• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Existential depression

I had no idea about Jamshyd's death. Sorry to hear that.

I remember scrolling through P&S threads years ago when he was still active on Bluelight and seeing that orange text and knowing that it was always a post worth reading, containing a great deal of thought and insight.

This topic also runs deep for me. I made a thread about it late last year in P&S, really with the same intention here just to express my thoughts and gather others. I've been dealing with it for going on 5-6 years now and it just seems to become more difficult with time, no matter how much I engage life it does not seem to console this feeling of existential frustration. It's as though I am un-able to trick myself into believing the world around me, as you said.. once it's seen, it can't be unseen.
i remember the thread well and believe a few posters (perhaps even you) said they had overcome 'existential despair' and i remember thinking that its not something you overcome per se, its something you have to struggle to fend off consistently throughout life.

i remember the thread well and believe a few posters (perhaps even you) said they had overcome 'existential despair' and i remember thinking that its not something you overcome per se, its something you have to struggle to fend off consistently throughout life.

I think I came back to the thread and mentioned I was dealing with it better but acknowledged that it will most likely never cease and circumstances may just as easily throw me back into the deep end. But yes I agree. It is something you have to consistently fend off throughout life, sometimes it's easier but ultimately it's always there.

Got an existential headache. Not thread related. Just try not to confuse transient physical symptoms with a state of incurable depression.

Whatever ended the depression is valid and worthwhile. Not a sad solution IMO. Ride it as long as you can and be glad you had it. That's life, ups and downs and you don't always get to pick which you get the most of. I think this type of depression has a lot to do with lack of community and shared empathy. Jung said something like "Loneliness is not the lack of people to be around but rather having thoughts and feelings that you are not able to share openly with them". I've been looking for my tribe most of my life and I've yet to truly find it. I live around tons of people but they go by in a dream. I live within my own thoughts and feelings and sharing them almost always makes the people I choose to share with very uncomfortable. That's my fate and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Most of humanity seems to be invested in repressing the very thoughts and feelings that would heal their lives if they were able to endure the fear associated with beginning to feel them. That's my take on it after 63 years of being lonely. I get much more from my dogs then I do from my species and I thank the stars they are here with me as I type this.

Thanks for this...

I would sum it up as lacking a sense of connection but you honed in on something specific I never thought of before.

You're definitely not alone in that, I'm right there with you.

You cannot be a thinking human, in this world, and not feel pain. Even unthinking humans suffer! Humans suffer from the very fact of our existence. It is what you get when you are born. How you manage the pain is what defines the quality of your life. I read a paraphrased quote from Camus saying that the majoirty of humans exist eternally on the brink of self-annhilation. What is a human being? Never have I encoutnered a usable definition, but if someone proposed that a human is something that suffers constantly, I would find that accurate. And yet, I think humans are lucky in comparison to other animals in that we have an abundance of ways to address our pain.

I've spent much of my life trying to flee pain and it keeps chasing me. I see you there, behind me, I see your shadow loom... One day- one day!- one day I might be able to turn to it and say 'hey pain, come here, now I want to know you'. For now, it hurts too much to experience. I look forward to the day when my depression and anxiety and addiction becomes just another fact like the sky, the universe, the orbiting teapot.

Last edited:
if anyone would like me to quote a few dead writers and philosophers just lemme know! :D But when i read about this topic what comes up again and again is what MDAO alluded to in the last thread. which is to avoid navel-gazing, and perhaps embrace altruism in some form. i suppose ideally you would attain wu-wei! or a higher 'flow-state' where you're living for something greater than yourself. since wu wei is not something that can be cultivated intellectually you run into this 'paradox of spontaneity' issue. i understand foreigner has probably tried all this. end ramble

You cannot be a thinking human, in this world, and not feel pain. Even unthinking humans suffer! Humans suffer from the very fact of our existence. It is what you get when you are born. How you manage the pain is what defines the quality of your life.

The wounded healer archetype (Chiron) really resonates with me and applies 100% to the life I've lived so far.

if anyone would like me to quote a few dead writers and philosophers just lemme know! :D But when i read about this topic what comes up again and again is what MDAO alluded to in the last thread. which is to avoid navel-gazing, and perhaps embrace altruism in some form. i suppose ideally you would attain wu-wei! or a higher 'flow-state' where you're living for something greater than yourself. since wu wei is not something that can be cultivated intellectually you run into this 'paradox of spontaneity' issue. i understand foreigner has probably tried all this. end ramble

I never tried wu wei, it just sort of happened like you said. I struggled for a long time with reconciling emptiness with the need to apply forms and definitions to my life, because nothing seemed to fit. It felt like any choice I made was phony, and creating more "karma" for no reason. It has been difficult to see through the underlying meaninglessness of everything. What changed is that I realized wu wei never goes away, no matter what I do or don't do. It's not "there" when you meditate and then "gone" when you go back to the world. There is no leaving or returning. So when you suffer, when you are joyful, when you are lazy or productive, it's all right there.

So really, just do whatever you want. It's not you who's doing it, it's the Dao.

So there's that aspect... and then there's the fact that I spent years denying my human level experience by trying to live in the Absolute. It's true that this is all just the Dao, but there is a tiny child voice in you that is denied every time you claim that nothing else is behind it. That child wants acknowledgment, it wants to hear, "But I am doing this!" And that child is everything. It is the origin of all your likes and dislikes, and joys and hurts. It is your true inner virtue.

It's all just Oneness at the end of the day, so why bother doing anything? Doesn't really matter if I live or die, have a fulfilled life or an unfulfilled one. But it starts to cause health problems eventually, when you abdicate your human level experience in this way... always deferring to Oneness. It shows up in your body or in your mind. The meat always drags you back down to Earth, eventually. There is a part of you that just wants to be you, and nothing else, and it doesn't care about what is real or unreal, it is real to itself. And that is the part that existential depression is based on... because we feel like that inner child is invalidated by this awesomely huge awareness of a formless Absolute. But the truth is that you're both. There are Jains in India who literally starve themselves to death in the forest in total abdication of this human level self. I think it's the wrong way to go about it. The Advaita followers are all like robots, all repeating the same "Oneness" themes, and it rings hollow to me. It feels good to be a me, to have preferences, to have true virtues that resonate with me (like being an herbalist and helping others to get well, even if their bodies all die eventually anyway). And yes there is a huge difference between starting out as a "me", and then returning to a life true to that "me" after discovering wu wei.

This is a strange analogy but... it's kind of like people who say that there's no point in worshiping a specific deity, like Shiva, or Freida, or White Tara, because they're all just part of the Divine anyway. But the point is, specificity. Yes, at the end of the day none of this matters, there is no inherent meaning or structure... but if you sit for too long with that Absolute, you deny giving it any form that fills you with life. So maybe I want to invoke Shiva into my life, to transform it?... knowing full well that Shiva is just another part of the Maya. But so am I, unique in all the world, so why not give an offering to that as well?

Your own personality level ego is much the same. I've known people who do psychedelics non-stop all year long because they think they've found the truth of the Absolute, and they probably have, but they aren't embracing their own aspect of that Absolute. The Absolute resides in you, as you.

Choosing a form that resonates with that inner child and feels good reunites you with your own humanity. I think that may be a solution. Going into my childhood memories of all those times I spent alone and just enjoying my own devices... there is a goldmine there about how to live as a veritable me that is not lost in this sea of Absolute, but is completely 100% in cooperation with it.

Sorry, that was a really long explanation.

Last edited:
I have gone the drug route, the P&S route, the travel route... anything to distract myself or to find an answer. I've developed an inner framework for dealing with this, but there are still days where it's like, ugh.... fuck this.

I can't help feeling there is something toxic in the system. Please excuse me for asking, but are you by any chance a chronic smoker, or coping with some sort of chronic health problem?
I'd like to rule out anything physical before saying more. By all means send me an email me if you prefer. And thank you for the opportunity to be of help.

flammarion-c1.jpg

Last edited:
Physical condition doesn't have anything to do this. I've felt this way long before I ever had health issues.

^How are you anyway foreigner? I've had a bit of a break through with my depression of late. Don't know what changed but I feel lighter. I started to use less drugs, prob a factor :)

I'm all over the place, but on the whole there's an upward trend I think. Some days I have no idea what it is that's sustaining me. Right now it would be nice to make some money. It doesn't solve everything but it helps. :)

Well, glad to hear there is some upward motion. Takes time. And yes, money. It doesn't make you happy, but the lack of can certainly make you unhappy. :\

<3

I'm all over the place, but on the whole there's an upward trend I think. Some days I have no idea what it is that's sustaining me. Right now it would be nice to make some money. It doesn't solve everything but it helps. :)

Enjoy those good days. For me they can disappear and return like shadows in the sun. I find that working on getting your subconscious mind to work for you can have a positive effect on that good/shit balance. This might interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQ5itk_Z2c

Gin doesn't help either

1428dccbcc5f7e04fdcc3e5815567f18.jpg

I love Edward Gorey. Put a smile on my face