• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

So, how do you get a random crappy job these days?

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Hey SO,

I'm in need of your sage wisdom again. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions without contributing much of my own advice to the forums, but who wants advice from a clueless kid like me anyway?

My employment situation right now is literally driving me insane (working in a shipping warehouse for minimum wage). It's so mind-numbing that I get stoned on indica-dominant weed every morning before work just so that I can sleepwalk through it -- and I don't even really like weed to begin with! I'm studying music production & audio engineering right now, which is a blast, so I have a solid long-term plan. The problem is, it could be months before that turns into a lucrative profession, and for my own sanity I seriously need a breath of fresh air.

Here's what I want. Given my traits, can you throw out some suggestions for places to look for unskilled jobs? I'm a very introverted, shy, geeky type; so I'm not exactly going to be a bartender. I'm well-groomed, and reasonably good-looking, but one major setback is that I don't have a massive pair of tits (I'm a male). Since almost all of my audio work is done on computers, I like the idea of working with my hands, putting some elbow-grease into my job, and hopefully even getting some sunshine. I'm generally a huge fan of nature, animals (sans homo sapiens), and fresh air.

Fire away!

Last edited:
My employment situation right now is literally driving me insane (working in a shipping warehouse for minimum wage). It's so mind-numbing that I get stoned on indica-dominant weed every morning before work just so that I can sleepwalk through it

Ugh. I have worked in distribution warehouses on and off for the last five years and I understand where your coming from. I just resigned from a full-time warehousing position I had for two years back in June (major disagreement with management and their handling of situations). There's usually three types of people who work there: Those in debt, those studying and those that are unsure of what they want to do. I had plans to finish off the year working, so unfortunately I may have to go back to something similar for three or four months. I've been working towards some big plans in 2017 for a while now.. will be so happy to never do that work ever again.

Since almost all of my audio work is done on computers, I like the idea of working with my hands, putting some elbow-grease into my job, and hopefully even getting some sunshine. I'm generally a huge fan of nature, animals (sans homo sapiens), and fresh air.

Based on this perhaps gardening or landscaping work? A friend of mine recently quit his boiler-making trade because it can be a stressful environment with a harsh culture associated with it. He was working at his grandparents nursery for a couple of months and decided "hey, this is actually enjoyable and relaxing' so he's now doing landscaping work (cleaning up gardens, yard maintenance etc) while studying it part-time. If he had work for me for a couple of months I would jump at it in a heartbeat over going back to warehousing.

I'm not sure where your located, but here in Australia almost everything is through recruitment agencies or word of mouth. It seems the days of contacting places directly for work are long gone.

Last edited:
Hey Malakaix, thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

I'm not sure where your located, but here in Australia almost everything is through recruitment agencies or word of mouth. It seems the days of contacting places directly for work are long gone.

I live in southern California, and the situation here doesn't seem to be much different. I've contacted a lot of different businesses, and have been interviewed a couple times, but so far no luck. I think the supply for unskilled labor far exceeds the demand.

personal assistant for disabled people? at least where I live, it pays well, flexible hours, and probably good for your karma or something ;)

you should be comfortable with stuff many people would find offputting though (allthough you can find jobs where hygiene is not your responsibility).

Hey SO,

I'm in need of your sage wisdom again. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions without contributing much of my own advice to the forums, but who wants advice from a clueless kid like me anyway?

My employment situation right now is literally driving me insane (working in a shipping warehouse for minimum wage). It's so mind-numbing that I get stoned on indica-dominant weed every morning before work just so that I can sleepwalk through it -- and I don't even really like weed to begin with! I'm studying music production & audio engineering right now, which is a blast, so I have a solid long-term plan. The problem is, it could be months before that turns into a lucrative profession, and for my own sanity I seriously need a breath of fresh air.

Here's what I want. Given my traits, can you throw out some suggestions for places to look for unskilled jobs? I'm a very introverted, shy, geeky type; so I'm not exactly going to be a bartender. I'm well-groomed, and reasonably good-looking, but one major setback is that I don't have a massive pair of tits (I'm a male). Since almost all of my audio work is done on computers, I like the idea of working with my hands, putting some elbow-grease into my job, and hopefully even getting some sunshine. I'm generally a huge fan of nature, animals (sans homo sapiens), and fresh air.

Fire away!
A zoo
A wildlife centre
A vet
A national park and wildlife officer
A ranger
The dog pound
A fishing vessel
Anything on the ocean
Dog walking
A dog kennel
Nature tours
A library - because you sound quite intelligent

Hey SO,

Fire away!

why dont you work somewhere where you can network and even strengthen what you have a passion for...go on meet up and find like minded, musically inclined individuals and combine your thoughts and feed off each others energy.

if you are musically inclined, then nows the time cause if you are determined and find a good vocalist, youtube is dishing out money for entertainers, of all walks of life.

step by step guide for anyone 19-21 years old! (heavy drug user, with psychosis so, you know, simple ;)

NUMBER 1. BE HONEST. excluding your drug use, pretend for a minute your smarter than your employer (potential)
try: gas stations, fast food, AUTOMOTIVE, AUTOMOTIVE AGAIN (god its so easy and good money) uh.. harbor freight
NUMBER 2. realize that honesty works better than credentials in "crappy jobs"
so, basically walk in, be super confident, and keep the LONGEST conversation going you can.
NUMBER 3. dont go sober for your interiew.
.................................................................but by god dont over do it. take your threshold dose and collect your composure. jobs aint hard to land my friend