the Netherlands, and was triggered by smoking copious amounts of weed on the daily for 2 years and eventually after taking a lot of psychedelics like lsd, mushrooms and a host of other drugs throughout a 7 month period. In the Netherlands I was induced in a loony bin for 2 months until the delusions and hallucinations disappeared. The doctors say that I am under no circumstances allowed to take drugs again otherwise the psychosis can be permanent and i could end up in a psych ward for the rest of your life.

I've been sober for a year now, but my love for weed still hasn't died. Mostly for the pure fact that when I am high I'm much more comfortable around people, my mood is always much better and I'm not remotely as depressed as I am now. I have been doing some research of the medical effects of CBD oil and it's benefit on preventing and curing psychosis, which includes schizophrenia, bipolar, paranoia etc.

I'm very curious if I was to take cbd oil regularly and still be able to smoke weed without triggering something psychotic within myself. Would it be possible to prevent psychosis by smoking weed and taking cbd oil? It does sound like a rather dodgy solution but maybe it could work? CBD oil has proven to be very affective with treating psychosis, and many studies and experiments have been taken to back it up. But would it help in preventing psychosis while I still use weed and other drugs? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

No. That wouldnt work with cannabis. If cannabis caused the psychosis in the first place, cannabis has CBD in it and if it didnt prevent it when you were smoking, I sincerely doubt it will help. CBD had anecdotally been able to help some people with psychosis/schizophrenia but that hasn't been scientifically proven.

It is interesting to me and I plan to experiment with it on its own for my psychosis in the future.

No. That wouldnt work with cannabis. If cannabis caused the psychosis in the first place, cannabis has CBD in it and if it didnt prevent it when you were smoking, I sincerely doubt it will help. CBD had anecdotally been able to help some people with psychosis/schizophrenia but that hasn't been scientifically proven.

It is interesting to me and I plan to experiment with it on its own for my psychosis in the future.

Well the weed I had been smoking has never had a high percentage of cbd. Cbd oils are highly concentrated, so would be much more affective than smoking .. My psychosis can very well be caused from the imbalances of serotonin as well.. I just have a very hard time believing that I can't smoke and am just thinking of ideas :/ you also have psychosis?

That sounds more like you are schizophrenic and your symptoms can be triggered by cannabis/other drugs(which weed is known to do) rather than drug induced psychosis(which is usually more like what happens to anyone after not sleeping for days because you've been smoking meth/slamming coke and only lasts a short while), you should take this more seriously. Your hypothesis sounds plausible, but you should really consider whether you want to test it on yourself, and think about what could happen to you if it doesn't work.

That sounds more like you are schizophrenic and your symptoms can be triggered by cannabis/other drugs(which weed is known to do) rather than drug induced psychosis(which is usually more like what happens to anyone after not sleeping for days because you've been smoking meth/slamming coke and only lasts a short while), you should take this more seriously. Your hypothesis sounds plausible, but you should really consider whether you want to test it on yourself, and think about what could happen to you if it doesn't work.

Well I wouldn't try it on myself if I wasn't completely sure it would work, and that's why I'm asking if anyone knows if it would. I know very well the seriousness of my condition and would never want to be in that state. I'm just looking for ways to reduce the risk of triggering it again. I don't plan on become a daily smoker like before because I know two years down the line it will happen all over again, however I belive I could enjoy a few smokes a week while taking cbd regularly to drastically reduce psychosis.. It just seems plausible like you said, yet too risky without proper facts I suppose

CBD as a CB2 agonist attenuates the activity of CB1 agonist cannabinoids like THC, so it should diminish the trippiness and make you more stoned than high. Though CBD just by itself is not said to make you really all that stoned, but CBD-high weed is.

If I were you I would see if there are no alternative therapies to help your social anxieties if weed is that important for it, and if non-pharmaceuticals therapies don't really do much, see if pharmaceuticals can't help you with this so that you can get off the weed. Unfortunately most anxiolytics are not okay to take for a longer period but pregabalin is and it really helped me for quite some time although not for social anxiety but still, a form of anxiety. Recommending drugs/pharms is a bit sketchy but I'd still rather do that than focus too much on other 'options' for you.

Taking CBD may change the psychotic potential of weed (not that farfetched when it reduces the psychedelic action of cannabinoids like THC) and maybe make the high more relaxed than tense - though it could be that you get too couchlocked to really make it much of an option. The risk with all of this in my opinion is that if this seems attractive to you it could withhold you from taking steps towards actually securing your safety, because taking drugs like cannabis or psychedelics is really an unreasonably big risk if you are psychosis sensitive.
Seek help for addiction if you must, but hopefully you can get off it yourself, especially if you treat the issues you have that make you wanna take weed.

I'm a schizophrenic and smoking cannabis is the only way to avoid a psychosis for me...

also psychedelics dont affect my underlying condition at all , uppers and GABAerics do however so i have to be carefull with my drug use

That's interesting, very interesting even.. but don't you think that the fact that you have to experiment to find that out, that people react very differently and that usually weed and psychedelics exacerbate psychosis-liable disorders means that people really can't afford to self-experiment in this context?
We can even genetically screen for high sensitivity towards cannabis triggering or even causing psychosis during adolescence in people who have a certain genetic predisposal, but conversely to avoid psychosis with cannabis is atypical.

I have self-medicated and -experimented plenty and although I have found some things here and there that help my condition under certain circumstances, I really can't recommend it when mental illnesses are concerned. I don't have every mental illness there is, of course... but that is my judgment or opinion at least.

Your post is not obviously intended to be encouraging, but I felt like a side-note is in place before people interpret it that way.

"Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ(9)-THC) is the main compound of the Cannabis Sativa responsible for most of the effects of the plant. Another major constituent is cannabidiol (CBD), formerly regarded to be devoid of pharmacological activity. However, laboratory rodents and human studies have shown that this cannabinoid is able to prevent psychotic-like symptoms induced by high doses of Δ(9)- THC. Subsequent studies have demonstrated that CBD has antipsychotic effects as observed using animal models and in healthy volunteers. Thus, this article provides a critical review of the research evaluating antipsychotic potential of this cannabinoid. CBD appears to have pharmacological profile similar to that of atypical antipsychotic drugs as seem using behavioral and neurochemical techniques in animal models. Additionally, CBD prevented human experimental psychosis and was effective in open case reports and clinical trials in patients with schizophrenia with a remarkable safety profile. Moreover, fMRI results strongly suggest that the antipsychotic effects of CBD in relation to the psychotomimetic effects of Δ(9)-THC involve the striatum and temporal cortex that have been traditionally associated with psychosis. Although the mechanisms of the antipsychotic properties are still not fully understood, we propose a hypothesis that could have a heuristic value to inspire new studies. These results support the idea that CBD may be a future therapeutic option in psychosis, in general and in schizophrenia, in particular."

Source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22716160

With regard to these sorts of mental health problems, different people may have different biological causes of their condition. Therefore, some people with a diagnosis will react one way to a drug, whereas others with the same diagnosis will react differently. It appears that your problems have been triggered by drugs, and therefore you should avoid them. Taking drugs but also taking a supplement that appears to have helped some people as an antipsychotic is not necessarily going to prevent a psychotic episode triggered by drugs (or cannabis). It appears that all drugs (including cannabis) have a negative effect on your mental health and with the goal of avoiding becoming psychotic again, you should abstain from drugs entirely.

With regard to these sorts of mental health problems, different people may have different biological causes of their condition. Therefore, some people with a diagnosis will react one way to a drug, whereas others with the same diagnosis will react differently. It appears that your problems have been triggered by drugs, and therefore you should avoid them. Taking drugs but also taking a supplement that appears to have helped some people as an antipsychotic is not necessarily going to prevent a psychotic episode triggered by drugs (or cannabis). It appears that all drugs (including cannabis) have a negative effect on your mental health and with the goal of avoiding becoming psychotic again, you should abstain from drugs entirely.

This. If anything, CBD oil on it's own as THC seems to trigger your psychosis and we don't know what amount or if any amount of CBD would completely counteract the psychogenic effects of THC.

Am I the only one that raised a spock-eyebrow when reading 'preventing psychosis in rodent studies'?

How the hell does one tell if a rat believes it's the furry plagueriddled little avatar of rat-jesus, sent on a mission by the Horned Rat to slaughter all its little furry plagueriddled neighbors for the sin of coveting theine next-sewer-neighbor's bigger, more expensive, upmarket storm drain?

*iiiek ikk ik squeek! I have a wider toilet bowl to climb up than you d....*stabstabstabstabstab*.....*

Am I the only one that raised a spock-eyebrow when reading 'preventing psychosis in rodent studies'?

How the hell does one tell if a rat believes it's the furry plagueriddled little avatar of rat-jesus, sent on a mission by the Horned Rat to slaughter all its little furry plagueriddled neighbors for the sin of coveting theine next-sewer-neighbor's bigger, more expensive, upmarket storm drain?

*iiiek ikk ik squeek! I have a wider toilet bowl to climb up than you d....*stabstabstabstabstab*.....*

There are animal models of psychosis. In other words, there are ways to systematically categorize and correlate an animal's behavior with its internal state. Here is a wikipedia article which can probably give you better info than I can :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_model_of_schizophrenia#Behavioural_traits