• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos seizure danger

DannyArcherbro

Greenlighter
Hey guys, so about 5 months ago so I was given roughly 300 2mg xanax bars. Never had benzos before, after trying them a few times, I took a couple bars a night for a week straight a few weeks after getting them and since then I have been taking them at least once a week , maximum 3 times a week in increasingly high doses, works out to around 4mg a day on average over the time span. Taking into consideration the fact that I didn't use them everyday, but also taking into consideration the days I did it was in high doses, is there any risk of seizures? or is that something associated with long term benzo use? I have access to more in case I need to taper, but it seems to stupid to take them everyday to taper off when I wasnt taking them everyday to begin with.

4mg is a really high dose and if you take it 3 times a week it could even accumulate in your system due to the half life of around 12 hours.

Seizures usually happen after month of high doses each day, but everyone reacts different and maybe you are prone to seizures but don't know it yet ? I've read a study saying that seizures can happen after only 2 weeks of normal/medium doses (but imo it takes longer and higher doses)

I'd say your best bet is to stop now as long as you can, benzo addiction will make everything worse and withdrawal is hell on earth.
Stop now and if you're feeling withdrawal signs (shaky hands, panick attacks etc.) take a little more, just enough to get you out of withdrawal. Do this till you don't have to take any more and flush the rest of your stack down the toilet.

Good luck

Maybe switch to a longer acting benzo if you've been using daily for over a month or two and then taper down.

Something like clonazepam or diazepam.

Read the ashton manual for a good guide on benzo tapers.

Not exactly trying to quit completely, if I use say 5-6 mg no more than twice a week, my body should adjust to that, and that dosage isn't going to cause any really bad effects if I suddenly came off it right?

5-6mg is a relatively high dose. I think doing that twice a week for any length of time would cause some bad effects for most people if they suddenly stopped.

Xanax can turn your life into hell, any upside really isn't worth it!

This is that asymptote that nobody really knows. That is how the length of time taking Benzos and amounts accumulate risk over duration for someone like you taking high doses spaced out. I've never read someone having a seizure from spaced out dosing like that, but at 4-6 mg that's batting a thousand.

But yeah id for sure taper if I was you unless you wanna play with death, full blown benzo WD is 10x worse than opiate withdrawal imo

i would strongly suggest selling off (or throwing them away) as many as you can to get them outta your pocession. that many bars is weeks worth of blackouts IMO. keep about 20 bars for a fast taper and never mess with them again. benzo's are bad trouble if used for recreation. good luck

I been taking more of something equizalant for well over a decade.

And yes I have seizures in jail.

I've had multiple seizures after short high dose benzo binges. For example i once ate 100x 2mg alpratsolam, 100x 2mg clonazepam in about a week. I was hospitalized because of seizures afterwards. I've been hospitalised for about 7-8 times.

Alpratsolam (Xanax) is the worst, so i bet you WILL seizure if you stop cold turkey. You need to slowly taper down, I recommend either with clonazepam or diazepam: they have a long half-time and they are very effective anticonvulsants. Even the tapering will be painful and hard.

People have died from stopping long time use of benzos without treatment. So yeah, benzo withdrawlas can be lethal, unlike opioid withdrawals

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-acute-withdrawal_syndrome

"Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndromeoften abbreviated to benzo withdrawal—is the cluster of symptoms that emerge when a person who has taken benzodiazepines, either medically or recreationally, and has developed a physical dependence undergoes dosage reduction or discontinuation."

Last edited:
All good, off it since Sunday, Thursday afternoon now feeling fine, no headaches, sweats or tremors at all, think I slightly exaggerated my situation a little, only used on consecutive days very rarely and even with the high doses it would have had enough time to clear my system between most doses. Will update again in a few days to let you guys know, thanks for all the help it is appreciated.