Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DXM 600mg - Experienced

Intghrn

Greenlighter
I consumed 600 mg of cough gels containing 1 active ingredient. DXM. I consumed all gels within fifteen minutes. One hour into my trip I begin to feel a heavy alcohol like buzz. Knowing previous experiences (300 mg, I am very skinny) I decided I should get home before the trip sets in. Thirty minutes later I feel like my legs are moving on there own in a robotic feeling motion. I remember listening to some old hip hop and my head automatically bumped to it. My body was numb and I sat down to watch tv. It felt like I teleported from standing to the couch . Almost like blackouts but indescribably different. I remember leaning into the couch as far as I could because it was tipping foward. . 3 hours into the trip I drew what came to mind then proceeded to pace (a bad anxious habit of mine) with longer periods of what now are mini blackouts . I goto the hospital and they say I'm close to seizure. Needless to say I'm never using DXM again

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_dxm
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_inexperienced
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, I'm confused, why did you end up going to the hospital? It seems like things were going relatively normally based on your description of the experience leading up to that point.

I started to get EXTREMLY pale and numb. I was blacking out to the point I would be in a room an d the next second end up in another room. They told me my blood pressure was I think high(I don't remember) and close to a seizure . I also had thoughts I was going to die and I was just freaking out

Ah, I see. Well, I'm glad that you're okay, and I'm certainly no medical professional, but I have to say, I don't think you were actually in any real danger.

The paleness and high blood pressure you describe are actually just normal side effects of DXM. I'm not sure what causes the paleness, but it's not dangerous. As for the high blood pressure, that obviously would be bad if you had it all the time, but for the duration of one DXM trip it's not really damaging; many common recreational drugs, including the classic psychedelics, cause a rise in blood pressure, but it's not considered a significant risk factor except with heavy abuse or in people who already have cardiovascular issues.

As for the numbness and the blackouts, those are actually just a part of the intended recreational effects of DXM. They would be better described as dissociation, the numbness being a partial disconnect from your bodily senses, and the blackouts being a total disconnect so that you don't even realize you're still moving around while you're lost in thought, causing the sensation of just spontaneously appearing at different places around the house. These effects can be quite intense especially for someone not used to or expecting them, but again, they're not dangerous, at least not beyond the risk of injuring yourself somehow and not noticing because you're too out of it to feel anything.

With regards to the freaking out and thinking you're going to die, that's a pretty common reaction to almost any strong mind-altering experience that either wasn't expected or just isn't being handled well psychologically. In addition, DXM has a stimulating effect for many, and that can really make a panicked mindset even worse. I won't tell you that if you try it again you'll enjoy it, because it's honestly heavy enough that a lot of people don't even when they feel safe on it, but you should know at least that DXM on its own and when not abused has very little risk. It can be uncomfortable, yes, but not usually dangerous.

Finally, about the doctor, again I not a medical expert, and in almost any other situation I should say absolutely you should listen to your doctor, but when it comes to coming in on drugs afraid that you're dying, I would caution to take everything they say with a grain of salt. Even doctors spout a lot of completely false information about recreational drugs based either on ignorance or trying to convince you that drugs are bad for you. In this case, especially considering what substance it is, I could definitely see them trying to scare you off of it by telling you were "close to" a seizure, even if there was still no risk of you actually completely having one.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. Not that under-researched chemicals are necessarily better, but if you are interested in finding some more worthwhile dissociatives I would recommend doing some more research on the current analogue scene, like the arylcyclohexylamines. Since those started coming around I've barely even heard anyone mention DXM compared to before.