• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

Not yet, consumer. Got it bookmarked along with a shitload of other music dox though. I get round to 'em all eventually... :eek:

Know I have more to recommend than this but all I can bring to mind right now is...

Paterson: Quite possibly the bestest film I've seen in ages. Very hard to describe cos very little happens and I suspect it's gonna be a deeply decisive film as a result. Myself and Mrs Me found it quietly captivating though.

Bear: Liked the look of Tangerines when I looked it up after you mentioned it recently. Will be giving it a go.

PS: If you liked Stalker you should probably try Tarkovsky's original version of Solaris. Wonderful film based on a wonderful book. Be prepared for some very long, very slow tracking shots... ;)

Tangerines is a good movie (actually the last few that I have listed were all really good in a different way - Theeb, Timbuktu are both worth watching)

Paterson - is that the comedy ?

I would have seen Solaris - I can't remember it but I'll put it on later on and give it another watch.

Do you have 'kodi'? I got it a couple of months ago and it's pretty impressive - worth it if you watch a lot of movies etc (that you don't want to keep) - it's was preloaded on an Amazon Fire Stick along with a few other digital tv apps etc.

'The Machinist' with Christian Bale. A gripping tale of sleep deprivation, psychosis and paranoia which has you thinking "wtf is going on?" until the very end. Bale is fantastic as his character visibly deteriorates in front of your eyes. Apparently he starved himself to lose several stone in weight to get into character.

And then got in shape again in a matter of (I believe) less than a year for Batman Begins.

christian-bale-batman.jpg

I've not seen The Machinist, but have been meaning to give it a watch. Will aim to do it this weekend.

And then got in shape again in a matter of (I believe) less than a year for Batman Begins.

christian-bale-batman.jpg

I've not seen The Machinist, but have been meaning to give it a watch. Will aim to do it this weekend.

Yeh, he's incredible. Don't read the plot on any websites though, you need to be enthralled...

Bad Santa 2
Just like the first one this one didn't disappoint, if you like that kinda humour if you even know what that word means ;).

The other one - the long strange trip of Bob Weir http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3692768/

Its on Netflix.

I knew nothing about the Grateful Dead before this doc, not sure what a diehard fan would think of it, but i really enjoyed it.

Super interesting story of the band and Bob himself.

Defo worth a gander.

The other one - the long strange trip of Bob Weir http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3692768/

Its on Netflix.

I knew nothing about the Grateful Dead before this doc, not sure what a diehard fan would think of it, but i really enjoyed it.

Super interesting story of the band and Bob himself.

Defo worth a gander.

It really is a great film and had in me in tears. I've been a dead fan for a long time but I knew none of that stuff about Bob's childhood.

Recent viewings have included...

Jackie: Pretty frikkin good biopic about the titular Ms Kennedy/Onassis. Muted in tone, and big on characterisation, this was a winner for me.

Midnight: Wonderful film about sexual awakening and self-discovery that foxed the Oscars ceremony bigly. I've not seen La La Land yet can still be reasonably certain the correct envelope took longer to find than your casual viewer may have initially realised.

Finally saw 'Rogue One' last night - =D

Characters were a bit underdeveloped but the whole thing was still a big kids treat, nice tight well paced story and arguably one of the most epic space battles in any of the 8 films, which I was not expecting. Loved it.

I watched the new Robocop movie last night.

I was fully predisposed to hate it, but I kind of enjoyed it. However, it's still an insult to the original and should never have been made.

Characters were a bit underdeveloped but the whole thing was still a big kids treat, nice tight well paced story and arguably one of the most epic space battles in any of the 8 films, which I was not expecting. Loved it.

Its a great movie :) - not without its faults but still, it's like a 'Star Wars' movie. I really enjoyed it.

I watched half an hour of that and then decided that was enough, no not because it was shit or boring but I still haven't got the fanniest idea wtf it's all about =D.
One day I shall pay attention and watch the first one again...

edit: just done some reading...it's this one Rogue One, one should watch as the first film?

Watched L4YER CAKE for the first time last night. Bloody excellent. Up there with Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels...

I found a copy of L4Y3R CAKE on DVD awhile ago, Jess or Lauren or someone must have left it 'cause I don't remember buying it; if I'd bought it, I'd have watched it straight away! Anyway, it's away in storage right now, along with my DVD player, till I get my new floor sorted. Might have to watch it firat thing when I get it all back .....

Oh, shit, my laptop's got a DVD drive, I could have hung onto it and watched it on that. Bollocks!

(If I download a pirate copy to watch right now, that's not even really piracy, is it, 'cause I've paid for the right to watch it when I bought the DVD, and it's locked up in some freight container in some storage yard now so nobody else is going to be watching it without paying for it, so for copyright purposes, that's got to be Fair Dealing, surely?)

I found a copy of L4Y3R CAKE on DVD awhile ago, Jess or Lauren or someone must have left it 'cause I don't remember buying it; if I'd bought it, I'd have watched it straight away! Anyway, it's away in storage right now, along with my DVD player, till I get my new floor sorted. Might have to watch it firat thing when I get it all back .....

Oh, shit, my laptop's got a DVD drive, I could have hung onto it and watched it on that. Bollocks!

(If I download a pirate copy to watch right now, that's not even really piracy, is it, 'cause I've paid for the right to watch it when I bought the DVD, and it's locked up in some freight container in some storage yard now so nobody else is going to be watching it without paying for it, so for copyright purposes, that's got to be Fair Dealing, surely?)

Go for it Julie - it'll be worth it. The plot's more twisty turny than a twisty turny thing, with an ending that takes you completely by surprise.

PS, it's on Netflix if you've got that?

I watched half an hour of that and then decided that was enough, no not because it was shit or boring but I still haven't got the fanniest idea wtf it's all about =D.
One day I shall pay attention and watch the first one again...

edit: just done some reading...it's this one Rogue One, one should watch as the first film?

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teaser trailer for 'The Last Jedi' (SWEPVIII) courtesy of EmpireOnline. If you look at the sites homepage as well Arnold there is an amusing article about suggested viewing orders for newcomers to the films. As good and as self contained as 'Rogue One' is it's really worth saving until last as it's full of really good Easter eggs and references that would only be truly appreciated by those familiar with the main 'Episodes'

Star Wars Episode VIII 'The Last Jedi' Teaser Trailer http://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-wars-last-jedi/first-teaser-trailer-star-wars-last-jedi/

ps. I fucking love Layer Cake, I love Matthew Vaughn and that film is my 3rd favourite British feature (after 'Trainspotting' & 'Dead Man's Shoes')

EDIT: and there is this =D

star-wars-the-last-jedi-teaser-poster.jpg

Last edited:
As good and as self contained as 'Rogue One' is it's really worth saving until last as it's full of really good Easter eggs and references that would only be truly appreciated by those familiar with the main 'Episodes'

I wonder if they would still seem like Easter eggs if you watched them in descending chronological order? You'd probably swear you'd watched the same episode twice at some point :p

Really looking forward to this one!