• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

September Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Newspaper Carriers and Tardiness

my winter plans are tapering off clonazepam and saving some for Halloween though its my favorite holiday.if I don't have any clonazepam ill probably get drunk for the first time in 4 years

my winter plans are tapering off clonazepam and saving some for Halloween though its my favorite holiday.if I don't have any clonazepam ill probably get drunk for the first time in 4 years

Definitely taper off, and don't over-indulge on certain days. This can easily set you back.

Great to hear of your plans though! Best of luck :)

Definitely taper off, and don't over-indulge on certain days. This can easily set you back.

Great to hear of your plans though! Best of luck :)

How bad is it to taper off clonazepam if done correctly. I've been on these for many years under a doctors guidance I want to stop completely but when I mentioned it Doctor thought it wasn't a good idea but that was a year ago.

Last edited:
^ Under medical supervision I think it's fairly easy...ask your doctor to switch you over to diazepam and begin a gradual taper.

How bad is it to taper off clonazepam if done correctly. I've been on these for many years under a doctors guidance I want to stop completely but when I mentioned it Doctor thought it wasn't a good idea but that was a year ago.

For some people it's really hard, but on average it should be easy if tapered correctly.

For some people it's really hard, but on average it should be easy if tapered correctly.
When I had that conversation with my Doctor, I asked how we would do it once the time comes . I remember the doc saying .25 every 14 days if I remember correctly. Why do you think some people have problems stopping if tapered correctly?
I'm so ready to be done taking this med but know I can't just stop cold. Too many bad side effects. Deffinently my goal in the next year ...

^
Because Valium has a ridiculous half life so is best to taper with.
Have you ever read the Ashton manual?

Clonazepam also has a long half life, but diazepam is the standard. It's good to switch to another long acting benzo that is good with preventing seizures like diazepam, plus it has a well established history of the go to benzo detox/taper medication.

^
Because Valium has a ridiculous half life so is best to taper with.
Have you ever read the Ashton manual?
No, but I have head of The "Ashton Manual" regarding this but forgot until I read your post. I was was switch years ago from Xanax to K-Pin b/c of half life of Xanax. Is that a better way to discontinue the clonzapan even though my psychiatrist will never go for that. We have an excellent relationship thankfully!

Last edited:
When I had that conversation with my Doctor, I asked how we would do it once the time comes . I remember the doc saying .25 every 14 days if I remember correctly. Why do you think some people have problems stopping if tapered correctly?
I'm so ready to be done taking this med but know I can't just stop cold. Too many bad side effects. Deffinently my goal in the next year ...

The gaba-A receptor realigns itself, so that the gama and alpha-1 subunits are no longer adjacent, which eliminates the benzodiazepine binding site. The loss of this site means the drug can no longer make this receptor affected. When enough receptors are like this, benzo tolerance is super high, and the effects are barely noticeable any longer.

The gaba-A receptor realigns itself, so that the gama and alpha-1 subunits are no longer adjacent, which eliminates the benzodiazepine binding site. The loss of this site means the drug can no longer make this receptor affected. When enough receptors are like this, benzo tolerance is super high, and the effects are barely noticeable any longer.
wow, that makes sense. Where do you gain all of your knowledge from?
how do I know if his has happened to me w/ Clonozapam?

Doing pretty shitty, had a decent day walked and drove around a lot. I thought my direct pay would not clear until Tuesday. I just checked today and I got paid on Friday. When I woke up and saw the money first thing I thought was gotta cop but I did not. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Thanx for saying never give up the fight captain. I remember saying that to quite a few people when I was clean. I will not give up.

Nice man, that is no small feat overcome that urge there! You should try and do something small for yourself you enjoy today to reward yourself for a job well done!

^
I did something. I apologized to a friend that I hope to meet up with later. He is like a brother I'm just scared to cry like alittle bitch. I know that's what is going to happen. I will update as much as I can thanx.

It's okay to cry, if anything it will allow him to better understand how much he means to you. Just ask him for a hug or something if you get loose in the knees or anything :)

wow, that makes sense. Where do you gain all of your knowledge from?
how do I know if his has happened to me w/ Clonozapam?

I've had formal education, though the specific tidbit of information was shared on Bluelight by a moderator who was at the time working as a pharmacist.

Likely this has happened to some extent to anyone who has used benzos regularly enough to notice a remarkable tolerance increase, and/or dependency/withdrawal.