• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

drug to replace benzos?

simonlepret

Greenlighter
I am approaching 30 days clean off my benzo addiction, but I am now pretty much housebound. Communicating with people is very difficult. Is there anything that can ease anxiety similar to benzos that is maybe not as addictive?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I already have a script of gabapentin, but was told not to take it.

have you tried Busiprone? its a non-benzo anxyliotic - admittedly it didn't do much for my anxiety as i had quite a tolerance to etizolam at the time but its worth a shot, right?

Before you start taking a relatively potent drug like Buspirone, which has its own host of side effects, first give yourself some credit for being free of benzos for so long.

Then, try taking some Kava-Kava alcohol tincture, preferably one made strictly with stems and roots (like HerbPharm), since the leaves are hepatotoxic. It helped me taper off the benzos the first time and I used it as needed for anxiety and to stay off of benzos for about a year. Just 40 drops, a single dose, was more than enough, although sometimes even 10-20 drops worked, as well.

What did you eat today? Slow-release carbs like oats or whole grain bread? ~30g of protein with each meal? How often do you eat meals? How much exercise did you get this week? How many minutes a day on average? Do you take 10-15 minutes off from your day to engage in mindful meditation? How many hours of sleep a night do you get on average? What's your caffeine intake like? All of these things matter more than you can imagine when it comes to both anxiety and depression. Drugs are not always the answer, and can make things worse in the long run. Your best bet is to address simple sleep/exercise/nutrition/mindfulness issues and see where you're at, then if that doesn't work then you can always get yourself prescribed some drugs. You owe it to yourself to explore all the options, however.

I quit benzos and Gabapentin type drugs 2 weeks ago, now I take phenibut daily. Its very similar but without the sexual or energy problems. I took 2g/day the first week now I'm on second week 3-4g/day

^lol, phenibut. Even taken once a week, that shit is ridiculously physically addictive, with a different GABA-B dependence similar to GHB/GBL that needs to tapered off of with Baclofen since sometimes even benzos (GABA-A) don't help that much when tapering off of phenibut.

oh dude, i don't think Bus will even touch the sides if your on phenibut, you should really be finding a replacement for that asap

<edit> I just realized I was replying to strity1994, not simonlepret, so, yeah, Hydroxyzine hydrochloride is another non-benzo or z-drug that is prescribed for moderate anxiety. its actually an antihistamine, a first-generation one i believe - these tend to be quite sedating btw. google it, it actually did help me a bit.

Last edited:
Before you start taking a relatively potent drug like Buspirone, which has its own host of side effects, first give yourself some credit for being free of benzos for so long.

Then, try taking some Kava-Kava alcohol tincture, preferably one made strictly with stems and roots (like HerbPharm), since the leaves are hepatotoxic. It helped me taper off the benzos the first time and I used it as needed for anxiety and to stay off of benzos for about a year. Just 40 drops, a single dose, was more than enough, although sometimes even 10-20 drops worked, as well.

What did you eat today? Slow-release carbs like oats or whole grain bread? ~30g of protein with each meal? How often do you eat meals? How much exercise did you get this week? How many minutes a day on average? Do you take 10-15 minutes off from your day to engage in mindful meditation? How many hours of sleep a night do you get on average? What's your caffeine intake like? All of these things matter more than you can imagine when it comes to both anxiety and depression. Drugs are not always the answer, and can make things worse in the long run. Your best bet is to address simple sleep/exercise/nutrition/mindfulness issues and see where you're at, then if that doesn't work then you can always get yourself prescribed some drugs. You owe it to yourself to explore all the options, however.

I eat 3 balanced meals a day, I try to eat low carbs. Probably not 30g's of protein. For the past week I haven't really excersized at all because I continue to feel worse and worse. I've never meditated. I currently take trazadone and depakote, so I sleep a good 7 hours. I drink a cup or two of coffee a day.

Today I decided to take a shot of vodka, some may call this a little bit of a relapse but whatever. I've been taking the depakote for 3w now, 500mg ER and havent noticed much of a difference.

I quit benzos and Gabapentin type drugs 2 weeks ago, now I take phenibut daily. Its very similar but without the sexual or energy problems. I took 2g/day the first week now I'm on second week 3-4g/day

HUGE MISTAKE! You just detoxed off of Gaba-A receptor agonists (congrats btw) and you introduced a Gaba-B agonist...phenibut wd is dangerous and like benzos