• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Next day depression from too many sleep meds especially benadryl)?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced next day depression from taking too many types of sleeping medications the night before??

In particular I am USUALLY fine if I just take melatonin at night and even if I include 0.5 of my Klonopin script and sometimes a little Valerian Root.

However, sometimes even that doesn't fully put me out so I will take a few benadryls and THAT seems to be the real culprit as almost every time I do it I find myself very depressed, tired and lacking in motivation the next day.

I know people would say to just not do take it then, and believe me I try and would prefer to never take it ever, but sometimes when I have work early the next day and just can't fall asleep and I know that the benadryl will put me out (because it pretty much ALWAYS does)...it's very hard to make the decision, knowing I can get much less sleep, maybe even just a couple hours but not have taken the benadryl, or I could actually get the majority of a full night's sleep but still be depressed, tired and amotivated the next day.

Is there any scientific basis for why I could be experiencing this??

I mean I guess the combo of all those sleep drugs must decrease my sleep quality obviously and that could have these effects right??

But even if I were to skip the melatonin (which I don't like to do cause I react well to it as long as I don't take way too much) and took the bendrayl INSTEAD I will probably still be depressed and lacking in energy the following day.

So I want to know if anyone else experiences this and if there is a scientific reason this could be happening.

It almost feels like when I've been in Kratom withdrawal before or during times when I wasn't on a sufficient dosage of my SSRI for my depression (which is also in the mix as well of course).

And of course, any suggestions on increasing sleep quality and whether or not you think I'd be better on LESS sleep WITHOUT the benadryl are welcome.

I know I desperately need to cut down on caffeine and that's a big part of the problem but I've been unable to make much progress on that front for years either and despite how puzzling it is to most people, FOR ME cutting down on coffee is REALLY REALLY hard.

Thanks

Benadryl leaves me with similar symptoms, i never touch it for that reason. Is your type of insomnia a difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep?

This might sound counterintuitive, but try taking your klonopin earlier in the day. I took quite a bit of it daily for several-6 years and it would actually keep me up almost in a gently stimulating way if i took it too late at night. In fact my sleep was absolute shit the entire time i took benzos.

Benadryl leaves me with similar symptoms, i never touch it for that reason. Is your type of insomnia a difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep?

This might sound counterintuitive, but try taking your klonopin earlier in the day. I took quite a bit of it daily for several-6 years and it would actually keep me up almost in a gently stimulating way if i took it too late at night. In fact my sleep was absolute shit the entire time i took benzos.

No the insomnia is just difficulty falling asleep but barely any trouble staying asleep and I usually dont' wake up at all and if I do I usually fall back to sleep pretty quickly thankfully.

I honestly would not even call it insomnia, it's just that I don't keep a solid sleep schedule and have bad sleep hygiene I really need to work on and it's been a problem of mine for years.

I will go to sleep and wake up at radically different times depending on the day or if I have work or not which is OBVIOUSLY a bad idea.

I may go to sleep at midnight at get up at 7 or 8 if I have work early, then on the weekends or days off I may drink too much or even if I don't I could end up staying up till 4:30AM and waking up even as late as 2:00 or 3:00 which is kind of embarrassing and fucked up lol, but whatever, this is the mental health forum and we all have our issues.

So my body is always kind of confused as to when to go to sleep and I drink WAY too much coffee...another problem I am trying to work on and my goal is to get down to no more than 2 or 3 cups a day...even 1 would be AMAZING but I dont' want to get ahead of myself and risk failure.

So these are the obvious reasons for my sleep problems.

And I do take my klonopin when I first wake up but sometimes I take an extra 0.5 to help me sleep.

At the very least, even before I am able to cut down on caffeine I should be able to make myself keep a more regular schedule.

But I just wanted to find out if there was a scientific reason behind this happening, and if anyone felt it did this to them so I'm glad you mentioned it also happens to you.

Do you ever take any other sleep meds and if so, what are they and do you respond to them better??

Like I find if I take LESS than 4 millileters of liquid melatonin I sleep well, but if I go up to 4 or more MLs I'll sleep HORRIBLY and get nightmares, but it's a different kind of bad sleep than bendrayl, both bad, just no depression with the melatonin.

And do you know what the scientific reasons might be??

I mean I guess one might say it doesn't matter what they are, just that if something makes you feel bad don't use it, and that's true, but I was just curious because while I used to notice feeling tired the next day after benadryl and stopped in the past for that reason, only in the past week have I actually noticed DEPRESSION the day after.

It's really pretty bad, making me feel like I'm in some kind of opioid withdrawal or just really depressed.

The day after anything upward of 75 mg im left with tiredness lack of motivation foginess and sometimes headaches

Please forgive me as I tried to post a new thread, but was unable. I need help- I was prescribed 2 mg Klonopin on May 20 and have managed to get down to 1 mg. I have a history of tachycardia, but the klonopin is causing it daily and just heat, an extensive walk, or any sort of stress puts me into these episodes. Im even experiencing a fear and panic I have never known. I know I have not been on the medication long and the dose is low, but the effects on me have diminished my quality of life entirely. I can't do anything it seems other than sit around or I trigger an episode. Please, how do I get off of this medicine without worsening symptoms and withdrawal? Thank you