The Violent Femmes long overdue thread

Speed King

Bluelighter
I'll start. Add it up. Can you really say much more? I hope so. They are one group, that when a song comes on, people usually know the words. Any other fans?

Last edited:
Add It Up is one song that always gets me up dancing. I saw them a few years ago and was pretty impressed.

I saw them a few months ago.
They're fucking awesome. They played all their hits, but i actually thought some of the newer songs were even better. Gordon Gano writes some fucking great songs.

Hallowed Ground is one of the finest albums of the 80s i reckon.
Brian Ritchie is such an incredible musician - so amazing to watch live.

They are very remeniscent to me of a lot of Jonathan Richman. I would recommend that anyone that doesn't already know Jonathan - but loves the Violent Femmes - check him out. Probably more his later albums more than his first record in terms of similarity...but you can't go wrong with early Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers.

But i digress - the Violent Femmes are a great band.

This song is just perfection:
[video=youtube_share;AMtqX1vcFOk]http://youtu.be/AMtqX1vcFOk[/video]

Their first album is one of the best, IMO. Pretty much every single track is gold.

the violent femmes, they bring all their equipment on the bus
and you can't fuck with the violent femmes. you cannot fuck with this band

:)

I grew up on the violent femmes and was fortunate to see them live a couple years ago.
Nothing like some gospel inspired, queer feels, get you on your feet kinda weird music.

Muahaha!!
Breakin up
Gimmie the car
Black girls
Country death song
Add it up (of course)
And many more

I am in love with these guys!!
There lyrics and sound are so unique

I love the lyrics from Add it up

"Broken down kitchen at the top of the stairs
Can i mix in with your affairs?
Share a smoke,
make a joke,
Grasp and reach for a leg of hope
Words to mezmerise
words to hypnotise
Words make my mouth excersie
Words all fail the magic prize
Nothing i can say when im in your thighs!"

They had such a profound influence in my taste in music and songwriting, got to see them live once about a decade ago now. Brilliant band.

They came to the most isolated city on the planet, where i was living last year, so i'm sure you'll have a chance to see them in the US of A.
Then again, Brian Ritchie lives in Australia these days, so who knows? They put on a great show.

Do you like Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, speed king?
A massive influence on the Violent Femmes, i think.

On a related VF note, i love this Gordon Gano song from a few years back - but the version i'm familiar with has PJ Harvey on vocals.
Brilliant track (and love the youtube vid too!)

[video=youtube_share;48sTuNnOQSo]http://youtu.be/48sTuNnOQSo[/video]

I have to check out Jonathan Richman& The Modern Lovers.

I always liked PJ Harvey, so when I get back on wi-fi, I'll check it out.

I like new music,so I'm sure J Richman is cool.

spacejunk, you always have great recommendations !

No worries man :)

Jonathan Richman is hardly new (proto-punk) but his later stuff is very femmes-esque i think.
They even covered one of his songs when i saw them last year :)

PJ Harvey is amazing too - i saw her a few weeks ago. Very impressive.

Nice! I've seen her a couple times, even got to see that project she did where she was recording her newest album in a glass room / two way mirror and you could stand there watching like a peeping tom :D

I also met her drummer randomly at a Xylouris White show, it was pretty intimidating :eek:

'oh i play drums too...just not as well as you...'

Her ten piece band on the latest tour was amazing - and there were several drummers. I've played gigs with Mick Harvey (longtime Nick Cave collaborator, etc) who was also in her band.

And Xylouris White were the support act at that show- amazing stuff.

Getting a bit off topic, but yes - i love the violent femmes.
Brian Ritchie's multi-instrumentalism is phenomenal. Acoustic bass guitar virtuoso, percussion and all sorts of things that have slipped my mind now. Woodwinds too maybe?
He's a sensational artist. Check em out live if you get the chance.

Omg Violent Femmes Rock!!! I dated all skater boys in high school and thats all we listened to!!!!! Good thread

Nice! I've seen her a couple times, even got to see that project she did where she was recording her newest album in a glass room / two way mirror and you could stand there watching like a peeping tom :D

I also met her drummer randomly at a Xylouris White show, it was pretty intimidating :eek:

'oh i play drums too...just not as well as you...'

Not to derail an awesome thread, yeah, you don't want to get into a drum-off with Jim White. I'd been a fan of his for years from Dirty Three stuff, but then I saw XW open for SWANS. Fuck, that guy really brings it.