• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

After spending the summer trying (and occasionally failing) to avoid spoilers I finally got around to watching Infinity War in the early hours of this morning after treating myself to a copy alongside Black Panther, having managed to cop my first smoke in weeks following the return of my ganja man to the UK.

Was naturally very satisfied as a huge fan of this series but was surprised at how straightforward it was in both terms of story and presentation, unsurprising in the first instance as it almost writes itself with the amount of plot lines it ties up after 10 years worth of films.

Yet, as I have found the art design and aesthetics of these films really becoming out of this world as 'Phase 3' has developed (beginning with the visual invention of Dr Strange through to the beauty of Black Panther), I was impressed to see how straightforward and 'classically' presented this was, with a very different feel to Joss Whedon's first 2 efforts.

I fucking fell for that one.

Tosser

Love <3

I didn't fall for that one - until I saw your post, then I just HAD to click the link. I was disgusted. In fact, I had to watch it several times in order to assess my level of disgust.

Verdict: Not disgusting enough... ;)

Hello teen, how ya doing?

Ermm ... still breathing ... kinda, sorta, almost ... <3 (Et tu? )

My recommend:

Annihilation

I bought the book a while back mainly because the cover was lush. I like to do that sometimes. If you like sci-fi, it's from The southern Reach trilogy.

NSFW:
9900d1652bb518b48900553aef19db95--books-to-buy-books-to-read.jpg

Alex Garland has adapted it for screen, and the last 20 minutes contain the most original graphics I've ever seen in a movie. The visuals are just beautiful and strange and perfect. Really interesting storyline too.

Trailer:

[video]https://youtu.be/89OP78l9oF0[/video]

Ermm ... still breathing ... kinda, sorta, almost ... <3 (Et tu? )
Meaning you're nearly over your split? Which is good.

I'm alright bar severe back pain. So bad I've only been able to semi watch Red Sparrow which once I've finished will be my next recommendation I think.

Current contents of my recycle bin is...

Blue Caprice

Y'all remember that fella who kept a kid in his trunk to shoot and randomers at petrol stations around Washington a few years back? Well this is worth watching whether you do or not. Eschewing the standard formula for such films, this one lingers longtime on the build-up to the events rather than the events themselves. Where did this people come from and why did they do what they did? How accurate this portrayal is is almost beside the point as despite being based on real events this is a far more interesting story. Ignore the surprisingly low rating on IMDB and treat yourself to a superior "true crime" flick. Almost reminded me of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer in the way it approached a somewhat similar subject. This is very much a compliment... but won't be to all tastes either.

Hereditary

Wasn't expecting too much cos there are a whole helluva lot of shitey horror films around these days... but this one was pleasingly surprising. Felt like it owed a lot more along the lines of the original Exorcist than it did to the generic horror fare of the age. Again, this is a good thing. The slow burn approach is a rare beast in these jump scare-heavy times and is done well here. Some nice nods to a number of more oldskool horrors without ever feeling like it lives in the past. Not everything works but what does works well. Definitely above average.

Prisoners

Last on my catchup of Denis Villeneuve's theatrical output and definitely not least. Fella doesn't seem to know how to make a bad film. I'm not complaining. Man's rapidly shaping up to be one of the top tier directors of his generation. Anyhoo, this would be his take on the "vigilante gone doing some revenging on some cunt" subgenre... albeit a tad more wriggly than such things usually are. Again, not a perfect film (was one of his earlier efforts) but pretty goshdarn great all the same.

Silence

I'm a sucker for religious themes, and I'm also a sucker for Martin Scorcese films. Which means I rather liked this... with some reservations. If I were a pettier man I'd say that last shot fukkin' ruined the film... but the previous three hours or so had me invested enough to let it pass. Goddamn that was a weak, weak closing shot though. Especially given the nuance shown throughout the rest of the film. Despite the rather dry history lesson nature of the plot, the performances, cinematography and sheer artistry shine through at every step of the way. The film is slow, laborious, gripping and stunning to look at. Special mention to Shinya Tsukamoto (he of Tetsuo: The Iron Man fame) for his unexpected and heartbreakingly brilliant role as a Christian prepared to be martryed for his beliefs.

Now to find me some decent horror flicks for Halloween... Any suggestions?

Meaning you're nearly over your split? Which is good.

I'm alright bar severe back pain. So bad I've only been able to semi watch Red Sparrow which once I've finished will be my next recommendation I think.

wut split?

New kids turbo this is a kinda 'sex lives of the potato men', ' ex drummer' mix meets Ali-G type of film which basically focuses on the lower members of society and by imitating them attempts to poke fun at them and the stupid society we live in.
Some people are offended by this I know, I'm not I find it hilarious.

Last edited:
Watched that Outlaw - King yesterday with Chris Pine. Spiritual sequel to Braveheart. Fairly good, worth a look.

After not getting to the cinema this year I've saved 4 films for the bank holiday, starting this morning with Deadpool 2. Good, but more of a straightforward comic book film as opposed to the first which felt more like a full on comedy.

1 down 3 to go. I have Solo: A Star Wars Story for the morning (which I am looking forward to more than I expected), Ready Player One for the afternoon and Ant - Man & The Wasp for Boxing Day.

After not getting to the cinema this year I've saved 4 films for the bank holiday, starting this morning with Deadpool 2. Good, but more of a straightforward comic book film as opposed to the first which felt more like a full on comedy.

1 down 3 to go. I have Solo: A Star Wars Story for the morning (which I am looking forward to more than I expected), Ready Player One for the afternoon and Ant - Man & The Wasp for Boxing Day.

Out of that lot, "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is the only one I've actually seen. It was OK, but nothing special.

I often either buy or rent movies through YouTube movies... I then watch them by plugging my laptop into my TV

Out of interest... why the fuck would anybody pay a tenner or so (seems common on PooToob) to "buy or rent" a movie they could get the DVD/Blu-Ray disc or buy a cinerma ticket for for around the same price...? Or just d/l for nowt if not that bothered about the actual film? I ask only because I have yet to come across anybody who opts for the PooToob option because nobody I have yet come across sees any value in it. Even waiting a few weeks for Netflix or whatever seems a better option. Genuinely interested in what makes the PooToob rental a viable option - just seems the worst of all possible worlds, no? :?

That aside, I have most recently watched: BlacKkKlansman. Much less preachy and more actually enjoyable than I expected in all honesty. Really enjoyed it in fact. Nicely done (excellent time/place stuffs etc) and funny as all fukkery in places. Best Spike Lee "Joint" I've seen in ages I must say.

Just as with everything else in my life I have stopped going to the cinema, instead waiting for the home video releases to stack up periodically before watching them at home. After spending the last 12 years replacing my DVD collection with Blu - Ray's I have neither the money, patience or inclination to start over with a 4K system and although superior I am still happy with my 1080p set up as unlike the UHD platform it supports passive 3D which I find superior to the real3D system used by my usual multiplex of choice which is too dark.

As a number of members are aware, my taste in cinema is as uninspired as my obsession with dance music as while I love original, inventive and independently spirited films of ever genre save for horror (I adore The Exorcist but as an exception as opposed to the rule) and musicals (I don't knock 'em, just don't like them), as a child of the 80's I have never grown out of what my ex used to perfectly categorise as 'ridiculous fiction' i.e. Star Wars / Trek, classic Spielberg / Amblin fantasies and starting with Superman II, comic book adaptions.

So, after spending the last decade falling in love with Marvel Studio's MCU I found last years Avengers: Infinity War to be as good as the genre gets, at least as equally impressive as Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Following its ambitious 'Empire Strikes Back' esque cliffhanger conclusion one of the few things that has kept me going since is the desire to survive long enough to see the final 3 'Phase 3' films, which will close out the colossal, interweaving back story that started back with Jon Favreau's 2008 Iron Man (the other reason for staying alive a few more months being the final season of Game Of Thrones).

So, having seen Ant - Man and The Wasp on Boxing Day morning as part of my Christmas Blu - Ray catch up and with the concluding Avengers: Endgame due out at the end of next month, I am off to see Captain Marvel this afternoon which is the first time I have left the house in over a year for a non drug related purpose (whether scoring or attending my DSP) so I am like the cat that got the cream and following a preparatory shopping trip yesterday for drugs (I can no more watch a film without a ganja than I could go out dancing without a few ee's) I kept back a stone of coke which I am currently enjoying with my morning coffee.

One (planned) trip to the cinema and I'm carrying on like I have won the lottery. A measure of how high my expectations are in life these days...