• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

Recent viewings have included...

Shot Caller - Outstanding prison drama starring that bloke who plays Jaime Lannister (sp?) in GoT. Don't let that latter put you off though if you're not a fan of said series cos his performance here is stellar as is the film itself. The plot is fairly standard prison drama stuff (Wall Street hotshot becomes "white-collar criminal" after being involved in a DUI incident and is faced with a stretch in chokey). What sets this film apart - aside from the excellent acting, cinematography and direction - is the execution. The structure of the film is initially confusing but that only gives it better re-viewing prospects and as that is as close to a possible downside as I saw after a single viewing I'd have no hesitation in recommending this one highly.

Ghost in the Shell - As an avid fan of the original I was looking forward to the live action remake before the decidedly mixed reviews added a little more doubt. After watching it t'other night I must admit I came out rather liking it... albeit with a couple reservations. The visuals are delicious (aside from the weird skintone leotard they went with rather than sticking to the original nekkidness or just going all out for a proper costume) and, for the most part, I honestly thought it worked. The main thing that didn't carry over was the very hard to quantify "feel" of the original. Despite the instantly recognisable - more or less shot-for-shot - set-pieces there is something oddly "lacking" all the same. Still, not bad and a worthy intro to the still-superior animated original.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - I really enjoyed the first one so had high hopes for the sequel. My how said hopes were to be cruelly dashed. Maybe I'm missing summat cos it definitely looked the part (the visuals are some of the prettiest I have ever seen) but I would struggle to find another good word to say about it. Some decent characters (although half of the returning ones are somehow shitter than they were in the original and the new ones are instantly forgettable) and a few halfway decent gags (and I really do mean halfway decent) but as far as plot goes I'm not entirely sure there was one. There probably was but whatever it was was clearly inconsequential enough to have been completely buried in glitzy CGI-drenched set-pieces that - as noted - were stunning to look at but utterly vacuous in every other way. Dreck.

I bought a copy of GOTGVol2 on 3DBD too watch today. Loved the first one so I'm really looking forward too it. My threshold for crap is higher than yours Sham so I'm not too worried about your review =D

So , a couple of new BD's over the last couple of weeks...

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - As predicted I was really happy with it, despite not feeling as fresh as the first film I was more than satisfied with it as a sequel, good character development fantastic use of the 3D presentation and genuine, high octane, hilarious fun despite the inevitable world - destroying final act typical of most MCU films.

Last weekends purchase was 'Alien - Covenant', again, as an easy to please geekazoid fanboy I was more than satisfied with the piece both as a sequel to the (IMO) highly underrated 'Prometheus' and a bona - fide return to the Alien character, the first in 20 years with the last being 1997's 'Alien: Resurrection' (if you don't include the awful 'Alien Vs Predator' efforts which despite being a fan of both properties I cannot bring myself to watch). It hardly re - invents the wheel but for anyone wh has stuck with the franchise beyond the peerless 'Alien' and 'Aliens' there is more than enough here to satisfy.

Reviews with love from the most dedicated fan of lowbrow cinema in the Parish of ***** & ****** *****.

Most recent viewing was an actual date night to yon kinematography house to watch the new Blade Runner fillum. In 3d no less. I realise this is of little interest to anybody else but did mark the first time I've seen any film in 3d since the switch from red/green cardboard glasses to clear placcy ones so was a moderately big deal to me.

On the latter note, I was rather pleased the 3d was so restrained. Keeping itself for depth of "world" rather than depth of random shite whizzing "out" at you made for a very pleasing visual experience. Especially given Denis Villeneuve's wonderful visual palletes which combine perfectly with the set, costume and lighting designs.

I was rather nervous about this given the pedigree - and the near-universal glowing reviews only increased my :sus:ness - but I needn't have worried. Film was a belter imo. Easily a match for the original and can quite understand how some are calling it as superior to Ridley Scott's original (in any of it's various versions).

Not only a must watch for any who must watch such things but a worthwhile watch too.

Watched The Accountant and Rogue One on Sky Movies....

Don't even want Sky Movies but they keep charging my credit card every month and I'm too lazy to work out how to cancel it.

We have a similar situation only with Amazon Prime. Never yet actually watched anything on it but those "free" trials do tend to get out of hand :!

We have a similar situation only with Amazon Prime. Never yet actually watched anything on it but those "free" trials do tend to get out of hand :!

With Netflix you can register and get a month free and then just keep registering again with a different card can keep getting free months until you run out of cards...

Netflix is utter shit though.

With Netflix you can register and get a month free and then just keep registering again with a different card can keep getting free months until you run out of cards...

Netflix is utter shit though.

Netflix is shite. Better with terrarium tv. And its free

Has anyone seen this?

ZAHvXaq.jpg

^nopes and I doubt many other people have.

I've semi watched 'Churchill' now which says enough as I've lost interest in it for now.

I'd put The man with the Iron Heart on hold for a while as only last year Anthropoid a film about the exact same thing (clue is in the name) came out.

Worth a watch though, anthropoid gets a 7.2 and TmwtIH a 6.4 on imdb. They're both equal imo if you watch it for what they are ae a film not an accurate documentary.

Finished watching Churchill and it was meh without more.

Wind River worth a watch

Last edited:
Currently indulging in yearly tradition - the greatest Christmas film of ll time - 'Die Hard'

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring — except for the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation'

Will C&P that for the quotes thread.