• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Stems and Kief

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
How do I do it? I've heard many things but don't know what to do. I heard sitting the stems in a plastic bag in your freezer for 4 or more hours will get you a bunch of kief. Will this work? What method does work?

Well no, why would stems magically turn into kief in a freezer? They are completely different things. Kief is resin and stems are........well, just stems.

Clearly he's talking about using some method to remove the kief from the stems. I would recommend a kief box. It also does help to freeze them first, makes the tricombs fall off more easily.

I personally save my stems till I can do a wash or a tincture with them.

Clearly he's talking about using some method to remove the kief from the stems.

*high five*

OP, like 240sx said, kief boxes are good for this. You could also use a 3- or 4-chamber grinder to collect the kief.

Your method's on-point. Freeze the stems that are covered in trichomes for several hours, and then figure a way to remove the trichomes from the stems. You can grind them, bang them over a flexible screen, tumble them in a kief box.... your imagination's your limit with this one.

Just do your best to completely separate kief from stem, because smoking stems pretty much sucks. You won't get the purest kief, but it'll be an infinitely better experience than smoking whole stems.

Every part of weed you get can be useful hahah. There's more highs to be had than just the buds! :!

Clearly he's talking about using some method to remove the kief from the stems. I would recommend a kief box. It also does help to freeze them first, makes the tricombs fall off more easily.

I personally save my stems till I can do a wash or a tincture with them.

There is that much kief on stems? Shit, I should have just kept my mouth shut, I suppose.

Sorry about that, I try not to make a habit of butting in when I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's a work in progress.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go cry about all the stems I've thrown out.

It's not a huge amount, but hey man, it's completely free. I use leafs and trim and shake if I have any also. Makes a decent product after you save up for a few months.

Canna butter is your friend. Loads of resources around. Grind up follow instructions make butter and then make some "special" cake. Why waste energy and valuable smoking time trying to get enough kief when you can make party cake quickly IMHO.

Stems and dust belong in the trash god damnit!

If you want to sacrifice a bunch of kief go ahead; stems are not garbage.

I save up my stems, place them in a clean grinder with a clean penny and then place that in the freezer for 8-10 hours. Gently shake it the net day and watch the kief accumulate.

Tom

I haven't posted in years, but logged on just to answer this question.

I do this ALL THE TIME. Even if cannabis is legal here in Oregon, I always save my stems. Alright so what you do is take a pill bottle (or better yet, one of those pop-top containers from dispensaries that bud comes in) and fill it 1/3 to half full of stems. Toss the bottle in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes, and then take it out and shake it like a maraca! But with one finger on the top of the bottle and your thumb on the bottom. Repeat a few times, then take a sifter or screen and carefully remove the stems but try and keep the kief in the bottle. Put stems aside, and then on a clean surface, open and place the bottle upside down and tap it a few times. Put stems back in along with some "fresh" unfrozen stems, rinse and repeat. It's worked for me flawlessly for years, I never EVER throw my stems out because there ARE trichomes on it that are worth this small "hassle" in the end.

Try it, you'll be surprised!! Great to be back, BL!

-Brian

Last edited:
^Think you need to go hang out with your peers at GrassCity

^ think im gonna be sick

Why? Is there something about this merely physical process that upsets you? It's taking advantage of low temperatures and mechanical agitation.

So you don't like dry sift hash?

Tom

^Think you need to go hang out with your peers at GrassCity
Hahahah, oh my dear god is that site horrific. It makes me fucking hate cannabis culture, if everyone there is a representation of stoners everywhere. I personally only visit there for edible/extract recipes these days, as they have that on point...

Glad to see puff puff gone, was wondering when the ban would happen. Who the heck advocates throwing out perfectly good cannabis products!? Shit man, I may go get out my trim stash and make me some hash for this week, just to spite him :p

Last edited:
Hahahah, oh my dear god is that site horrific. It makes me fucking hate cannabis culture, if everyone there is a representation of stoners everywhere. I personally only visit there for edible/extract recipes these days, as they have that on point...

Glad to see puff puff gone, was wondering when the ban would happen. Who the heck advocates throwing out perfectly good cannabis products!? Shit man, I may go get out my trim stash and make me some hash for this week, just to spite him :p

He's probably already here... :sus:

GrassCity was dope af when I first started smoking. I think I got more weed-related information from GC than anywhere else growing up, even though I don't think I ever posted.... but the major demographic over there has certainly evolved over the years in a way that I definitely don't appreciate.

It's a good place to start, it was the first drug forum I posted on, back in like 2008. Just have to be careful not to get caught in that phase... It was also a bummer when they got rid of other drug talk in Pandora's Box

As far as stems, I throw em out... but low grade kief is so cheap here that it's just not worth the effort. If I wanted to try a new dispensary they'd probably give me a free gram of kief just for joining... I once get a FREE OUNCE of kief for spending like $100 at a dispensary. Seriously shite stuff but free's free.

It's a good place to start, it was the first drug forum I posted on, back in like 2008. Just have to be careful not to get caught in that phase... It was also a bummer when they got rid of other drug talk in Pandora's Box

As far as stems, I throw em out... but low grade kief is so cheap here that it's just not worth the effort. If I wanted to try a new dispensary they'd probably give me a free gram of kief just for joining... I once get a FREE OUNCE of kief for spending like $100 at a dispensary. Seriously shite stuff but free's free.

It was mine too. Pandora's Box was my favorite place to post on that site. Sometimes I liked to help with newb question threads. At this point I just don't enjoy the climate, nor the attitude they generally have there towards people who drink or use other drugs.

I've never been able to purchase kief anywhere. I just make my own extracts of old shake generally, or pull stuff from my grinder. Wax is finally popular here though so there's that.

It was mine too. Pandora's Box was my favorite place to post on that site. Sometimes I liked to help with newb question threads. At this point I just don't enjoy the climate, nor the attitude they generally have there towards people who drink or use other drugs.

I've never been able to purchase kief anywhere. I just make my own extracts of old shake generally, or pull stuff from my grinder. Wax is finally popular here though so there's that.

I can't purchase it, but I can produce a substantial personal stash, though. Pretty impure, but as long as I dry my buds out I de-kief the hell out of them in a grinder with huge second chamber, a dime and a nickel. [Side-note: after a few weeks of use, the coins develop a really thick "finger hash" on the edges of them. Bonus!]

I know it's impure because there's a slight lime green tint to the final product (it varies from near off-white to a dark green depending on whether I dried the nugs out too much), but I average about a 10%-15% (+-5% ) yield by the gram.... and I smoke a gram or two a day, so that optimistically close to a quarter gram of kief a day adds up fast as a mother fucker. It's also pure enough to be heat-pressed into a real amateur hash material... burns, doesn't melt, but that shit is a completely different, more flexible texture than simply compressed kief that turns right back into powder the second you apply pressure.

... there's a slight lime green tint to the final product (it varies from near off-white to a dark green depending on whether I dried the nugs out too much), but I average about a 10%-15% (+-5% ) yield by the gram.... and I smoke a gram or two a day, so that optimistically close to a quarter gram of kief a day adds up fast as a mother fucker. It's also pure enough to be heat-pressed into a real amateur hash ....

Now I need a sandwich, just reading that is making me hungry.

I grew once a few years ago, it was so nice to have an indoor garden. We just did a single crop for personal use, just for the experience. I will now gladly pay market price, lol we got mediocre results and we busted our asses sparing no expense etc. I think to be true farmers you have to be in it for real but it was amazing to do it once.