• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy pod tea addiction

Cascadia2016
I'm so glad you are still here and still making progress.
I'm shocked that you have had such intense withdrawals after only a week of kratom use, don't let it knock you back though, your so close to being done with all this.
I'd have jumped back onto kratom though for a short taper rather than back to pod tea, thats a personal opinion though purely because I can function better on a daily basis when tapering off kratom, pod tea has that long half life and I just couldnt find the energy to give a shit about anything during the day because of still feeling the effects of the tea from the night before.
Please check in when you can cascadia and let us know how your doing
Wishing you all the best :)

Cascadia -

I'm sorry you took a step backwards with the wds. Although, my guess is that you are still feeling some form of acute wds from the pod tea, I doubt it would be Kratom wds after a week. Also, at least for me, the wds don't just up and disappear, it's more like they come in waves for awhile. I can remember feeling like I felt better than the day before and then the next day it would hit me again - it's really frustrating. You just have to stick with it even though it sucks awfully bad.

One more thing - it may be best to avoid the pod tea from here on out and just stick with Kratom. Did you taper off of the Kratom over that 7 day period? Due to the half life of pod tea - it's possible you didn't give yourself enough time on the Kratom.

Hang in there!

- VE

Totally missed the part about the pod tea in my earlier post. . . Wow, sometimes I amaze myself. I wonder what I was doing this morning that had me so distracted. . .

Anyhoo, I hope you are finding your way Cascadia. You are still doing awesome, even with the hiccup.

Thanks everyone. I will definitely not be using any more pods until this is over. I was assuming kratom withdrawals because I had not had any poppy stuff for eight days, and I figured that was long enough, after having stopped the poppy taper at 4 g twice a day. I did taper the kratom, kind of... I did 3 days of kratom at 2tsp 4 times per day, followed by 1.5tsp x 4 for one day, then 1 tsp x 4 for a day. Then 1 tsp as needed. So 6 days on kratom, which I was afraid would lead to kratom dependence, so I stopped. Felt good for a day, then back to bad. *whew* (oh, and 12mg loperimide sprinkled in once or twice)
So I felt really bad again yesterday morning, and used the following logic: if I use poppies, then the long duration will get me through the last of the kratom withdrawal, and maybe I'll be okay. I didn't really consider the possibility that maybe I was still just in poppy wd after over a week. So I really hope I didn't just screw myself by taking all the poppy stuff yesterday. I ended up taking 4g three times over the course of about twelve hours. Today I have taken nothing, and felt okay until this evening. But still not too bad. Just cruddy... I will know when I wake up in the morning (if I actually sleep) whether I fucked up or not. If I did, it's back to the kratom.
So here's the question for you guys: how long can I go on taking 1 tsp (about 2.5 g) kratom throughout the day without becoming stuck on that? I know it varies from person to person, just looking for your experiences.
Thank you all again. It's so good to be able process this with you guys. My wife is super cool about all this... As long as I don't bitch too much about it ;)

2.5 grams of Kratom over the course of 24 hours is a fairly low amount. Honestly, I would say that you could probably take it for another week, if necessary. i would just recommend taking breaks and seeing how you feel.

Also, you are going to feel some amount of wds pain when you stop the Kratom. It shouldn't be too major, and you can taper down further than 2.5 grams for sure. Start spacing out your doses more than you do now, or just take less per dose. But be prepared to push through some minor wds in the end. What sort of wds were you feeling before you took the ppt?

You are doing awesome! Don't let this discourage you.

- VE

I think I worded that poorly... What I mean is that I take 1 tsp doses throughout the day. Each tsp is about 2.5g. I would hope to be able to keep it down to two or three times per day, so let's just say up to 8g daily. 'VE, you think there will be wds after only a week or two of that? Bummer... How long would you expect them to last?
I've been at this tapering for six weeks, trying to maintain well enough to make it through my very demanding work weeks, and it seems like it's been mostly pretty crappy. I sure hope it's over soon

Also, VE, the wd's were pretty gnarly on Saturday morning, and I had responsibilities that day I couldn't be sick for. So I dosed.... (in answer to your question above)
I felt like crap today. Going back to kratom to get through work.
Clairbellic, I just realized I totally hijacked your thread here, I'm sorry about that. Im very new to BL... If I need to do something different please let me know. I hope you are doing well :)

Perhaps you can start your own thread to document your recovery? Try not to be to hard on yourself. It took me years to get used to the ettiequte on BL.

Cascadia2016
No worries at all, I'm doing fine thanks, its just the mental cravings that I'm dealing with now, they really suck, I must be proactive and try to find something I enjoy for those now very boring evenings...

Yep I know what you mean. I'm looking forward to being done with all this, and dealing with mental craving and not physical ones. I'm lucky because I live in a state where marijuana is legal, and I will be able to soothe the mental craving with that...
So, how long did it take for you to be done with the kratom?

Cascadia2016 it took 10 days, I promised myself I'd only use it for 10 days, I'd searched google to find other people's experiences and 10 days seemed to be the normal amount of time to use it to assist with pod withdrawal. Dosing once a day and tapering down gradually from 25g to 15g until I jumped after 10 days. I had nearly a month free but I did use kratom last night, went out for Halloween trick or treeting with the kids and to a party afterwards and I don't drink alcohol but wanted to feel good so I did use kratom when the kids were in bed. I still don't want to continue using it and WON'T I just wanted to feel good along with everyone else. And I'm definitely never using pods again, haven't even thought about them since I quit exactly 1 month ago today!

I just hope there will come a day when mental cravings and boredom gets easier and more manageable, id love my mind to be free....

Rapid bupe tapers are good for a lot of people too.

Im not as big a believer as I once was. Not the way many detoxes are using it anyway. The last detox I went to gave you bupe every single day you where there except the last. Starting at 8mg last dose being 2mgs. It was predictably stupid as I just suffered once I got to the rehab which wasnt equipped to really help me. I know that's just an anecdote but I hear it more and more from people. If I had to do it over again I would just want benzos gabapentin and clonidine. 90 percent of it will be bearable with that combo.

^ i've only ever done it with self-administered tapering.
2mg is way too high a dose to jump off :(
That sounds like a very poorly run detox. 2mg is at least 10 times more than you should taper off to IMO/IME

^ i've only ever done it with self-administered tapering.
2mg is way too high a dose to jump off :(
That sounds like a very poorly run detox. 2mg is at least 10 times more than you should taper off to IMO/IME
It was Harbor Village Detox in Miami Florida. It wasn't well run in the slightest. But it has a slick website and employed one of the interventionists from A$Es intervention which I thought was funny. Treatment is so one size fits all that its really only smart to go to those places if you have a very average everyday addiction. Not too belittle people who are addicted to Norco or vicoden but that's really the kind of habit a 5 day bupe taper is designed for. People with large habits or maintenance drug habits are better off doing it at home or in an actual hospital where snap decisions can be made if something goes sideways. My experience kicking benzos at UAB hospital in Birmingham was night and day to that experience. The taper was still brutally fast but I knew I wasn't going to die if I had a seizure. That kind of piece of mind is worth something to me. The bill I got last week had some sticker shock but that's what bankruptcy is for :)

Last edited:
If you've only been on buprenorphine for seven days, 2mg isn't too high to jump off. I mean it would be ideal to have more time to go down further, but more inpatient detoxes have limited resources, as do the clientele (in America, the land of the war on drugs and the home of prohibition. . . ).

I missed getting high so I bought some more pods, 9 days, 40g a day, I'm still unimpressed, I dint know why I bothered, the first 3 days of using them were great, got super high and nodding then came the familiar trapped feeling, the insomnia and not getting high off them anymore. No plans to get anymore...god I miss kratom, I wish it was still legal here in the UK. That shits the best, tolerance doesn't shoot up like with pods, body doesn't ache, just a great high and no ill after effects. Anyway after 9 days will there be any withdrawal??

It depends. What were you using, if anything, prior to using for these 9 days?

It sounds like you were abstinent from all opioids for a period of time before using PPT recently. If so, how long had you refrained from using an opioid type substance?

If you were only abstinent for a week or less and then used PPT for nine days, then it is likely you will experience some type of withdrawal. I doubt it would be very severe, but that doesn't mean you won't feel like shit for a few days. At the worst it would only be four to seven days of ball sucking withdrawal. It will be manangible though.

What did you habit look like before: What opioid(s) did you use; How long were you using; How often did you use; What did an average dose look like?