• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy pod tea addiction

It's amazing how much better I feel after 6 days clear of the tea. I felt so trapped by it and hated that feeling, I never realised how it suppressed my emotions and personailty, I'm feeling more like myself and I'm excited about things again, I realised I haven't felt excited in ages, it's a nice feeling. I'll check in when my days of using kratom are up and let you know how I got on :)

Congrats, Claire!

you made a decision and stuck with it. Way to go! im so glad you are feeling better!

- VE

Last day of Kratom today, last week was harder than I thought it would be but to be honest I'll take the one week of kratom and some mild/moderate withdrawal effects compared to several weeks of tapering, not sleeping, feeling stressed, trapped and still feeling some mild withdrawal effects, I'd take that route over tapering anyday of the week. I'm still set on quitting tomorrow, actually don't have ant desire to continue using after today, looking forward to freedom

That's awesome, Clair! What amounts of Kratom were you taking when you quit? I hope the Kratom jump isn't too hard (it shouldn't be as long as you tapered a bit). Good luck!

- VE

Thank you Vast Empty!

I started at 25g a day at the beginning and tapered down to 15g a day, I don't tend to get physical withdrawal though from kratom so I'm hoping this time will be no different, fingers crossed anyway :)

Well done, Claire! I really hope this last part goes smoothly for you. I keep thinking about jumping off to kratom too, as I'm getting tired of the long taper, always feeling slightly off.... We'll see...

A week free now!!
Finished with the kratom last Monday and apart from a runny nose and a lot of sneezing ( I'd forgot that always sneeze lots when I stop using Kratom) I've been fine.
Kratom really has been a life saver for me this time, the whole poppy tea tapering thing was proving to be really difficult, being realistic I dont think it would have worked for me. I thought by just ceasing use of poppy tea and using kratom instead I would be able to free myself from one addiction without too many uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms, it might have worked better if I had taken krarom throughout the day instead if just once a day because of its short half life. But although the withdrawal was unpleasant, I would definitely recommend (if you have it available to you) kratom over a long drawn out pod taper!

Thats good, 2 months use isn't going to give any really bad WD's. I never quitted my 3 years daily poppy use with cold turkey but there were some cold turkey days when I felt like death, tramadol use is 10x easier to quit.

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you Claireabellc. I had a really hard time kicking my PPT habit. Detoxing from PPT was actually more physically painful for me than heroin was. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you Claireabellc. I had a really hard time kicking my PPT habit. Detoxing from PPT was actually more physically painful for me than heroin was. Keep up the good work!

You don't have to suffer WD if you know what to do.

What do you mean by that? I totally agree actually, given my experience using comfort meds to aid in detox. But back in the day, before I knew any better and had to suffer through shit like that cold turkey, PPT detoxing was just as bad if not worse than kicking a comparable heroin habit. Something about coming off two difference opioids (morphine and codeine in PPT) as opposed to just one (diacetylmorphine in ECP) really messed with my GI system I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by that? I totally agree actually, given my experience using comfort meds to aid in detox. But back in the day, before I knew any better and had to suffer through shit like that cold turkey, PPT detoxing was just as bad if not worse than kicking a comparable heroin habit. Something about coming off two difference opioids (morphine and codeine in PPT) as opposed to just one (diacetylmorphine in ECP) really messed with my GI system I think.

I know when I quit PPT I had some days when I run out of my helpful medicine, it felt like somebody was burning my body, every second felt like 1 hour and it was so painful and torturous that I could think only about committing suicide. I just dont think that if I have gone could turkey I would ever quit, maybe only if the WDs last one or two days, but if its any longer I just would use opiates again because I'm very sensitive when it comes to physical pain. Some people might think that only way to quit opiates is coud turkey, I think that is very wrong way to think. Some people think that after gone lots of good moments with opiates you have to suffer. There are lots of medicine to help go through WD very easily, many of these medicines are addictive by self so because of that its littel bit problematic for people of polydrug addiction. I myself was only addicted to opiate, so I used amphetamine, GHB, phenibut, Lyrica, gabapentin, lots of benzos, not taken all the same time, but every day something, like only lyrica on day, other day only GHB and so on. I can say that very rarely I had to suffer. I stopped using all the other drugs after the WDs were gone for good. I would never even think about going could turkey, I think if doctor says you have to go could turkey he is sadist. I think there is nothing so painful like hard opiate WD, so why should people have to suffer from it? I'm sure in the future there will be even more specific medicine to take almost all the WDs away. I think it has to be some kind of gaba-drug, because there have been medical studies using GHB to quit methadone and the results were very positive. But current war on drugs prevent any use of these medicines. Also ibogaine is one medicine but its something you shouldnt take by yourself.

Gotcha, prohibition makes successful detoxes nearly impossible. Thank you for your post Ne0, that was on the money :)

Gotcha, prohibition makes successful detoxes nearly impossible. Thank you for your post Ne0, that was on the money :)

No problem. :) I Always had problem with the mindset that you just have to suffer if you wan to quit, its so inhumane, most people won't want to stop using opiates because its so painful and torturous, many people maybe even choose suicide. With proper supervising doctor I think something like GHB should be used to quit opiates, other way is to change to much softer opiate and slowly drop its dose. Also Lyrica, gabapentin, baclofen and phenibut seems to greatly reduce WD's. Benzos IME dont help that much only with anxiety and muscle restlessness. I know there are very good doctor that might give you gabepentin in high doses and baclofen, they both help very well both mentally and phyically (but gaba needs 3g daily dose), but IME lyrica and phenibut is even better it, especially phenibut is good because it lasts 24h, I lost all the torturous feeling in my body and in my mind while on it. Doctors in here give you only immodium for diarrhea, some blood pressure medicine to cold-sweet feeling, thes ehelp little bit but these arent enough at all, immodium in very high doses (100mg+) will take WDs completely of, but only becuse in that dose it will cross BBB and bind opioid receptors, so actually it makes just the WD longer, so I would be very careful when taking immodium higher doses. My rehab center didn't even want to give me any benzo or gabapentin, they think its enough to give antipsychotic for sleep and immodium. Its not unheard that doctors say, that you need to suffer WD in order to stop.

I think only way to improve opiate addiction treatment is search for drugs (that arent opioids) that will take WD's away, especially if you quit methadone you will be in hell for so long time that its almost just easier to stay on it rest of you're life. Also kratom seems to be good for quiting opiates, but because it binds to opioid receptors Im not sure if it just makes the WD longer in the long term. IME some GABA-drugs in some way really help with WD greatly, not sure what is behind the mechanic in there, but they should look on it more.

Here is study about GHB on opiate WD:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8397726
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v9/n1/full/npp199345a.html

I know there is risk of addiction on any of these drugs, but while supervised by doctor and the patient understand that you really must stop after WDS are gone I dont see there are that much risks. The idea to use d/l-amphetamine to quit opiates I got from very old times, they gave cocaine or amphetime to opiate addict while on WDs, it helped but many got addicted to those stimulants, I took the risk anyway, and in my case luckily I could quit d/l-amphetamine after WDs were gone, but I really can suggest anyone else to try that way I know many people that got addicted to amphetamine by that way, its very risky but I really wanted to quit using opiates.

Last edited:
Rapid bupe tapers are good for a lot of people too.

Yes I have read about it. Also one guy told that after long heroin use he tapered down with methadone in one week and didn't have any WD's, not sure if it woks for all people. But I myself most likely take high enough doses to get high so that way wasn't good for me (like I did with loperamide, one of my favorite opiates, not joking at all, maybe I'm the few people who get very good euphoria and high from it).

I think I have had a success! I have been messing around with poppy pods and kratom for about a year and a half, and I have been physically dependent on one or the other almost that whole time. I had tapered down to 4 g of poppy pod grounds mixed into grapefruit juice and drunk twice a day. That took a while, started on Labor Day, first weekend of September, until last Friday. I was getting really tired of always feeling a bit off, especially the last couple of weeks as the dose got low. So last Friday, six days ago, I decided to jump to kratom. I was very concerned about getting hooked on kratom again, but this time it worked like it was supposed to. And just this afternoon, I finally felt normal again. The last couple of days were a little rough, but nothing that kept me from going to work.
Thank you to clairebellic and everyone for ideas and inspiration. This is a big deal for me.

And VE, thanks to you too. You're absolutely correct about kratom being the parachute that gets you to about two stories off the ground, and then drops you. But if you hang on any longer you really risk dependence. I did take six Imodium yesterday afternoon to sort of break the kratom cycle. That may have been critical

Oops. I was wrong. Intense kratom withdrawals for the last 24 hours. I felt so good after not dosing for an entire day that I thought I had it done. Nope. I guess I conveniently forgot that it can take a whole day or two for symptoms to occur.
So I'm just taking as little kratom as possible to stay functional. Yesterday was a bad day at work.. Today I have to be totally present and I am going to take a small dose of poppy pods, 4g. It has been eight days since ingesting poppies, and I am hopeful that the long lasting effects will maybe carry me through some of the last kratom withdrawals (I was only taking that for a week). I know it's a silly game I'm getting into, but I can't be sick all weekend, I have responsibilities. The goal is still discontinuance of these two substances. Sheesh...