• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

"Special Edition"

Even so, the 1997 Special Edition of of 'The Empire Strikes Back' is the least offensive of the re - released trilogy, with 'Empire' not suffering from as many alterations compared to eps. IV & VI. Even with the scene replacements the film is all in all, still as powerful as the original 1980 cut. Fubar just does not like Star Wars based on comments I have read before.

My dad who my love for is beyond what I deserve from a relationship, got me a couple of BD's for Christmas as I have not managed to get to the flix all year with the exception of 'Logan' back in the spring.

As such he bought me copies of two of the years biggest and most critically acclaimed studio tent - pole releases.

'War For The Planet Of The Apes' (Dir. Matt Reeves) is a must see for anyone who has followed the unique story of Ceaser the ape over the 2 preceding films ('Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' and 'Dawn Of The Planet If The Apes'). Despite the title, there was more full blonm 'war' in the second half of 'Dawn', with this instalment being even more character driven perhaps than its predecessors. If (like me) you were sucked in by the previous films that define this 'reboot' of the classic franchise of the late 60's / 70's then 'War' is an extremely well imagined and satisfying conclusion to Ceaser's story, mainly concentrating on the animosity between the king of the apes and 'The Colonel', an extremely aggrieved soldier who is attempting to reclaim the planet by playing God. Although, unlike 'Dawn' it was not shot in native 3D, it was photographed using the peerless 'ARRI ALEXA 65' which was then post converted for 3D presentation framed in 2.35:1 or proper cinema-scope, where as
'Dawn' was presented in 16:9 from its native stereoscopic source file.

Despite being above average for a 3D presentation, the most spectacular audio - visual experience I was treated to on the big day was 'Dunkirk' (Dir. Christopher Nolan') I love all of this man's films and his WWII drama is possibly the best film I have seen about the conflict since Clint Eastwood's 2006 'Letters From Iwo Jima' and is arguably hos best work yet. Due to the relatively short running time for a Nolan flick (his projects usually screen between 2.5 - 3 hours) and the small amount of dialogue, this film sees the best use of the IMAX format yet since he first started to experiment with their use in drama in 2008's 'The Dark Knight'. Over 75% of the film is shot using the IMAX format and as with previous Blu - Ray releases from the director, the aspect ration effortlessly shifts from the 2.35:1 shape of the 35mm footage to the IMAX shots, which, as in 'The Dark Knight', 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Interstellar' are framed within the 16:9 shape of the TV. Although the IMAX footage is too tall for TV's and requires cropping at both the top and bottom, they still look better than anything I have seen in 1080p and as such is more than likely the closest that this wonderful footage will appear outside of a theatre until I can upgrade to 4K. The film itself is absolutely spectacular and the over the top description I have given of the home video transfer is to highlight how important it is to see this masterpiece in the best possible manner with regards to sound and vision. The narrative is very typical of Nolan's previous work with him again exploring time dilation to cross - cut between story elements and despite the focus on using visuals to tell the story, the enormous ensemble cast is still flawless. Perhaps Nolan's best film and an instant edition to the greatest WWII films of all time.

My favourite 3 films of the year so far?

Dunkirk
Logan
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

Now to get over to the IMAX in Telford to grab a viddy of 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays x

Last edited:
^Heh, guilty as charged Stee! My post was of cause specifically designed to wind you up - because I'm a cunt... =D

On a more serious note, I've recently watched 'Prometheus' and 'Alien Covenant', and thoroughly enjoyed them both - despite all the less than glowing reviews I've read. I'm quite disappointed to hear that the planned sequel to 'Covenant' has been shelved due to lack of interest...

^Heh, guilty as charged Stee! My post was of cause specifically designed to wind you up - because I'm a cunt... =D

On a more serious note, I've recently watched 'Prometheus' and 'Alien Covenant', and thoroughly enjoyed them both - despite all the less than glowing reviews I've read. I'm quite disappointed to hear that the planned sequel to 'Covenant' has been shelved due to lack of interest...

I'm glad you liked the above films - I am a total Ridley Alien apologist and think they are both worthy films (although I prefer 'Prometheus' which was filmed in native 3D and although it looks stunning regardless of the presentation is amazing in 3D.

Finally managed to get to the local IMAX yesterday to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Really really liked it, but on the basis of the first watch I cannot say I loved it. I'm not too worried though as I felt the same after seeing 'The Force Awakens' in IMAX the first time around - too much to take in after waiting 30 years for a Star Wars sequal but after getting the 3DBD upon it's release last Christmas I now love it - despite being one of the few folk who actually like the prequels, I found TFA much more fun than any of them and also preferred it to last years impressive but flawed 'Rogue One'.

A bit too much for me to take in with regards to 'The Last Jedi' which confirmed my one reservation about a film I have otherwise been desperate to see since this time last year - the film-makers, IMO, have over - egged the pudding a bit but there are so many good ideas and moments that the overall experience is extremely satisfying for a life long sad case fan boy. The only question is that they have included so much story one has to ask what is left to tell in 'Episode IX'?

Then, as a final naughty move I have ended my Star Wars centric holiday season (I have spent the last few weeks watching all previous 8 films and 'The Clone Wars' and 'Star Wars Rebels' TV series in chronological order in anticipation of my cinema trip yesterday) by splurging out 50 quid on a copy of 'Battlefront II' for the PS4 which I am about to unwrap and install and test drive with some ganja. Its the closest I will get as an adult to unearthing all my old Kenner toys so please give me a pass on this one. I do want to grow up honestly.

I'm currently half way through watching 'Bladerunner 2049'. I've tried to watch the original several times but always found it kind of boring. But when I've finished this I reckon I'll give it another go...

I'm currently half way through watching 'Bladerunner 2049'. I've tried to watch the original several times but always found it kind of boring. But when I've finished this I reckon I'll give it another go...

Mint! Cant wait to see it - love the original (make sure you get a cut with the voice-over taken out - 'The Final Cut' (2006) is the most concise and IMO the best.

Mint! Cant wait to see it - love the original (make sure you get a cut with the voice-over taken out - 'The Final Cut' (2006) is the most concise and IMO the best.

Cheers Stee, I'll try and find that version.

More on Bladerunner 2049:

This movie is 2.75 hours long, and the first 2 hours were really gripping and thought provoking. However, the last 45 minutes had me wishing the fuckin thing would just hurry up and finish. Far too many brooding, arty, overly long and frankly boring scenes that merely served as a wanking session for the director's ego. The final, supposedly revelatory scene was a total anticlimax because the boredom of the last 3/4 of an hour gave me ample time to work out what the fuck was going on.

TL/DR Good film that would benefit from being shortened by an hour.

Not quite sure wh'appen of late but will say that Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best films I've seen in years. The last couple Alien flicks FUBAR mentions are also pure gold. Haven't seen any of the Planet of the Apes fillums but have 'em all to hand as and when... And Dunkirk is probably the best film I've seen this year. I've loathed every other film he's made but this one is pure fukkin' gold <3

I liked Dunkirk but the ending? That guy was gliding and turning that dead engine plane for days.

American Mary, tonight Film 4, 12am.

"The story follows Mary, a broke and disenchanted medical student who finds the allure of easy money sending her into the twilight world of body modification and underground surgeries where obsessed flesh artists will pay anything and go through any pain to get their unusual procedures done. But Mary soon finds that her new "profession" leaves more dark marks on her own psyche than on her freakish clientele."

American Mary - Official Movie Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57cI4aUfQs

^ Fancy that really rather strongly. Seriously hoping it lives up to expectations :!

That aside, my most recent viewings have been...

The Shape of Water

I loves me some Guillermo del Toro and this is up there with his better flicks. Is it his best? Nope. Is it the one he should've one t'Oscar for? Nope. Still a beast (literally, hehe, etc) of a film though. Although the overall film is definitely not up there with his best, imo, the set and setting are so achingly lushy I can totally see how t'Oscars folk decided this would be His One & Only Oscar Win. They knew he is well due one but never had a vehicle they could sell before so this is the one. Nice film... but not his best.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Reviews seem to be somewhat seriously "mixed" for this one but lawdy is that how a fella should make a comic-book adaption! First big set-piece in and I was rating this significantly higher than any comic-book flick I've seen in years and it lived up to that all the way until the end. All big-budget films have CGI spectacle now so I'm ignoring that as far as is possible, I'm simply looking at how a cinematic presentation can attempt to represent a comic-book entity... and this is a winner.

My lawdy lord if only the godforsaken MCU could even dream of such translations. I have quite literally no idea how faithful this film is to the comics it represents... yet it wins all the same cos it truly knows what it is doing and that is what is so sorely missing in the vast majority of the comic-based dreck that has shamed our screens these last few years.

I liked Dunkirk but the ending? That guy was gliding and turning that dead engine plane for days.

Well, y'know, it took weeks in reality so ya kinda have to truncate it a little to make it seem more urgent in a relatively short film. Your complaint is kinda like pointing out (in reverse) that Private Ryan was saved in a little under three hours. Yes. yes he was but that was hardly the point of the overarching film now was it ;)

Bladerunner 2049:.

Finally saw this at the weekend in 4K and immediately went out and purchased it in three D's. The 3D version looked fantastic but not as good as the 4K - K - Do you live in a cell - cell - is an apartment a cell - cell - cell - are the cells interlinked - cells interlinked - interlinked - interlinked...

Cannot overstress how impressed I was with this and dare I say it, it is IMO as least as good as the original if not better. Best film of 2017? I think so.

Finally saw this at the weekend in 4K and immediately went out and purchased it in three D's. The 3D version looked fantastic but not as good as the 4K - K - Do you live in a cell - cell - is an apartment a cell - cell - cell - are the cells interlinked - cells interlinked - interlinked - interlinked...

Cannot overstress how impressed I was with this and dare I say it, it is IMO as least as good as the original if not better. Best film of 2017? I think so.

Glad you liked it Stee. Did you not find it got a bit long winded at the end?

Glad you liked it Stee. Did you not find it got a bit long winded at the end?

The whole thing is long winded but that's a trope of serious sci - fi pieces (2001?) - I can understand why you may have felt this though as all the films best ideas were dealt with by then, leaving the last hour to wind all the story threads up at which point it does play over as a bit more commercial.

I thought it was dire personally. Didn’t rate it at all.

Horses for courses buddy, neither this film nor the original, while both highly regarded are not universally loved. Just a shame you had to waste nearly 3 hours on such an unpleasant experience...

Stared Up

Is that the new film in the Reipuman franchise? :sus:;)<3

Title kinda reminds me of Starred Up which is an excellent British prison film I watched just t'other night as it happens. Shot Caller is still on my "ToWatch" list but would recommend Starred Up to anybody that appreciates a good prison drama.