Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Crystal Meth) Amateur: Heart Attack at 24

prodigaldaughter

Greenlighter
First let me preface that before this particularly scary experience my feelings and thoughts towards meth were amicable. I've smoked it a total of 4 times with my friend (who was addicted to it for about 6 months) as well as a guy friend (fwb, who also had a lot more experience with it than I did). So, this was my first time smoking it alone. I bought a gram last Thursday and was pretty excited to be doing it again since I missed the euphoria and high it gives. (The last time I smoked it was about a month ago)

I really couldn't tell you how much I smoked, but I can give you a play by play as to how much I did smoke(at the time I wasn't paying attention which ultimately lead to me smoking too much). I loaded the bowl and took two big hits around 8pm. I instantly felt that tingly, fuck yeah rush in my head and body. The urge to smoke more was strong but I put it away since I had to go to the store with my friends. It definitely woke me up, but I wasn't tweaking or visibly spun- just more awake and talkative.

My plans were to stay up all night to do homework and just come down the next day. When I came back to my home I hit the pipe 3 more times around 2 am. I loaded the bowl again so I could have it ready for my next hits before leaving for class in the morning. I stayed up all night nothing significant happened. I made the decision to smoke more before I left so I could stay high through out the day. This is where I fucked up. When I smoked with my friend I would usually take 2 big hits(till my lungs couldn't expand) and then come down and smoke again 8 hours later. But this time smoking alone, I was redosing and not really paying attention to how much I had been smoking.

Before I left my home(8Am) I sat on the floor of my bathroom, lit a candle, held the bowl one inch to the flame and watched the smoke start to circle in the bowl. I remember taking 3 huge hits- I wanted to feel that rush again before leaving. After my last hit I looked in the mirror and my pupils were fucking huge. I liked it, didn't think anything of it. Then I left.

I'll fast forward to when shit was getting real. Around 9am, sitting in class I noticed I was feeling sleepy. Not heavy sleepy, but like noticeably tired? I was thinking:wtf, this meth is bs. But then as the minutes went by I felt something wasn't right. I felt weird, like uncomfortable but I couldn't understand why. I was tweaking, I was actually able to sit still, but found it hard to focus on what my teacher was saying. Just something wasn't right.

Then it happened. Out of nowhere I felt the blood from the top of my head just drop and flush down to the bottom of my body like instantly. I felt extremely ligh headed and the urge to vomit was overwhelming. I knew it was the meth. I gathered my shit and just walked to the bathroom. I got extremely angry at myself for not realizing how much I'd smoked. Once in the bathroom I began drinking handfuls of water to calm myself down, and to cool myself off. I didn't know what to do. I could feel my heart racing but that's "normal" when you're smoking meth. I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked fine. But it was when my left arm started feeling tingly and numb that I started to panic because I knew that was a sign of a heart attack.

I tried drinking more water but nothing was working. I checked the timer I set and it had been exactly and hour and 30 min since I last smoked. I was so confused, if I was really ODing wouldn't it happen instantly?? Not an hour later?? Whatever. I kept checking my face, and my lips were a deep red almost purple. My palms were turning purple too and my hands were completely swollen. This wasn't helping me, I started to panic more. I thought if I could just calm down and ride this out I can make it. No chest pains so no worries right?

At that moment I felt extremely light headed again, and like I was about to vomit. I made the decision to leave the building because if it came down to calling the ambulance I didn't want anyone from my class seeing that. So I decided to walk a couple blocks away, just so no one would see me or see me get into a ambulance if I was really going to call one(I know paranoid much). But since I wasn't experiencing chest pains I thought I was in the clear. It had been 2 hours and my pulse still wasn't letting up. My left arm would go numb, and cramp up every so often. The left side of my face was also tingly, and would go numb as well. There were 3 instances in which I did dial 911, but would hang up because I was able to calm myself.

Around noon(4 hours after I smoked) I decided to call my friend and have him pick me up. Also I didn't want to be alone. When he showed up he did everything he could to calm me down. He kept reassuring me that I was all in my head and that I was just having a bad trip with the meth. He checked my pulse with the heart monitor app on his iPhone and my pulse was 160. He reassured me that that wasn't too bad(I didn't know what a regular pulse was so I believed him). We were walking around the block since that seemed to help me calm down but I was getting tired. My vision was kind of blurry and it was hard to focus. All the while I'm taking deep breathes in an out trying to remain calm. We made the decision to get in his car to drive to a gas station to get me water-big mistake.

While in the car, it was hard to distract myself from all the symptoms I was feeling which fed into the anxiety. I really felt like I was having or going to have a heart attack. All the signs were there. 5 min away from the gas station my left leg goes completely numb, and I feel a pain traveling up from my shin to my thigh and up to the side of my body. I felt a sharp pain in the left side of my upper back and soon my arms went completely numb and my hands were cramping up I into the shape of Cs(I couldn't move or bend them at all it was extremely painful to do so). Then the pain coming up into my left arm.

This wasn't all in my head, these were real symptoms happening out of my control and that's when I made my friend call 911. I just couldn't take it anymore. I started really panicking telling my friend I couldn't move my arms or hands. When we got to the gas station he had me step out of the car which was another big mistake. I instantly felt like I was going to pass out. And on top of not being able to move my arms or hands-I thought I was going to die right there at the gas station.

The ambulance pulled up and it took all my strength and will to walk over to the van and climb in. The check my vitals and my pulse was at 155. The emt guy told me a regular pulse was 70. After I told him I've been like this since 9 am (it was 1:30pm at the time) he urged me to go to the ER, saying I would probably drop dead if I don't. The only reason I decided to go to the ER was because he told me they would give me something to come down. On the way there my chest on the left side started feeling tingly- intense dread filled my stomach. I looked up at the emt guy saying my chest was starting to hurt but he told me everything was going to be ok, and that I wasn't going to die. They put an IV in my arm and before I knew it we were at the hospital.

The chest pains started getting more intense when I was in the actual ER room. And to my dismay they didn't give me anything to come down. The nurses hooked me up a heart monitor machine, my pulse was 160. My arms were still painfully locked up as well as my hands. It was a fucking nightmare. This lady actually tried to make me sign something, but I kept pleading that I couldn't grip the pen. So she managed to fix it into my cramped distorted fingers and I somehow managed to scribble something down before the pain in my chest was just too much.

It grew harder to breathe, like my chest was hurting from expanding and at one point I couldn't take deep breathes anymore. The nurses were telling me to calm down and take deep breathes but I physically couldn't. At one point I looked up to a nurse and in rapid shallow breathes I tried telling her I couldn't breathe, but she reassured me and said if I was talking then I could breathe. Around 3/4pm(I'm guessing here) that's when it happened, the moment I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Both my legs when completely numb, my feet were actually purple, my left leg cramped up and there was this intense pain almost like my leg was collapsing in on itself. The pain traveled up my thigh, then to my side, the familiar sharp pain came back into the upper left side of my back(shoulder blade), then up my left arm and this time my right arm as well, the left side of my face went numb and tingly and finally my chest was cramping. I saw flashing lights around me, and I just accepted the fact that my heart was going to stop beating. I tried telling a nurse my chest was hurting, that it's going to stop, but all she did was hand me a plastic bag contraption and had my hold it over my mouth to slow my breathing. I couldn't really hold it so I kind of just pushed it up to the side of my face as I laid there in terror and accepting of my fate. My pulse was still 160 at this point.

I felt like the nurses were waiting for me to flat line, honestly. At one point they left me in the room by myself. Around 5/6pm my pulse actually stabilized and went down to 120, then 100, then 90. My feet weren't purple or swollen, same with my hands. Because I was able to control my breathing my arms were freed and I could actually move my fingers around. I was completely exhausted, and completely out of it. They helped me on my feet to pee in a cup(pregnancy test). I needed to hold onto the wall since being up made me feel extremely dizzy and I found it hard to keep my balance. Around 9 pm is when they finally discharged me. My blood pressure was 125/89. I was deemed ok to leave. My friend picked me up and that night I was still really anxious about my body. Being in a panicked state like that for 8 hours left me super aware and anxious about every little pain in my body.

I literally got the work out of my life that day. I've never experienced anything like that the 4times I smoked meth with my friends. I'm still coming down from the meth right, it's been 3 days. I'm exhausted unmotivated and still very anxious about my heart.

Before leaving the ER a nurse gave me a sonogram of my heart noting that it was in perfect condition even after what I had put it through.

When I came back home from the ER my place stank of meth. I was shocked. I guess I really did smoke way too much for my body to handle.

I'm 24 yr old female, 130 lbs, 5'2". I'm still conflicted as to whether I should throw away the meth I have left(there's a lot left). Since I have had enjoyable and good experiences with it. If anything I've learned NOT to redose as many times as I did, as well as respecting the drugs itself. It's fucking strong.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_methamphetamine
substancecode_meth
substancecode_amphetamines
explevel_inexperienced
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
exptype_disaster
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... I'm glad you're okay and this isn't a post in the shrine, that's for sure. Keep in your head the fact that it's all over now, you made it and that if you don't do this again, nothing will happen.

As for the rest of the meth, I'd suggest you measure it with a MG scale (WITHIN 1 MG, THIS IS NECESSARY) and take it orally, so to have a longer come-up to let your body ease into the trip and to have a milder trip than smoking it. Read up suggested dose sizes on the internet from many different sources and take a lower dose and see how it feels and work your way up. Remember that it's much better to go low at first and have a mild trip rather than go high at first and end up redoing this whole story again with the ending of "She flatlined at exactly [x:xx A/PM]".

Be safe,

And happy tweaking :)

Thank you for the suggestion! I've actually tried eating it yesterday (parachuting) with a meal but I don't have a scale so I eyeballed it. This sucks because I can't exactly tell you how much it was but only that it wasn't much at all(which is incredibly subjective). But it wasn't enough to get me high or buzzed. Tbh I was still nervous about reacting bad to it again. The anxiety fucked me up

I've smoked meth before(as I've mentioned). I remember taking huge hits, like London fog hits, with my friends and not reacting bad at all. I remember enjoying the hot flush, and increase heart beat...but now it's different.

I'm planning on smoking it again tonight, but I'm going to focus on just taking two big hits and see how I feel. Also I forgot to mention I wasn't hydrated at all when I "ODed". But I've been hydrated these past few days (like 1 pint of water minimum)

Here's to second chances

Please please please, for the sake of harm reduction purposes and your heath, don't eyeball anything, there's no reliable way to eyeball substances you have little experience with measuring properly.

Also, properly measuring out the substance to a reasonable dosage will be sure to reduce a lot of your anxiety about taking meth again, because you'll be sure as to the fact that you are taking a good amount.

so you didn't have a heart attack?

you had a meth od and panic attack

Yes voice of reason here. I'm going to have to invest in a scale. I just smoked with my friend, and I was able to get high again. I'm thinking I should just not smoke by myself anymore.

I'm thinking I didn't have a heart attack because the symptoms of a heart attack and panic attack are extremely similar. It fucking sucks.

But I will say looking back I think I know what contributed to the attack: I forced myself to sit still and focus on what my teacher was saying (as oppose to letting myself be free and go on an organization frenzy and tweak). Also I was extremely dehydrated, and didn't eat for a day.

Even though I only stayed up through one night, I really think those made me freak out. Also I didn't prepare at all for a panic attack(breathing excercises).

It felt extremely similar to a heart attack, and the heart can indeed FAIL if it's working too hard for too long.

psychosomatic- people having panic attacks on stims do feel like they are having a heart attack and they can but a lot of the time its just massive anxiety

Fortunately it was definitely not a MI, but rather a panic attack as said above.

The nurses and doctors would never have just left you there peacefully to recover nor discharged you so quickly had it been more serious.

Also you'd have had blood tests indicating raised troponin (an indication of heart damage), and also a few more accurate scans (probably an MRI or CT scan) to check on the state of the heart, which would have likely shown some damage to the myocardium.

When they put the transparent 'mask' over your face, that was probably oxygen (to counteract hypoxia) as your breathing was likely too shallow while panicking and your blood oxygen levels (sats) fell.

It's also very likely that you suffered from hypoglycaemia at the start of the episode. Hypo is an unfortunately frequent occurrence while using meth, particularly after many hours of staying awake, as meth tends to stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas, while your body and brain are simultaneously burning through energy at a heightened pace, causing a serious drop in blood glucose.

Hypo often precedes a panic attack, and helps lead to that 'falling/dropping feeling' from head to toe you felt in class at the beginning. There's a theory that the majority of panic attacks may in fact be related to an insufficient cerebral glucose supply.

Hypo can also lead directly to atrial fibrillation (as can meth and other stimulants), which would explain your rapid heart rate, on top of the panic.

So, do your best to make sure you're eating as well as you can (drinking shakes if you need to) in order to keep your energy levels up. And most importantly take a break from the meth. I'm not trying to come across as censorious but I can't believe you've just jumped straight back on after that harrowing experience :(

Thank you for the info, I'll definitely be adding multi vitamins to my diet right now. I've been keeping up with staying hydrated this time around and the effects of it are extremely noticeable. My skin isn't dried up, my sweat is also under control, and my hands don't get cold and clammy.

I know I know...I'm committed to quitting after I finish the gram I have. I still have a little over a half. I felt cheated..after having so many great experiences with it I just wanted to feel it again. I know, I'm an idiot. But I know this isn't sustainable. I'm having my fun and I'm commuting to staying off of it for forever.

There's always weed right? ?

Water and vitamins are good, but most importantly you need to get food (including complex carbohydrates) in, like pasta, rice, bread, noodles, potato etc to prevent hypoglycaemia.

If you feel you can't chew/swallow solid food, try foods that are juicy (eg fruits) or that have a vinegary, acidic or spicy taste - these will cause you to salivate automatically once you start to chew.

Full fat milk is also a good source of basic nutrition that you can drink. Better yet, meal replacement and/or protein shakes, along with fruits and any other fibrous things you can manage to eat.

I know this isn't sustainable

That's the truth. Whenever you want to quit and feel that annoying craving to 'feel it' again, try to remember instead - in as much detail as you can - every little detail of the nightmare you've just experienced and all that could have gone catastrophically wrong. It should help you fight it.

I've actually been able to smoke and get high these past two days. I'm planning on coming down tonight and not touch my stash for awhile. There's just so much. A gram is a shit ton for me.

Being in the ER doesn't frighten me. Actually the very real possibility of my teeth falling out world better. I'm just too vain for that to happen. That's where I draw the line :/

your in the beginning of an addiction

speaking from experience stop before it develops further

this is my first time buying a gram by myself.. but I have feeling that you're right. I'm withdrawing right now because I know I have to come down. But I can see how this can get out of hand.

Maybe it's the dopamine depletion speaking but I'm so unmotivated to buy more. The high is incredible but this sucks

its when you start feeling less rough but not fully at optimum mood that your brain will romanticise it as once the sadness of amphetamine comedown ends the boredom begins and fuck me does that drag for ages

High dose meth/amphetamines just aren't worth the toll they take on mind and body, in my opinion. I second the advice to get a proper milligram scale, and keep your doses to under 100mg per day. And put the pipe away forever; chasing the rush is the absolute worst habit you can pick up.

I concur with others about the experience being a panic attack and not a heart attack: you would not have walked away so quickly had you really had a myocardial infarct. There would have been a whole song and dance, medical imaging, many blood draws, etc. Peeing in a cup isn't a pregnancy test either - well, it could well be, but in cases like these I'd suspect they run a tox panel on it (drug test).

Being in the ER doesn't frighten me.

Wait until you end up in there with four point restraints & a Foley catheter after a psychotic break, uncontrolled panic attack, or fugue state. It's really fun not knowing when you're going to be given any freedom of movement, and all the staff are purposefully ignoring "the drug case over there". Maybe you'll also have the haze of Haldol inhibiting your muscular motion and rational thinking, to make everything just that more fucked. And then a 14 day stay in the crazy box.

I speak from experience, it's a shitshow there. Do your best to stay out of the ER - if not for yourself, think of the hospital staff who could be treating others in real, not-self-inflicted danger.

Man I'm so grateful for all the words of wisdom from experiences. I'm taking everything to heart and will stop. I think I've only just realized how dangerous this drug really is.

I developed an embarrassing psychosis on meth due to being so worried about my usage the whole time. It can be psychological sometimes. Not saying it was for you, just that it's possible that that can happen. I hate it.

It's all Mind over mater(heart rate) until it isn't

I had a very similar experience when I was about 20. So I got drunk and fell off the back of my buddy's flatbed and when I woke up the next day I could t use my wrist. I could move it a bit so my bf at the time said I just sprained it. I did about 1.75g in a three day period and stayed up the whole time. In the meantime my wrist wasn't gettin any better. Then on the third day me and my bf were driving and I moved my wrist wrong and suddenly my hand turned black, I had already learned how to keep my head most of the time and ward off panic attacks on meth (5 years experience at the time). But when u have something nondrug related go wrong it's impossible to hold the panic back. The paranoia had me convinced that I had a blood clot or heart attack and I was frozen w panic. My bf finally dropped me off at er and they asked me what I took. I told them I had taken adderol lol. they didn't seem to believe me about my wrist. the nurse just kept saying its in my head as She rolled her eyes at the other girl. they handled my panic attack first. I was givin a tranquilizer and was completely out of it for 6 hours. The dr prescribed me kolodipan and wanted to send me home. He was surprised I still wanted x ray of my wrist, they assumed I was hallucinating, but did it and sure enough it was broken. The nurses aditudes didn't get any better.
The scary part is that if they think it's just a druggie panic attack and it was something more serious. They stick to that opinion until ur in distress or dead because they can't trust you to know what is real and what isn't. If you think about shadow ppl can you blame them.
Meth Addiction is scary in two ways. You can walk right into it eyes open thinking you know to be careful. Financially- One day u run out of play money coming down and use your rent on it thinking I'll use next weeks check. And then it's not until you come down completely that u realize u screwed up. Your health/life- if you do to much the symptoms don't creep up on you. You can be fine for a while or it can be right when u use but when your body reaches it's limit it lets you know with a punch. If your alone you have to pray thru it or try to think past blurry vision and mind fog to remember how many numbers is in 911 if you can find a phone.
Please ppl don't use alone. Even if ur just in a house w non users having someone in the same house to yell for can save a life. And we can always do it again but we can't take it back. Let's all Pace ourselves. Have a great tweak

Last edited:
I developed an embarrassing psychosis on meth due to being so worried about my usage the whole time.

At least here there's not much to be embarrassed about. Most users have done something whether it's stupid, embarrassing, gross, sick, twisted or evil at one point or another. Especial your first round with addiction. I get paranoid that everyone around me knows I'm tweaking sometimes and I'll "hear" someone say something and I have to focus on ignoring it so I'm not constantly turning around asking "what was that u said?" If I did thatv it would b like a billboard above my head saying I'm spun. And I wouldn't have to worry about them "thinking" I was high, they'd know. And then there's getting lost cleaning a 12"x12" piece of counter top. Lol