chance of survival?

deepbluesea1

Greenlighter
I was at a friends house the other day and he took a 2mg xanax bar, drank, and snorted two full oxycontin 30mg pills. A little while after he passed out, was still breathing but I could see his pulse through his neck, and his heart was beating very fast. On the contrary his breathing was very slow, but according to other friends he gets like that every single time he takes stuff. When we left we put him on his side in recovery position, as this has happened many many times before, so nothing was really out of the "ordinary". The next day no one had heard from him so I went to check on him at his house, I found him in his bed, still in the same position but he was breathing. After sitting there trying to wake him up for 5 minutes, I opened his eyes which had pin point pupils, and noticed some liquid (didn't really look like vomit) coming out of his mouth and on his bed. He then started moaning every single time while taking a breath, so I brought him to the hospital. According to them he developed a pneumonia overnight from breathing in fluid (assuming he might have thrown up), he still hasn't woken up and its been two days. What do you think his chances of coming out of this are?

If he has aspirated vomit that's caused pneumonia he could have been deprived of sufficient oxygen for quite some time. This can cause what's called a hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy which sadly carries a very poor prognosis in situations like this. If he has been in a coma for two days that's not a good prognostic indicator. I'm really sorry :( The hospital should be doing a CT scan of his brain to check if there has been any injury, until they do there's not any way to be sure.

You did all the right things so please don't blame yourself.

Thank heavens you went and checked on him and got him to a hospital. That sounds horrible.

His situation is dire but it is possible he will pull through this. In serious medical situation I prefer to err on the side of positivity as unexplainably I feel like the patient can sense the positive energy and it helps them. Of course none of what I wrote is based in science so take it for what it's worth.

While certain behaviours are common for some people, I think there needs to be change where if somebody passes out they are not left alone...either someone stays or emergency services are called. The combo your friend to is so very common and so very dangerous. I hope everyone reading this reconsiders their response when confronted with ansimilar situation for the sake of harm reduction.

I agree with herbavore - he was very lucky indeed you went to check on him.

A friend of mine who had over a year clean from heroin relapsed about a week ago... he overdosed and aspirated his vomit, luckily survived, but is still in the hospital. His dad found him just in time, though I'm not sure if he was comatose or put in a coma. If it isn't medically induced the situation is more critical, but a full recovery isn't unheard of. You definitely did the right thing; at this point it's out of your hands. praying for your friend, I hope he makes it through. ):

in regards to him being left alone, this is very common behavior for him, especially to sleep the entire next day. someone did sleep at his house with him and noticed that he was breathing (nothing seemed wrong) when he left in the morning. when no one had heard from him around 6 the next day is when i decided to go check up on him. he wasn't left alone through the night when we were left to believe the worst of it had happened

Hope he gets better. Good, that you came back. <3 Ethanol is a serious drug (therapeutic index is rather shitty), especially in combination.

he's still in a coma, doctors say it's basically a 50/50 chance if he wakes up, and if he does wake up there's a great chance he will have significant brain damage

Ugh, I'm so sorry for everyone concerned. Sometimes, a tragedy like this can have ripple effects to change an entire group of friends. This happened from the death of my son. It was very hard for me to watch his group of friends take stock of their lives and move away from the risky behavior they had all engaged in together but ultimately it is a comfort to me to see them mature and go on with their lives in a healthier way.

How horrible for you all to have to go through this. This is the darkest dark side post I've read on here yet.

Keeping everything crossed that your mate pulls out of this, 50/50 is 50/50. Makes me feel so awful what I put my family through when I overdosed and they were told there was a 95% chance I wouldn't ever wake up. :/

But I did wake up and now I'm fine, so there's always hope. Big love!